Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching English in Queensland

Teaching English in Queensland

Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:05 am
Just Joined

christo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching English in Queensland

Hi, I am an English Teacher in Secondary School, I have been in Australia for 4 years and teach at a private school.I would like to hear about other English Teachers from the UK who are teaching English in Queensland.I went through all the struggles to get registered and get a job (already outlined on another thread) I am pleased I have a job but have considered giving up teaching more times over the last 4 years than ever before. In my experience there are very little details in the curriculum guidance, critical literacy has completely taken over and affects everything you do, and marking, why is it so hard to get a clear idea of standards. Guidance seems to be sending your sample off to panel who decide whether your marks are right without any information coming from anywhere. Is this the experience of anyone else???
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:17 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching English in Queensland

Yes.

Yes, and...

um...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm an Australian teacher, trained in Queensland. I remember one of my units at uni was a semester studying the assessment system in Queensland. It was the most mind numbing, ridiculous pile of crap I ever listened to, and the assignment was a complete joke (explain the assessment system...ARGH! Can ANYONE explain the system??)

I taught briefly in London and for a while in Scotland. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to have trained over there and then come here!

If you want to be even more annoyed, come to NT/SA!! They don't even have A-E or VHA - VLA! I've just started over here and they have this vague "High, Medium, Low" on criteria sheets, but NONE of the others teachers use this style (they all use their own ideas, some using A - E, some using percentage, some using a mark out of 20!!!). Nobody told me, of course. So I used what was on the criteria sheet and had classrooms of kids rioting and wanting a B or a mark out of 20!!! And don't even get me STARTED on the actual reports! What a farce! There is not a single teacher in the school who appears happy with the system.

And what is SOSE??? I'd like to find the person who invented it and...:curse: