Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching Business Education in Aus

Teaching Business Education in Aus

Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Jennie E is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Business Education in Aus

Some advice needed please! I'm an NQT Business Studies teacher in the UK and looking to move to Aus in the next couple of years or so, but from looking at advertised vacancies on state webpages, I'm worried my subject is going to be really difficult to find a job over there.....can anyone give me any advice on this?

Also, for visa application purposes, how many years work experience do I realistically need to stand a chance of qualifying?

Many thanks
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:32 am
Just Joined

JD Mower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching Business Education in Aus

Hi Jennie

Cannot offer you any advice at the moment I am afraid! However, I am in the same boat as you. I complete my PGCE in Business Studies at the end of June and am flying straight to Melbourne on a WHV. Will let you know if I have any joy!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:13 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Jennie,

You have two main options:

1. A skilled independent visa (136) if you can get the points this is definitely the best option. (138 if you have any family in Australia who could sponsor you).

2. Get sponsorship from an employer (unlikely) or a state (but likely to be a temporary visa and you may have to work in a regional area for 2 yrs).

Have a look here: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/index.htm
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:14 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

JD Mower, for most skilled visas you need 12 months work experience. Unless you work for the entire year on your WHV as a teacher you will need to look at other options.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:31 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

could be that the jobs are advertised under different names? subjects can be different over here. I"m currentlyteaching Business Studies in the SOSE curriculum (you will find SOSE or something similar is operating in most states/territories. it's a combination of History, Geography and Economics/business studies and if you are qualified in any one of these you will called on to teach SOSE. I'm history qualified and absolutely hate it).

I know at our school business studies exists in Year 11 but those teachers also teach Accounting, Economics and sometimes IT and RE!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Jennie E is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies everyone

JD Mower - Don't you have to have completed your NQT year in order to get teaching work abroad? Do let me know how it goes though! And congrats on completing one of the most hellish years of your life!

ws99 - Thanks for that - would definitely prefer the 136 route, just concerned in case I don't have enough experience and my subject holds me back!

Saoghalbeag - That's really useful - thanks! My history and geography's a bit rusty, but really good to know that Business is included there somewhere and I'm able to teach something vaguely related at least!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:32 pm
WS

The advantage of a 136 or similar is that you aren't constrained to a state or to teaching. So you could do something else (or nothing!) whilst looking for teaching jobs.

You will probably have enough points after 3 yrs working (inc NQT year) although in Sept 07 the visa requirements change.

Good luck!