Teaching employment

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

lou666 is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching employment

Hi all,
Planning on moving to Perth in October. Trying to find the best way of finding employment while still here in the UK. I am an a Primary school Assistant Head Teacher. Finding it difficult to plan my next move. Any help would e appreciated..

Lou
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching employment

Originally Posted by lou666
Hi all,
Planning on moving to Perth in October. Trying to find the best way of finding employment while still here in the UK. I am an a Primary school Assistant Head Teacher. Finding it difficult to plan my next move. Any help would e appreciated..

Lou
Hi have you looked on www.seek.com.au good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Oh and welcome to BE there is loads of info and friendly peeps on here who will help you out.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi all,

Lou
Hi,

You need to decide if you want to work state or private. You will need to register with WACOT either way. Private schools pick their own teachers, just like schools in the UK. Employment in state schools is more complicated and VERY disorganised (eg I work in a very popular area and there are plenty of teachers without jobs but our school has been 'under-appointed' THREE teachers. Kids come on Monday to empty classrooms.)

G
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

lou666 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi,

You need to decide if you want to work state or private. You will need to register with WACOT either way. Private schools pick their own teachers, just like schools in the UK. Employment in state schools is more complicated and VERY disorganised (eg I work in a very popular area and there are plenty of teachers without jobs but our school has been 'under-appointed' THREE teachers. Kids come on Monday to empty classrooms.)

G
can i register for wacot while still in the uk
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=lou666;5874089]can i register for wacot while still in the uk[/QUOT

Have you thought about getting a state sponsorship? I was at the emigrate show last year (in Surrey again this March) and they were desperate for teachers to work in WA.
I know that you're a deputy head but have you got 4 years of tertiary education (degree level)? I have a 3 year BA (hons) in Primary Education and Teaching with QTS and am a reception teacher here in the UK but I am not qualified to teach in Aus!
Try e-mailng this lady and see if they are still running the programme if you are interested [email protected]
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=GillyG;5874853]
can i register for wacot while still in the uk[/QUOT

Have you thought about getting a state sponsorship? I was at the emigrate show last year (in Surrey again this March) and they were desperate for teachers to work in WA.
I know that you're a deputy head but have you got 4 years of tertiary education (degree level)? I have a 3 year BA (hons) in Primary Education and Teaching with QTS and am a reception teacher here in the UK but I am not qualified to teach in Aus!
Try e-mailng this lady and see if they are still running the programme if you are interested [email protected]
Hi Gilly

The "emigrate show" you refer to - do you have any more details or know ehere I can go for them. I am a teacher too, in Surrey and present and looking for work in NSW before I emigrate.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Aquamarine;5874901]
Originally Posted by GillyG

Hi Gilly

The "emigrate show" you refer to - do you have any more details or know ehere I can go for them. I am a teacher too, in Surrey and present and looking for work in NSW before I emigrate.
Yep it is at Sandown Park race course on Sat/Sun 1st/2nd March. Try this link http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/shows_and_publications.htm
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I would double check but WA stopped taking primary teachers on sponsorship and concentrating on High School teachers. Thats what they said in September.

However you should be able to find your own job here.

GEMs
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=GillyG;5874970]
Originally Posted by Aquamarine

Yep it is at Sandown Park race course on Sat/Sun 1st/2nd March. Try this link http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/shows_and_publications.htm
Gilly- Thank you so much!!! This website (and its subcribers) are fab!!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=GillyG;5874853]
can i register for wacot while still in the uk[/QUOT

I did the 3 years BA(hons) and was short of 1 assignment for the fourth year. They are deciding at the moment if they will give me RPL but it is not looking good. I have been told I will probably have to do a years full time course which is going to cost me $12,220. Think I will stay in childcare as they are desperate for qualified staff over here.

Debs
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

richandcarol is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not too sure if WA is like South Australia but if it is don't think you can just apply and get a job. There's a whole list of things to do before you can even become registered to teach.

Applicable to Adelaide you have to (Even though you have had your skills assessed by NOOSR as part of the visa application)

register to teach - to do this you need a list of references, statement of service, certified copies of transcripts (in particular your degree/QTS transcript as this needs to meet certain requirements - e.g. has to be 4 years equivalent including degree and not the 3 year qualification that some people in the UK could do a few years back) and a certified Child protection certificate - you can only get this certificate when you have done a training session in South Australia.... so i couldn't even apply to be registered until i got here.... fortunately for us we booked a validation visit and we did the training during that time.

Apply to the department responsible for placing teacher's in jobs (DECS here in SA) which you again need a whole list of things including transcripts, statements, child protection, teacher registration and a first aid certificate from training undertaken in SA (BACS first aid course) Then they ask you to choose areas, skills you have (backed up by experience and qualifications) and then you can eventually get your authority to undertake relief teaching letter - they rarely in SA offer you a school with a permanent job (unless you fancy going to the country) You have to get good links through relief teaching and then schools can work it to offer you employment.

I've arrived 31st December in Adelaide - i did my first aid training before term 1 started and now i have just been asked by a school to do a term for a teacher. This is usually hard to come across and in Term 1 in SA you normallly only get days work until you build good realationships with schools.

Now that i am working if a leadership role is advertised (These are the only roles schools can choose to appoint people into themselves) then i can apply for this.... I couldn't apply for it from the UK as they have certain laws and one of them was to have undertaken a day's teaching for the department during the live application time.

I was fortunate as i learnt through friends that came to Australaia first. 1 friend had to waitress for 3 months whilst she phoned home to get all the appropriate documentation she needed to teach - so it's worth investigating whether or not they have similar requirements in Perth and get as much done before you get over here... you can access all the SA forms online through DECS website but not sure about Perth's.

And another thing if your registered to teach in one state that doesn't automatically qualify you to teach anywhere... you have to apply to transfer registration etc....

Good luck..... i have to add you'll find schools very different to the UK... and the outdoor facilities i have seen here and fantastic!!!! and the weather means no more wet plays (not yet anyway) although i have been told they do have hot plays!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road

HI

Another thing to consider is more paperwork...if you plan to teach in a Catholic school, then you need to get Catholic clearance which is obtained by taking your passport and police check to the Catholic office which then grants you a letter to confirm you can teach in Catholic schools.

I had a terms work during term 3 and have only had sporadic TRT since. Nothing at all since early Nov. Demoralising.

Someone else mentioned it but getting sponsored as a teacher doesn't mean a thing when it comes to getting a job. A have a few friends who came here on the sponsorship visa and they are unemployed the same as me. Some agencies can be found who can also help but ultimately if the school doesn't ask, it won't get.

Some schools find out who is next on the list to be allocated for the subject concerned. In some cases the teacher may have a reputation for being useless in which case the school will pay out for relief teachers rather than tell DECs or the equivalent that they have a vcaancy.

Libby
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:36 am
captain

captaingriff is an unknown quantity at this point

hey hi eveyone just a quick question im wondering if anyne can fill me in. I am a hairdressing teacher from the uk and taught at a college. I have nvq level 3 and assessors (d32/d33) and internal verifyers (d34) and cert ed in education. does anyone know if you can RPL them to australian qualifications, because if i want to teach again,which i do, in oz they reckon iv gotta go do cert 4 in assessment in oz qualies! i have found out that they dont even have anything higher than an english level 2, and i know in qualifications iv got more qualies than oz actually have on offer does anyonne have any answers for me as i was a hairdressing teacher for 7years in uk and really want to do it here but dont want to study again for the qualification i already have???? im so frustrated
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

You could try getting hold of the overseas qualifications unit in the nearest city to where you want to go. I had to have my childcare degree transferred across because of licensing laws.

Means I am over qualified for my job at the moment but can't do any of the lower qualifications as TAFE and ECU don't recognise them that way.

Give it a go.

Debs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.