Teaching employment

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Teaching employment

[QUOTE=woody1cruiser;5875215]
Originally Posted by GillyG

I did the 3 years BA(hons) and was short of 1 assignment for the fourth year. They are deciding at the moment if they will give me RPL but it is not looking good. I have been told I will probably have to do a years full time course which is going to cost me $12,220. Think I will stay in childcare as they are desperate for qualified staff over here.

Debs
I also have the NNEB as well as my degree so would be more than happy to work as a childcare worker. What is the money like in that line of work? I have heard that its low but I'm a qualified teacher here in the uK and am earning just over £20,000 so used to living on a low salary! What agencies would you recommend (we're planning on going to the Gold Coast area, give or take a couple of hours drive).
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Hi

I'll PM you so we don't hi-jack the thread.

Debs
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi

I'll PM you so we don't hi-jack the thread.

Debs
Re WACOT. You can register with them 2-3 months before arrival in terms of sending them all your documents and making sure things are as ready as they can be. You will still have to undergo an Aussie Criminal Records Check as soon as you enter the country (I went from airport to WACOT office!) and then you get membership 2 weeks ish later.

HTH,
Gemma
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

alwyck is an unknown quantity at this point

I am teaching in Victoria..Here you need to register with the VIT and apply to schools directly yourself...either primary or secondary...lots of jobs are only contract for one year unless you are willing to live in the country...good luck
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

tynajon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alwyck
I am teaching in Victoria..Here you need to register with the VIT and apply to schools directly yourself...either primary or secondary...lots of jobs are only contract for one year unless you are willing to live in the country...good luck
Howdy,

Im in process of applying to move to Vic to teach, so any insight into Vic schools then Im all ears. cheers

tyna
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxall22
Re WACOT. You can register with them 2-3 months before arrival in terms of sending them all your documents and making sure things are as ready as they can be. You will still have to undergo an Aussie Criminal Records Check as soon as you enter the country (I went from airport to WACOT office!) and then you get membership 2 weeks ish later.

HTH,
Gemma
My experience in WA is that most things state-run in terms of education is shambolic.

WACOT - they asked for certified copies of everything, which I supplied whilst living in the UK. When I arrived they wanted to see all of the originals also! (So why have certified copies?)/

Dept for Education - I have heard dreadful stories of teachers being treated very badly - very much a like it or lump it situation. (Teach in Port Hedland or don't teach - it doesn't matter that you are married with teenaged children)

My advice would be that unless you can get guaranteed permanent work (a feat in itself - I heard yesterday of teachers with 12 years of experience still being temporary) in a state school in a location where you want to be, I would only teach in the private sector.

I teach in the private sector and enjoy the work. If I had to teach in the state sector I would leave teaching. I'm sorry to say that it appears that the WA government treats education with contempt.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

HTH,
Gemma

Anyone know if I can apply to register in NSW before I get my visa (doesn't look like it from website) or any suggestions for doing anything useful re. registration before visa arrives - (apart from get certs and docs needed certified and ready of course)? Any helpful hints welcome!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:39 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Hi, new member here and find this disucssion very informative!

I am looking into the WA Visa sponsorship for high school teachers. I can't seem to find a definitive list of what counts as rural. Is it just anything outside the Perth metropolitan area?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

SammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really nice

HTH,
Gemma
That's useful information thanks Gemma.

Looking on the WACOT website I see that I can't do anything until I have that all important visa, in terms of registering but is it worthwhile putting the feelers out to schools during a recce visit in March. Skills assessment returned, PR visa application has been sent but going on holiday to Perth area.
I'm sure we're all the same but I really want to try and get something secured before we got out permanently, am I barking up the wrong tree or is it worth just seeing how I get on. Are there supply agencies there as there are in the UK?
My father in law keeps sending clippings from newspapers saying how desperate they are for teachers but the authorities don't seem to want to make it easier for well qualified overseas teachers to get employment. What is your impression?

Any advise or information would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
Sam
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SammyT
That's useful information thanks Gemma.

Looking on the WACOT website I see that I can't do anything until I have that all important visa, in terms of registering but is it worthwhile putting the feelers out to schools during a recce visit in March. Skills assessment returned, PR visa application has been sent but going on holiday to Perth area.
I'm sure we're all the same but I really want to try and get something secured before we got out permanently, am I barking up the wrong tree or is it worth just seeing how I get on. Are there supply agencies there as there are in the UK?
My father in law keeps sending clippings from newspapers saying how desperate they are for teachers but the authorities don't seem to want to make it easier for well qualified overseas teachers to get employment. What is your impression?

Any advise or information would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
Sam
Hi Sam,
There are only two ways to secure employment before you have WACOT registration. One is get sponsored by the department of education (ie go remote/very rural) who will fast-track you, two is to get a job in a private school who will employ you 'pending' wacot registration.

You can put the feelers out if you want, but it is not the same as doing so in the UK. No, the DET do not make it easy for overseas trained teachers. I know lots of unemployed teachers in the Bunbury area, the shortage is really only in not popular areas, the media is a little misleading.

There are agencies in Perth for supply (aka 'relief') but do not know of others elsewhere. Even if a school wants to employ you, because you have 0 transfer points as a foreigner anyone with more points the gov can force the school to take, regardless of relevant skills/what principal wants.

There are ways for principals to play the game though. I have a job via merit-select. The school chose me, then the gov forced them to take someone else, then the principal 'realised' another job was needed to be filled and 'cos it was last-minute the gov took her suggestion. It's a rubbish system, us teachers in WA are striking this week!

HOpe this info helps,
Gemma
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

lou666 is on a distinguished road

Hi Sam,
There are only two ways to secure employment before you have WACOT registration. One is get sponsored by the department of education (ie go remote/very rural) who will fast-track you, two is to get a job in a private school who will employ you 'pending' wacot registration.

You can put the feelers out if you want, but it is not the same as doing so in the UK. No, the DET do not make it easy for overseas trained teachers. I know lots of unemployed teachers in the Bunbury area, the shortage is really only in not popular areas, the media is a little misleading.

There are agencies in Perth for supply (aka 'relief') but do not know of others elsewhere. Even if a school wants to employ you, because you have 0 transfer points as a foreigner anyone with more points the gov can force the school to take, regardless of relevant skills/what principal wants.

There are ways for principals to play the game though. I have a job via merit-select. The school chose me, then the gov forced them to take someone else, then the principal 'realised' another job was needed to be filled and 'cos it was last-minute the gov took her suggestion. It's a rubbish system, us teachers in WA are striking this week!

HOpe this info helps,
Gemma
Hi Gemma,
You've outlined pretty much everything I already knew about getting a job in WA. Not good! How did you apply for a job via merit select?? I really wanted to have something sorted before we go out in November, but haven't got my teacher ID number yet because I haven't done my entry and orientation program (obviously because I'm still in the UK)

Lou
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

SammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really nice

Hi Sam,

HOpe this info helps,
Gemma
Thanks for that Gemma,

Blimey, what a mess. I'm pleased for you that you obviously had the skills and experience to impress the principal of a school and she was prepared to, in a sense fight for you. I hope I'm as lucky.

I think I'll look into the private sector. State sponsorship isn't for the hubby and I. We certainly don't want to end up in the back of beyond and as we don't have any children, we'd be further back than those with children I shouldn't wonder.

I'm not surprised teachers are striking as all I've heard are negatives surrounding the state of the education system. I hope you don't mind if I ask some more questions in the future.

It certainly reads like I have a fight on my hands and lots of paperwork to get through!

Thanks again Gemma!

Sam
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

lou666 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SammyT
Thanks for that Gemma,

Blimey, what a mess. I'm pleased for you that you obviously had the skills and experience to impress the principal of a school and she was prepared to, in a sense fight for you. I hope I'm as lucky.

I think I'll look into the private sector. State sponsorship isn't for the hubby and I. We certainly don't want to end up in the back of beyond and as we don't have any children, we'd be further back than those with children I shouldn't wonder.

I'm not surprised teachers are striking as all I've heard are negatives surrounding the state of the education system. I hope you don't mind if I ask some more questions in the future.

It certainly reads like I have a fight on my hands and lots of paperwork to get through!

Thanks again Gemma!

Sam
Hi Sam,
I'm a bit further on than you as I've got my Visa already and it was based on my skills in teaching. My skills were assessed by AEI NOOSR and they requested everything, University stuff to look at what modules I'd done each year at Uni and they also wanted evidence of my teaching practices that I'd completed whilst at Uni, even though I had evidence that I had been teaching for 9 years in the UK as a qualified teacher- My certificate stating that I had a BEd (Hons) wasn't enough. It's a bit scary really because WACOT have asked for the same stuff as NOOSR did. You'll have to provide all this info to WACOT too and it has to all be certified. If you need any help with any of it then just give me a shout. I can't understand why they make things so difficult.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lou666
Hi Sam,
I'm a bit further on than you as I've got my Visa already and it was based on my skills in teaching. My skills were assessed by AEI NOOSR and they requested everything, University stuff to look at what modules I'd done each year at Uni and they also wanted evidence of my teaching practices that I'd completed whilst at Uni, even though I had evidence that I had been teaching for 9 years in the UK as a qualified teacher- My certificate stating that I had a BEd (Hons) wasn't enough. It's a bit scary really because WACOT have asked for the same stuff as NOOSR did. You'll have to provide all this info to WACOT too and it has to all be certified. If you need any help with any of it then just give me a shout. I can't understand why they make things so difficult.
Hi Lou,

Well done on getting the visa, that's half the battle. We've been teaching about the same length of time from the looks of things. I did a BA followed by PGCE which Teaching Australia were fine with, I hope this is going to be ok with WACOT (this again is a little frustrating because although your skills have been assessed by Teaching Australia, you then have to go through it all again by each of the states - oh well, ours is not to reason why ).

Who/What is AEI NOOSR, please pardon my ignorance as I'm sure I should know what this is but haven't the faintest idea.

What do you intend on doing - try to get things sorted or wait until you're out there? I've got all my docs still - well the agent still has everything (do you know if can he countersign them or do I need to get a solicitor to do it for WACOT?). I'd love to say that I have a job for when we go there as I am a worry wart but it looks as if there are just too many barriers Is that how you feel?

What are others experiences of the education systems in Aus?

Sam
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road

Hi

AEI/NOOSR were the skills assessing body for teachers. I think they have been replaced with Teaching Australia.

You will need certified copies of all your documentation for the teacher registration process in your state plus all the same documents for your registration into the state system - or at least that is how it works here in SA.

If you go to a private school, as there is no central assessing body, the head of payroll does it so you need all your documents for them to have a look at every time you change job - although in fairness they do give them back.

In SA you can see the justice of the peace and get your documents done for free (within reason) which is handy, done there and then. Of course when you walk in with 3 copies of everything to be signed, best do it in smaller visits!!!!

Teaching in SA is frustrating. There is no shortage that I can detect in metro areas i.e. closer to the city. However as migrants we cannot afford to go off into more regional areas to teach, or the vast majority, as we stay nearer to civilisation for the sake of our kids. I am generalising here so please don't attack me! I know teachers working as carers, nurses, and one was offered work as an unqualified childcare assistant!!!!!! $12 an hour for a teacher with about 20 years experience, shocking...

Permanent work is hard to come by and with so many teachers coming in off the boat so to speak, there are plenty to choose from. I tried to get work for when I got here from the UK but at each school, I was told to wait until I got here and then apply. They would not consider me as a candidate until I was in Australia.

Libby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.