Teaching in Bermuda

Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

LostintheCopperbelt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Bermuda

I have just seen a job advertised for a teaching post in Bermuda. The job is offering between $80-$90,000 pa. Would there be much life there for a single 20 something man. My current job has not landed me in the most exciting of places and looking for a change, with a bit more of a social. I know it is expensive, but could I live well on the above salary?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

jamierobinz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Bermuda

I was in Bermuda as a single person for a year working as a teacher. the money was great, I sent the equivalent salary home each month. However, the lifestyle was difficult. All of the other ex-pats seemed to be in couples and there was definite segregation between the ex-pats and the native Bermudians which surprised me.
After 2 months I had done the nightlife to excess and there was little left to do but more of the same- Front Street for the ex-pats and Tourists- Back Street for the Bermudians!
Ok there is certainly plenty to see and do on the island, beautiful beaches, gardens and if you are willing to fit in with the Bermudians (unlike many of the ex-pats) many other opportunities for adventure and excitement. However, if you are after clubs, girls, parties etc as most do in their early 20's and single then you will have to consider spending more to fly to NYC or Atlantic City on a regular basis.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:51 am
Professional expat

Bartowel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Bermuda

Hi, I spent several years in government secondary school as a teacher. I am from UK but with 10+ years international experience. I would say be careful. Government schools are challenging (think inner city UK), administrators and colleagues generally inept (basically locals who 'fancy' the job and get there through the who-they-know network). Lots of racism by locals towards white expats, especially UK expats, despite fact that Bermudians are part of UK and hold British passports! Island very small - just 22 square miles. Nice beaches, but cold and wet in winter months. Cost of living extremely high (budget around $200 for a half decent meal, plus another $100 for few beers after). Once tourist season ends, lots of bars etc either close or have limited hours, entertainment etc. Flights to and from island are expensive, and you will need to escape to NYC, Atlantic City, Atlanta etc regularly as life on the rock can be very insular. I saw all there was to see in the first month there. Shopping is limited, prices very high, and accommodation very expensive for what you get (I paid $1800 a month for a small 1 bedroom flat over some locals garage!). If you are considering the private schools (Saltus etc) then you may do a little better as you will have lots of other expat colleagues and students. Government schools are rough. PM me if you want more specifics. As I said, been there and one that.....