Swimming

Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:02 am
Just Joined

wanttoteach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimming

Hi,

Do you have to be able to swim to teach in New Zealand. Have read somewhere that teaching children to swim is priority in some schools.

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Re: Swimming

No idea but I would imagine it would be essential if you are a PE teacher!!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

twins-mum 02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanttoteach
Hi,

Do you have to be able to swim to teach in New Zealand. Have read somewhere that teaching children to swim is priority in some schools.

Thanks
I taught in NZ, as did my other half - although he is a PE teacher - and neither of us were questioned on teaching of swimming. We are both secondary.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

We are hopefully heading to WA and I have never been asked about my swimming either but a good mate of mine who lectures student PE teachers says it's essetial as with their 1st aid and swimming survival badges. I'm assuming NZ is the same. However, I did know of someone who taught PE in NZ and he had no prior swimming / taching experience.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

wanttoteach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sorry should have said I am primary trained teacher - blame it on the wine
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Then in that case I doubt that it would be essential for you. Best of luck and enjoy your wine - I'll be topping my glass up shortly for dinner!
Alan