Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

A Surplus of teachers in WA by 2010

A Surplus of teachers in WA by 2010

Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default A Surplus of teachers in WA by 2010

A good friend of mine has just emailed me to say think twice about moving to WA next year. Apparently they will have a surplus of 750 teachers. This sounds so conflicting as recently I read that they expected a shortage of teachers by 2010. I know the UK are talking about qualifying teachers within 6months but the Aussies must be talking about doing it in 6 weeks!!:confused

I would like to know how much more they favour teachers with a PR compared to those on temporary visas!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Alk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Surplus of teachers in WA by 2010

Hi there. It would be interesting to know where your friend got his information from?? My understanding is that there are no (or very few) teaching vacancies in WA at the moment so I don't understand where the surplus numbers will appear from unless there are plans to close a lot of schools or major redundancies etc?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Cheers,

Part of the email says:

I am just preparing a lecture and I was thinking about you and how I hadn’t heard from you in a while – Scary!

There is an issue that you should be aware off and I urge you to do some research. WA has come in line with the other States with regard to the age students enter K-1 and High School. Apparently, there will be a surplus of 700 teachers over the next 5 years. Not sure how this can be as we have the same number of students in schools and previously there has been a shortage of teachers! I think it has something to do with the age range that teachers have experience in.

I’ll try and locate the email I received from a colleague and send it to you.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Not convinced by these numbers.
As recent news has said that Australia has had a baby boom in last couple of years, with record births recently due to parents getting $5000 for each baby!
So with a baby boom, they reckon their will be more school places needed in the future.

All these extra babies will have to go to school and hubbies school is turning kids away now as full. Also Australia has steady stream of migrants arriving daily to fill up schools.

Gems

Last edited by Gems; Mar 17th 2009 at 9:07 am.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and the other thing is from this year in WA the kids cant leave at Year10 and so need to stay on an extra 2 years. Only those with TAFE place or some official training can leave.

So lots of more kids will be in Year 11 and 12. So in theory extra teachers needed for them and they will not all want to do TEE (Uni academic subjects)

Gems
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:42 am
CJL
Just Joined

CJL is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had some e mails recently from principles in WA schools along the same lines, about sudden excess of secondary teachers in WA despite a shortage of 100 teachers at the start of the year. I have yet to unpick what is happening, something about a drop in students moving into secondary, despite an increase staying on to years 11 and 12. I did find this DET pdf if it is of interest: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/C...rojections.pdf
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:17 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJL
I have had some e mails recently from principles in WA schools along the same lines, about sudden excess of secondary teachers in WA despite a shortage of 100 teachers at the start of the year. I have yet to unpick what is happening, something about a drop in students moving into secondary, despite an increase staying on to years 11 and 12. I did find this DET pdf if it is of interest: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/C...rojections.pdf
Not relevant to me, but I hope that it indicates something positive for primary teachers. Good luck

Cooler
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJL
Does look like there will be demand for those willing to wait