Rural teaching?

Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural teaching?

For those who dont want to extreme differences.

My research has led me to think Victoria state is best place for rural teaching.
Those who want small town rather than middle of a desert!

The state isnt as big as others and so not vast distances in between. Its also supposed to be greener than say WA.

They have permanent sponsorship for high school and early years.
For primary it is temporary visa.

But Victoria is probably safer bet if you are not sure you can hack it some place remote.

Here is link to info on visa sponsorship in Victoria.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1

Gems
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gems
For those who dont want to extreme differences.

My research has led me to think Victoria state is best place for rural teaching.
Those who want small town rather than middle of a desert!

The state isnt as big as others and so not vast distances in between. Its also supposed to be greener than say WA.

They have permanent sponsorship for high school and early years.
For primary it is temporary visa.

But Victoria is probably safer bet if you are not sure you can hack it some place remote.

Here is link to info on visa sponsorship in Victoria.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1

Gems
Gems,

By sponsorship I guess you mean the STNI route which as you point out is very different to the 457 temp visa. In brief there is no restriction on where you live in Victoria and after 2 yrs you can move anywhere in Oz.

Of course you need to get sponsorship in the first place - my subject is on the list - what's yours? Also the qualifications need to be ratified through what was NOOSR and you need to have teacher reg.

Have I missed anything?

Bezza

p.s. Have you had any contact with the Live in Victoia organisation? Almost attended a seminar last night in B'ham but it seemed to be more medical practicioner orinentated and in the end I suppose it's what you'll find on the site in any case.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its the STNI - permanent sponsorship. So you have to stay in that state for 2 years. But get the permanent perks at the start.

Primary is SIR - temporary. This is for two years. Then the education department sponsors you for permenanent visa if you have fullfilled your 2 years in the district/school.

We are Primary so not on the Permanent visa. Only the temporary visa!

Permanent visa is better, but if you are Primary temporary is the only thing on offer in most states.

I have spoken with someone who went on STNI as a high school teacher in Victoria. They have only been over a short time. But managed to get a job as soon as the visa was finalised. They had interview over the phone (whilst in the UK). Then flew over to start. They have even bought a house!

More jobs are advertised around October for the Jan/Feb start of school year.

Gems
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gems
Yes its the STNI - permanent sponsorship. So you have to stay in that state for 2 years. But get the permanent perks at the start.

Primary is SIR - temporary. This is for two years. Then the education department sponsors you for permenanent visa if you have fullfilled your 2 years in the district/school.

We are Primary so not on the Permanent visa. Only the temporary visa!

Permanent visa is better, but if you are Primary temporary is the only thing on offer in most states.

I have spoken with someone who went on STNI as a high school teacher in Victoria. They have only been over a short time. But managed to get a job as soon as the visa was finalised. They had interview over the phone (whilst in the UK). Then flew over to start. They have even bought a house!

More jobs are advertised around October for the Jan/Feb start of school year.

Gems
Gems,

Being secondary (IT / DT) the STNI is the obvious way forward - Skilled Ind not feasible due to maturity (age not behaviour)!

Good to hear about the succesful emigrant - its the job side that causes me most angst with 2 children etc. My wife is primary trained but would have PR on my visa application.

My worry was a colleague who relocated to Vic about 7 yrs ago: she was Ausralian and had lots of experience but failed to land a permanent Biology job for three to four years!

Have been to Melbourne and surrounds on two occasions to date - would prefer a rural location given the size of the metropolis but a job would be the first issue.

Bezza

Last edited by bezzanbob; Mar 29th 2007 at 8:22 am.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bezza have pm you
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I am in regional Victoria and I would suggest that it is well worth a look. We are in a small city but can go to Melbourne for a day trip if we want to so it isn't completely in the middle of nowhere. This lady may be able to help anyone that is looking at heading to the NE Victoria area [email protected] Wendy Mitchell is the regional migration coordinator and is really worth a chat to.
Good luck and let me know if you end up in the area and fancy a coffee .
Nicky
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyP
I am in regional Victoria and I would suggest that it is well worth a look. We are in a small city but can go to Melbourne for a day trip if we want to so it isn't completely in the middle of nowhere. This lady may be able to help anyone that is looking at heading to the NE Victoria area [email protected] Wendy Mitchell is the regional migration coordinator and is really worth a chat to.
Good luck and let me know if you end up in the area and fancy a coffee .
Nicky
Nicky,

Thank you for the coffee - we'll pass on this occasion but you never know.

Thanks for the contact.

Out of ineterest what schools are ther in your area - specifically what rpivate schools are there whcih are worth a look at?

Bezza
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Private schools are more in the likes of Albury/Wodonga which is NSW (well Albury is) and there you have Scotts college which is very good. Then in Wangaratta there is Cathedral College which is a new, small private school which is growing each year. Other than that you have the Catholic schools which are independent but not really the same as a private school, even though politically they tend to be lumped into the same basket. I am in the local Catholic College for my teaching rounds this week and have been very interested to see the funding disparities. Most catholic primary schools will require a Catholic Education Course for all teachers (I know that they run the same sort of thing in the UK) and it would go down well with secondary schools as well.
Good luck and Wendy is well worth a contact as she will have more specific information.
Nicky
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyP
Private schools are more in the likes of Albury/Wodonga which is NSW (well Albury is) and there you have Scotts college which is very good. Then in Wangaratta there is Cathedral College which is a new, small private school which is growing each year. Other than that you have the Catholic schools which are independent but not really the same as a private school, even though politically they tend to be lumped into the same basket. I am in the local Catholic College for my teaching rounds this week and have been very interested to see the funding disparities. Most catholic primary schools will require a Catholic Education Course for all teachers (I know that they run the same sort of thing in the UK) and it would go down well with secondary schools as well.
Good luck and Wendy is well worth a contact as she will have more specific information.
Nicky
Nicky,

Thanks so much - apologies for copious typos in last message - teacher eh?

Will most certainly contact Wendy Mitchell anon.

Bezza
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:24 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid Queensland. Primary positions are like hen's teeth here. I am out of teaching now because of lack of jobs. We did go outback to a secondary school but my husband could not find work so we ended up back in Brisbane.

I am originally secondary trained but retrained as a primary teacher. I was told by a teaching agency here (there are not as many as in the UK) that I would need to forget about teaching primary and think about teaching secondary. Luckily I got a job where I had a mix of senior and junior classes. That is the advantage of outback schools. You can sometimes mainly teach senior classes. However you get back into the city and it is back to those first days of teaching being given all the grotty classes that noone else wants!

I did supply teaching in Brisbane for a while but it was awful. Maybe I am just older now and less patient but the classes I used to get supply teaching in London were nothing on these kids! Obviously it would be very different having my own class but the jobs are just not there so I have found something else for the meantime.

Good luck with the job search when you get here!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

nudefrogtrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I see its been a while since anyone has added any posts on this thread but was hoping to try and get some info/stories from people who have successfully been granted a WA state sponsored Visa and relocated to teach. Where have you ended up? What have your experiences been? Do the packages the government offers for a remote/rural location compensate for where you are? What are the schools/kids/curriculums like? How long did it take to get your visa.

Me and my partner are currently looking into this option in order to get over to Oz. Both WA and Vic offer sponsorship but I dont think VIC supply you with a job on arrival but they do offer a permanent visa. So many things to consider.

Any help and advice would be great!

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lara_jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I came across this. I am thinking about a rural post. Will have to pm some of you. I'm a primary school teacher, will be coming out on my own and worried about feeling alone. I don't mind rural, as long as I can get on the internet! and go horse riding. I do mind the heat though.