Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Skilled migrant visa Australia(teacher)

Skilled migrant visa Australia(teacher)

Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future
Default Skilled migrant visa Australia(teacher)

Hi all,

After some advice on emigrating to Australia !

I am currently completing a PGCE in primary education and was wondering what the chances are of emigrating to Australia after only 2 years of teaching?

I realise the fact that (I think) the pass mark for entry is 120 points so am hoping I can generate these. I will be 29 at the time of applying and was born and bred in the UK. Hopefully this will allow me to obtain the maximum points for language. My partner is also training to be a teacher but will also only have 2 yrs experience at the time of applying too. Does this mean that I can gain another 5 points for my partner meeting the 'basic' requirements?

What I am trying to see is whether all of these will help me to reach 120 points or not and allow me to get a skileld migrant visa?

If anyone is able to offer any advice or help I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Van
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skilled migrant visa Australia(teacher)

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Hi all,

Just a quick note: I'm not sure if you've already worked out the points like this but being born and bred in the UK only gives you 15 points and not the full 25. To get the the extra 10 points (thats if you do need 25) you need to take an exam IELTS (or something like that) to test your English skills. You will find more about the exam if you do a search on the Australia part of the forum

I made the same mistake thinking I automatically got 25 points
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

nudefrogtrev is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently looking into this type of VISA and was wondering if anybody knows how long it takes for the whole process? Is it longer of shorter than if someone applied for a skilled migrants visa?

Thanks for your help

Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

I am currently completing a PGCE in primary education and was wondering what the chances are of emigrating to Australia after only 2 years of teaching?

I realise the fact that (I think) the pass mark for entry is 120 points so am hoping I can generate these. I will be 29 at the time of applying and was born and bred in the UK. Hopefully this will allow me to obtain the maximum points for language. My partner is also training to be a teacher but will also only have 2 yrs experience at the time of applying too. Does this mean that I can gain another 5 points for my partner meeting the 'basic' requirements?

What I am trying to see is whether all of these will help me to reach 120 points or not and allow me to get a skileld migrant visa?

Regards

Van
teaching for 1 year will get both you and your bloke the max points i.e. 60 for you and 5 for him. As bubblegum said you will need to take the english test for the 25 points for speaking english. At 29 you should get 30 points for your age.

That should get you 120 points (assuming both you and hubby pass skills assessment etc) which currently is the pass mark. Do be aware that the points requirments and points for each component can change at any time. If I was you I would apply sooner rather than later, i.e. after 1 years teaching not 2 just to be on the safe side as teaching for 2 years gets you no extra points.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Thats great news about the points ! Do you know much about the IELTS English tests that we have to sit in order to get the extra 10 points?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

I don't know that much about it to be honest (I haven't got around to looking yet) I know that there are four parts to the test and you need to score at least 7.0 in each part to get the 25 points awarded

You might get some more info here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that link. I noticed on there that it says that if you hold a passport from certain countries, including the UK, you do not need to sit the test??! Was a little unsure as to what this actually meant.

Hows your application going? You off to Vic?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that link. I noticed on there that it says that if you hold a passport from certain countries, including the UK, you do not need to sit the test??! Was a little unsure as to what this actually meant.

Hows your application going? You off to Vic?
It is true that if you hold a UK passport you don't need to take the test, but if you don't take it you only get 15 points for being a passport holder.

To get the 25 you need you have to sitt he test and get over 7.0 on all 4 components (reading, writing, listening and speaking), some native speakers do struggle with this so the general advice is to practice and not take it for granted you will succeed.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lara_jane is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, I am applying for this visa as well. Where are you thinking of heading to? Had an email from agency in Brisbane today. It's looking like I will have to just go for a rural school.
Really confused about what to do. Do I go for it? Stay here - Don't have a permanent job here at the moment either. It is hard to get a good teaching job here as well - Surrey. I used to commute 40 miles each day to Bracknell.
I wasn't born in the UK, born in Germany to british parents (forces) will this cause a problem. We were only there until I was 2.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, thinking of WA of all the states. Know that we will have to do some sort of rurual teaching first but then would ideally like to settle in Perth in a few years.

Only just beginning the enquiry process really but it is a definite for us in terms of emigrating !
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Regards

Van
Can I ask if you've actually got a job lined up? Can take a while to actually get a job in the UK. Wouldn't be counting on things being so simple as you're making out on that front, are a lot of people who become disillusioned when trying to actually find a job they've trained 4 years to do and go off and do something else. Why not wait until you're actually working and gaining the experience before worrying bout emigration
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Can I ask if you've actually got a job lined up? Can take a while to actually get a job in the UK. Wouldn't be counting on things being so simple as you're making out on that front, are a lot of people who become disillusioned when trying to actually find a job they've trained 4 years to do and go off and do something else. Why not wait until you're actually working and gaining the experience before worrying bout emigration
Thx for your kind words of wisdom but yes I have got a job lined up for September. I Realise how the emigration process can be quite a long winded process and how you have to research into it well in advance !
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Thx for your kind words of wisdom but yes I have got a job lined up for September. I Realise how the emigration process can be quite a long winded process and how you have to research into it well in advance !
You must have found a lucky hens tooth somewhere, not heard of anyone having a job lined up whilst doing PGCE