Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

relief teaching in Perth - maths teacher

relief teaching in Perth - maths teacher

Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

lorrir82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default relief teaching in Perth - maths teacher

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum. I have just arrived in Perth on a WHV and have received my WACOT reg. Is there anything else I need to teach here? Any advice on places to look for work? I have registered on a few supply lists (but dont know if these are the best ones to find jobs) is it realistic to go to schools to get my name out there for supply? I realise that the only options open to me at the moment are relief and short term contracts because of the type of visa I have.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:50 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: relief teaching in Perth - maths teacher

Hi,

Once you're registered you can do relief work in private schools. If you want to work in state schools you need to register with the Dept of Education in WA. You then need to attend a three day course (free) where you get your Teacher ID - then you can do relief in state schools.

They usually run these courses once a month but they fill up fast so phone them and book a place on the course.

Details are here: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa/...d-orientation/
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

The Department of Education have a new online registration process. www.det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa. On a WHV you do not have to do the 2 day course. Once you get your ID number you approach individual schools for relief. However schools break up this week for the summer holidays and don't return again until 2 Feb 2011. Good Luck - there is always relief available for Maths teachers, especially in rural WA.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:29 am
Just Joined

lorrir82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to both of you for the fast replies. I know that the schools are on holiday and I am looking for other work in the meantime. I have sent an email to detWA so hopefully they get back to me soon.

I know that you said that there is lots of relief teaching in rural WA. Do you have any if there is much for maths more central or will I be expected to go more rural.

Thanks again.