Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

registering with the WACOT

registering with the WACOT

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default registering with the WACOT

Hi everybody,

This is my first post - I'm planning to move to Bunbury under a spouse visa, all being well.

I am keen to seek employment as soon as possible after arriving. Does anyone know if it's possible to register with the Western Australian College of Teaching from the UK?
I've emailed them but no reply.
Does anyone have experience as to how long the process took?

Finally, any teachers here in the SW? I am very interested in hearing how teaching differs. I am a primary school teacher, and dream of a less overloaded curriculum, smaller classes, better behaviour (I work in a v. deprived area), more flexibility, and less 'wet play'! Will these dreams come true?

Many thanks,

Gemma
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: registering with the WACOT

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi everybody,

This is my first post - I'm planning to move to Bunbury under a spouse visa, all being well.

I am keen to seek employment as soon as possible after arriving. Does anyone know if it's possible to register with the Western Australian College of Teaching from the UK?
I've emailed them but no reply.
Does anyone have experience as to how long the process took?

Finally, any teachers here in the SW? I am very interested in hearing how teaching differs. I am a primary school teacher, and dream of a less overloaded curriculum, smaller classes, better behaviour (I work in a v. deprived area), more flexibility, and less 'wet play'! Will these dreams come true?

Many thanks,

Gemma
Hi Gemma,
I hope your dreams do come true!!

I'm in the process of applying to WACOT as a secondary teacher. Have you got the forms from the website? I have spent ages getting stuff together- my old college took forever to send transcripts and I will be going in in person tomorrow to finally apply. I expect that you would probably have to be here to do it ( but I may be wrong). You need to attach an Australia-wide criminal check here so this may rule out an overseas person.

It also appears that teachers with qualifications gained overseas must submit evidence that their quallies are recognised as equivalent to an Aussie Batchelor of education. These must be assessed and verified before a complete application can be lodged at a cost of $60 no less.

I will tell you how this goes... Why do I have this sinking feeling that its going to take forever??
Good luck
Ali
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Thanks for your reply Ali, and I hope your application is successful.

How do you get your qualifications 'assessed'?

Cheers,

Gemma
Old Mar 7th 2006, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

It is apparently done through the Overseas Qualifications Unit , 190 ST Georges Terrace in Perth )8 9320 3747 or the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition Freecall 1800 020 086. Qualifications are assessed and verified before lodging a full WACOT application. An interview is also required. It all sounds a bit OTT but I guess they are protecting themselves from folk who print dodgy certificates from the web?

I'll let you know how it goes and how quickly things happen.

Ali

Thanks for your reply Ali, and I hope your application is successful.

How do you get your qualifications 'assessed'?

Cheers,

Gemma
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks v. much for that info

Gemma
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,

Just to update you and anyone else in a similar situation.

The Western Australian College of Teaching have eventually replied to my enquiry:

My BA & SCITT PGCE is valid. The latter was awarded by a University but taught at a FE College.

Phew!

All the best,

Gemma
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:58 pm
Nearly living the dream!!

anthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enoughanthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enough

Hi Gemma!

I too am about to get my skills assessed and intend ringing them tomorrow morning. I am hoping they give me a clear YES on the phone. Did they send you any certificate / document that stated that your qualification was valid, and if so, did they do this via email? I am desperate to receive it ASAP as I want to register with the WACOT and then send off my application to the Education Department.

I arrive in Aus in 8 weeks and I believe that the WACOT registration alone can take up to 6 weeks to process! Ideally, I would have liked to have registered with the Ed. Dept prior to my departure, though this now seems unlikely! Just hope it all works out!

I hope your plans continue to go well!
Kate

Hi All,

Just to update you and anyone else in a similar situation.

The Western Australian College of Teaching have eventually replied to my enquiry:

My BA & SCITT PGCE is valid. The latter was awarded by a University but taught at a FE College.

Phew!

All the best,

Gemma
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:06 pm
Nearly living the dream!!

anthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enoughanthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enough

If it makes you feel any better Ali, I too have that sinking feeling!

I thought it would be a very simple process. I depart for Perth in 8 weeks. Knowing that I need to apply to the Ed.Dept 6 weeks prior to my departure, I thought 2 weeks would be sufficient to simply gain an ID number! How wrong could I have been!!?? I have spent all day getting stuff together, sending emails to every Tom, Dick and Harry and my to do list is still growing! DOH!

You do feel as if everything is going against you, as if someone, somewhere is just testing you all the time - just to check how badly you want it!
It has really got me down this weekend and I've blubbered like a baby. I am just hoping that something will work out. Am hoping that I'll receive my ID number in 2 weeks, giving me ample time to register with the Ed. Department before I leave.

Please cross your fingers for me and I'll do the same for you! Happy organising!

Take care,
Kate.

Originally Posted by AliMay
Hi Gemma,

I'm in the process of applying to WACOT as a secondary teacher. Have you got the forms from the website? I have spent ages getting stuff together- my old college took forever to send transcripts and I will be going in in person tomorrow to finally apply. I expect that you would probably have to be here to do it ( but I may be wrong). You need to attach an Australia-wide criminal check here so this may rule out an overseas person.

It also appears that teachers with qualifications gained overseas must submit evidence that their quallies are recognised as equivalent to an Aussie Batchelor of education. These must be assessed and verified before a complete application can be lodged at a cost of $60 no less.

I will tell you how this goes... Why do I have this sinking feeling that its going to take forever??
Good luck
Ali
Old Jun 12th 2006, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Kate,

The information I got by email (they took over a week to reply) was that:

GTP qualified teachers are NOT recognised.

PGCE from a University ARE.

SCITT that includes a PGCE awarded by a Uni ARE.

SCITT that was not awarded by a Uni DON'T.

I was told the current time is 6 weeks, and although you can get the ball rolling a little bit from the UK, you must be in Oz to register as you have to have an Australian police check (even if you've been in the country for 1 day!). This means having an Aussie address, as far as I know.

My plan is to arrive in WA, sort all the paperwork for WACOT, driving test etc etc, then have a 6 week holiday visiting people I know!

Do you know any teachers out there? From what I've gathered, getting a job in Perth is quite difficult. I am heading bunbury way, and have my fingers crossed!

Hope this helps,

Gemma
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

ALEX A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AliMay
Hi Gemma,

Good luck
Ali
My girlfriend has GTP qualification in UK and we want to Emigrate to OZ. I have permanent residency. Does anyone know if she can teach with this qualification ?. Apparently if varies state to state and some people have got in...anyone know of anyone would be great
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in WA, as far as I know, GTP is not recognised. You could email WACOT to confirm, but that is what I was told.

Good luck,

Gemma
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in WA, as far as I know, GTP is not recognised. You could email WACOT to confirm, but that is what I was told.

Good luck,

Gemma

thanks for letting me know. Apparently people have been accepted to teach in Oz with a GTP, i'm tring to find out which states let them in. Its a case by case basis over there.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:32 am
littleflower

littleflower15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: registering with the WACOT

Hi,

Good luck,

Gemma
I have a SAfrican qualifcation which is equivalent to the UK degree. I had to apply for the QTS but had contacted Oz emigration because I was considering going to Australian. I was advised to do the QTS because it would open doors to the whole of Australia. I was told if I did not do the QTS I could teach in Southern Australia. I did not proceed with the application so therefore do not know for sure if this is ttrue.

Wishing you all the best.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littleflower15
I have a SAfrican qualifcation which is equivalent to the UK degree. I had to apply for the QTS but had contacted Oz emigration because I was considering going to Australian. I was advised to do the QTS because it would open doors to the whole of Australia. I was told if I did not do the QTS I could teach in Southern Australia. I did not proceed with the application so therefore do not know for sure if this is ttrue.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you. This is interesting as my girlfriend has QTS status but trained on GTP rather than PCGE route.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:06 pm
littleflower

littleflower15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ALEX A
Thank you. This is interesting as my girlfriend has QTS status but trained on GTP rather than PCGE route.
Hi

Please let me know how you get on. It would be interesting to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.