Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Registering to teach in NSW??

Registering to teach in NSW??

Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering to teach in NSW??

My wife & I moved to Sydney at the beginning of 2008 with our 2 young kids. We are both here on a 457 visa, which is sponsored by my employer.

My wife is a primary trained teacher, who has worked in a Hertfordshire middle school for about 8 years.

Can anyone explain in SIMPLE terms how my wife can have her teaching skills recognised in NSW so that could apply for jobs here? We have her QTS degree certificate and her last teaching criminal record check from the UK.

Cheers,

Dave
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering to teach in NSW??

The basic requirements are on here NSW Education. Not a NSW teacher but the general rule in Aus is that you provide evidence of your 4 years of training including course transcripts (that can be difficult from UK institutions) along with references etc. One of the problems with NSW - although there are moves afoot to change it - is that for a plum position, you need to have done the hard yards out in a less desirable area. Iemma is talking about letting principals have their say in who they appoint but that is still under discussion. Good luck with it!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering to teach in NSW??

One of the problems with NSW - although there are moves afoot to change it - is that for a plum position, you need to have done the hard yards out in a less desirable area. Iemma is talking about letting principals have their say in who they appoint but that is still under discussion. Good luck with it![/QUOTE]

Although it is true of government schools you can still apply for private and Catholic schools directly in NSW. Your employer is responsible for organising your registration with the institute so it is worth having a look around at local shcools and contacting them directly whilst she goes through the hoops for the government schools. I work for a Catholic school in NSW and all of my application/ registration is dealt with by my employer which is the dioscese.
Good luck.
Nicky