Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Promising news for prospective Aus teachers!

Promising news for prospective Aus teachers!

Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Promising news for prospective Aus teachers!

Hi there

I thought I would share some fantastic news as it may help other teachers making the move out to Australia.

IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO SECURE WORK BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. My husband has been working very hard for the last couple of months applying for suitable vacancies in Melbourne, even although we are still here in Edinburgh.

After getting a little despondent and not hearing much news back from the applications, he received a phone call from a college principal a few nights ago.

After a short chat with her and another teacher, he has been offered a temporary maternity cover post. We are absolutely delighted as we were beginning to think neither of us would secure employment before we arrive early next month.

So I just wanted to pass on the good news and encourage others to apply shortly before they arrive!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

paddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant future
Default Re: Promising news for prospective Aus teachers!

Thats great news.
OH is sec school teacher (maths ,special needs, business).

Is your oh sec or primary teacher.

Also did he apply directly to schools or through agency.

One more thing, sorry for all the questions. Did he amend his cv to the Aus style?

thanks
pg
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddygunner
Thats great news.
OH is sec school teacher (maths ,special needs, business).

Is your oh sec or primary teacher.

Also did he apply directly to schools or through agency.

One more thing, sorry for all the questions. Did he amend his cv to the Aus style?

thanks
pg
Hi there

My husband is a Secondary teacher. He applied directly to schools. We both 'amended' our CV's to Aus style however this really only consisted of very small changes - taking out DOB, bullet pointing specific tasks within roles - no major difference really to our UK ones.

Remember if you're considering moving over, one of the most important things to do is register to teach in the state you're moving to. This can be a lengthy process.... any more questions, feel free to ask!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

paddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scotsista
Hi there

My husband is a Secondary teacher. He applied directly to schools. We both 'amended' our CV's to Aus style however this really only consisted of very small changes - taking out DOB, bullet pointing specific tasks within roles - no major difference really to our UK ones.

Remember if you're considering moving over, one of the most important things to do is register to teach in the state you're moving to. This can be a lengthy process.... any more questions, feel free to ask!
Hi
thanks for your reply

yes she has vit registration and we will arrive in early june.

She has a masters degree in business and post grad in education.

Hopefully she will have the same result as your other half.

All the best for the move. looking forward to hearing how you get on.
pg
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddygunner
Hi
thanks for your reply

yes she has vit registration and we will arrive in early june.

She has a masters degree in business and post grad in education.

Hopefully she will have the same result as your other half.

All the best for the move. looking forward to hearing how you get on.
pg
Thanks for your good wishes!

Great that your OH already has registration. Wishing you both lots of luck and happiness too......
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Hi there

I thought I would share some fantastic news as it may help other teachers making the move out to Australia.

IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO SECURE WORK BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. My husband has been working very hard for the last couple of months applying for suitable vacancies in Melbourne, even although we are still here in Edinburgh.

After getting a little despondent and not hearing much news back from the applications, he received a phone call from a college principal a few nights ago.

After a short chat with her and another teacher, he has been offered a temporary maternity cover post. We are absolutely delighted as we were beginning to think neither of us would secure employment before we arrive early next month.

So I just wanted to pass on the good news and encourage others to apply shortly before they arrive!
That's great news! Congratulations to you and your husband. It must be a great feeling to get his foot in the door - hopefully this will lead to more work in the future. As a teacher myself it is nice to hear some good news on the job front - gives us all hope! Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mazza12
That's great news! Congratulations to you and your husband. It must be a great feeling to get his foot in the door - hopefully this will lead to more work in the future. As a teacher myself it is nice to hear some good news on the job front - gives us all hope! Good luck with the move.
Thanks Mazza.

Yes, we are hugely relieved as both of us have decent jobs here and started thinking sometimes "what the hell are we doing, giving jobs up (especially in this climate) and having nothing to go to......" As you say, it is a start and I'm positive the experience will be good for him.

When are you hoping to move out then?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Thanks Mazza.

Yes, we are hugely relieved as both of us have decent jobs here and started thinking sometimes "what the hell are we doing, giving jobs up (especially in this climate) and having nothing to go to......" As you say, it is a start and I'm positive the experience will be good for him.

When are you hoping to move out then?
I know exactly how you feel! I often wonder what the hell I'm thinking to be giving up a very good job, moving to one of the most expensive cities in the world with no jobs lined up - I'm trying desperately to harness some pioneering spirit and think positive thoughts

My initial entry date to Oz is 11 August this year. We are moving to Sydney. It may be a validation trip in August if the house isn't sold but I'm still praying that a buyer will appear and my trip will be one way and permanent.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations but do bear in mind that short term contracts do not a permanent position make especially if you are in the public system. Private is not so bad as they arent constrained by the catch 22 of you needing to be permanent in order to get a permanent position. There are, of course, more opportunities for some specializations - advanced maths and science for starters.

It would make great sense to take a career break from your current position rather than chuck it all in and hope for the best.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Congratulations but do bear in mind that short term contracts do not a permanent position make especially if you are in the public system. Private is not so bad as they arent constrained by the catch 22 of you needing to be permanent in order to get a permanent position. There are, of course, more opportunities for some specializations - advanced maths and science for starters.

It would make great sense to take a career break from your current position rather than chuck it all in and hope for the best.
Thanks for your post.

My husband has taken a career break from his current position and we are renting out our property in Edinburgh - hopefully we will make the bigger decision after a couple of years.