Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

New teacher wanting to move :-)

New teacher wanting to move :-)

Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

laraway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New teacher wanting to move :-)

I dont have enough points at present to get in on the 175 visa but i was told this point score will be lowered in july to 60? is this true?

was thinking about getting my skills assessed now then hoping for the rule change so i can apply in july.

Does anyone have a step by step on how to get skills assessed. the aitsl doesn't give much detail.

i have all my degree and teaching certs. how do i show i have been observed and have the right amount of contact time?

please help
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice
Default Re: New teacher wanting to move :-)

The homepage of aitsl makes clear what you need. I did my skills assessment with the information given there. What point is not clear to you?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New teacher wanting to move :-)

Have to agree with musicalfever, its pretty straightforward - if you download the 'assessment for migration'

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration.html

form it takes you through it step by step, including all the paperwork you need in a checklist, but its pretty easy really - fill in the form, collect the paperwork on the list, have copies of it all certified by someone on the (extensive) list of people allowed to certify it, send it all off, wait 8 weeks, get told yes, you are a teacher. The teaching practise element can be proven with either your transcript if your uni did it that way, or if they didn't you get a letter from the uni stating how many weeks you did and to what age - it says this in the form notes.

No-one knows 100% if the points change will happen in July as it hasn't been made law yet apparently, but it is looking likely from what I read. You should need about 65 points, but the points are changing, with different ages getting different points now, and other things changing. Generally for those youngish, with a degree and the IELTs test you should easily get the points :
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ts-testfaq.pdf

As it takes 8 weeks from when they get the paperwork for teacher skills to go through, you would be near the July change over anyway, and you may need to wait to get an IELT test date, as not everywhere has lots of choice (I am lucky as I live near 4 different centres, so can pretty much go whenever and get it done, even then though I am currently waiting until May to be able to sit it as they all got booked up quickly).

Hope that helps and good luck