Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:40 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

Originally Posted by martinibops
Well I think we will be staying put in sunny UK. I can completely appreciate that there are enough teachers trying to get into Aus but surely it should be equality of oppotunity and those of us that have taken a 3 year route are not any less qualified than somene who has done a 4 year route. I'm just moaning coz I'm gutted! ignore me.
Did a migrant agent say that you were unlikely to have your course recognised?

Maybe a slim chance, but carefully prepared documentation that can show you did 4 years in three may give you a chance - have you applied to Teaching Australia yet? You would need to look at how long you were in college as you would easily satisfy the teaching criteria.

Cooler
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:41 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, meant to add that maybe the Univeristy would help.

Good luck,
Cooler
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

martinibops is an unknown quantity at this point

Uni are compiling something for me. It was a migrant agent that said I was unlikely coz of it being a 3 year degree and I have only been teaching as a qualified teacher 6 months (although would be about 3 years by the time I got processed!!!) Just frustrating have worked in a primary setting for 7 years as a TA and taught as unqualified teacher since last June. How's the process going for you? Thanks for all your advice.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:50 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that us bog standard, 175'ers, ie those not on the CSL/MODL have been 'frozen'. I applied in Feb 09, as a Primary School Teacher and anticipate a very very long wait...annoying isn't it?! lol
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Definitely, I have been following your progress on here. Any news on your IELTS yet? Whereabouts are you hoping to head to?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:27 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely, I have been following your progress on here. Any news on your IELTS yet? Whereabouts are you hoping to head to?
Hopefully Victoria somewhere....you've been following my progress! Oh, that makes me feel special, tee hee lol

As for the IELTS, well the results come out on Friday, if I'd done it in the 'UK' I'd be able to retrieve them online, but because I did it in Dublin, I've to wait for snailmail....hmmmmm, just wish it was over now and I knew! lol

Whats your story? You making much progress?!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:27 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hopefully Victoria somewhere....you've been following my progress! Oh, that makes me feel special, tee hee lol

As for the IELTS, well the results come out on Friday, if I'd done it in the 'UK' I'd be able to retrieve them online, but because I did it in Dublin, I've to wait for snailmail....hmmmmm, just wish it was over now and I knew! lol

Whats your story so far? You making much progress?!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

No! I did a three year teaching degree BA (Hons) professional Studies in Primary Education with QTS as I was already working as a TA in a Primary school (7 years). Been teaching as a qualified teacher six months. Taught unqualified much longer!I have family in Perth who we would love to go out and be near. Hubbie has wanted to do this for ages I didn't, but changed my mind so decided to go for it and then saw through threads on here that Teaching Australia don't accept three year degrees and then they knocked primary teachers off the MODL list. They have said that if I can prove that my degree has the same content as a 4 year degree (which it does) then they will consider it so that is where we are at the moment. I'm 34 with two children and really fancy the challenge. By the time we get out I would have a few years teaching experience. Bit gutted now and not sure what to do I know some have been able to get through on same route as mine but think it's going to be a bit of a fight! Not sure what to do now. Good luck for your results.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:33 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

No! I did a three year teaching degree BA (Hons) professional Studies in Primary Education with QTS as I was already working as a TA in a Primary school (7 years). Been teaching as a qualified teacher six months. Taught unqualified much longer!I have family in Perth who we would love to go out and be near. Hubbie has wanted to do this for ages I didn't, but changed my mind so decided to go for it and then saw through threads on here that Teaching Australia don't accept three year degrees and then they knocked primary teachers off the MODL list. They have said that if I can prove that my degree has the same content as a 4 year degree (which it does) then they will consider it so that is where we are at the moment. I'm 34 with two children and really fancy the challenge. By the time we get out I would have a few years teaching experience. Bit gutted now and not sure what to do I know some have been able to get through on same route as mine but think it's going to be a bit of a fight! Not sure what to do now. Good luck for your results.
Have you had ur skills assessed yet by TA?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Curlywurli
I don't understand why our degrees aren't accepted at all. I trained at Kingston Uni and I know from experience with other colleagues that it was a high quality course, even in comparison to their four year courses. They just seem to not recognise that teacher training can be taught in less than four years- which is fair enough, but not particularly helpful for me.
Another hurdle is that they only began keeping transcripts from 2003, which is after I graduated. I've even been advised to try New Zealand instead (not from an educational organisation though). Do they accept three year degrees and PGCE's? If they do I can't understand why they wouldn't accept a three year teaching degree.

NZ teachers council

There are several teachers on the NZ forum who can advise you about the process of assessment and registration.
See you there.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:31 am
Just Joined

No, I haven't had my skills assessed yet. I have e-mailed Teaching Australia about it and they said Australia like 4 year degrees. I gave them details on mine and they have said if I can get confirmation from my uni that it is equivalent to 4 years and submit an application then they will assess. I am waiting for confirmation from my uni to pass on but I don't hold out much hope as many have tried but failed!