Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary School prospects in Perth, Oz

Primary School prospects in Perth, Oz

Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

thegiddygambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary School prospects in Perth, Oz

Ive got family in Perth and its my aim to emigrate within 5 years.

I'm soon to begin a primary pgce course and was wondering how easy it will be to find work in Perth.

I understand permanent jobs are now very rare, not too concerned tbh.

Am i likely to be able to get regular supply work and/or a long term contract?

Cheers
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Re: Primary School prospects in Perth, Oz

Hi, I'll try to help, I've recently arrived in W.A.

Basically your options are:

Catholic schools (often demand religious commitments)
Other Private schools
Government schools.

75% of government schools have their staff pretty much allocated to them by the state. If you go on their webpage (the shaping young lives one) you will see a 'placement request form' or something similar. This is where teachers say where they are willing to work. The more remote you go, the better chance of getting a full time job. There are incentives to go REALLY remote, eg housing, extra money. Details on the same website.
Around 25% of government schools now advertise for their own vacancies. Check local papers, and the education website for teaching vacancies.

You have to register with the WACOT (WA college of teaching),this enables you to teach in private schools. Then you have to register with the department of education, undergo an orientation course, then do a presentation and take part in an interview. If you pass, you get an ID number and you can work in state schools.

Perth would be the hardest place to get work as a teacher. I am near Bunbury and getting told that I will have NO problem getting a job or relief work. From what I gather and see, there are several vacancies, some still in Perth for the coming January, so beef up your CV, get as much experience as possible etc. IMHO, it's do-able!

make sure your PGCE is from a uni and not a college or your qualification won't be recognised. Be prepared for a paycut as well.

Hope this helps,

Gemma