nova scotia teaching

Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

lhcasssidy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nova scotia teaching

I am posting this to see if anyone has come across a similar problem. I have emailed all my qualifications to Nova Scotia Education to see if I was eligible for a ITC, unfortunately despite a BA (Hons) in art and two PGCE one in Secondary and one in Further Education. I have been sent this response.

Section 30S of the regulations provides for a Bridging Teacher’s Certificate (BTC) for those individuals who have completed four years of university study, including an education program consisting of a minimum of 30 credit hours of theory plus a teaching practicum, and are certified in the jurisdiction in which the education program was completed. The BTC allows one to apply for teaching positions while completing the outstanding ITC requirements.
SUMMARY: eligible for a Nova Scotia four-year BTC as per Section 30S (see above). To qualify for the permanent ITC you would be required to complete the following additional studies:

- 18 credit hours in a minor teachable subject area;
- 3 credit hours of approved mathematics university study;
- 3 credit hours of approved university study in English; and
- 21 credit hours of approved university study in teacher education course work.
The question is do the additional studies have to be done in college or in a school. If they have to be carried out in a Canadian school what is the likelihood of a school taking you on?