Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Please Help. Teaching in Perth.

Please Help. Teaching in Perth.

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

harrisjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help. Teaching in Perth.

Hi Everyone.
We are moving to Perth in less than 3 weeks. I have a residency visa and my partner is sponsored in the oil and gas industry. Ive been researching lots about getting a teaching job and am starting to panic.

I am registered with WACOT and have 5 years experience teaching art and design in a secondary school. I also have 2 years experience working in a school for kids with social/ emotional and behavioural difficulties.

I have just registered with the WA teaching pool but Im more than a little concerned that I will just have to wait for them to contact me, if a job becomes available. My partner is working in Perth city centre and I really need to secure a job somewhere close to her. My efforts so far on teaching jobsites and general jobsites have so far been worryingly unsuccessful.

Can anyone please give me some reassurances that its not a lost cause.
Many thanks in advance.
Jamie.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Please Help. Teaching in Perth.

we were in the gold coast 4 years ago my wife is a primary school teacher she found it imposible to find any teaching jobs on the gold coast after 6 months we came back to uk ,i think teaching in high school my be easier we found it a big struggle do lots of research good luck
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:48 am
Just Joined

thanks for that.
not the encouraging reply I was hoping for but I appreciate the advice. Im researching hard and so far its not going so well. I'll stick at it.
Thanks again,
Jamie.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:24 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I moved to Perth three years ago and it is very hard to find teaching work in Perth, either high school or primary. We recently had over 50 applications for a part time Art Teacher!

Are you registered with the Department of Education in WA? WACOT will allow you to teach in private schools but you must be registered with the Dept of Education to work in state schools. You can apply from the UK then attend a 2 day course when you arrive.

You will have to be flexible, and maybe apply for relief at primary schools too.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

thats why we came back to England job situations are not very at all ,in Australia its not what you know its who
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

thats why we came back to England job situations are not very at all ,in Australia its not what you know its who
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joe38
So very true. Perth is somewhat provincial when it comes to work. Outside of the mining areas it is rather debatable just how many jobs there are.
Best if need to work be prepared to do anything.

Last edited by the troubadour; Aug 4th 2011 at 8:43 am.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrisjam
Hi Everyone.
We are moving to Perth in less than 3 weeks. I have a residency visa and my partner is sponsored in the oil and gas industry. Ive been researching lots about getting a teaching job and am starting to panic.

I am registered with WACOT and have 5 years experience teaching art and design in a secondary school. I also have 2 years experience working in a school for kids with social/ emotional and behavioural difficulties.

I have just registered with the WA teaching pool but Im more than a little concerned that I will just have to wait for them to contact me, if a job becomes available. My partner is working in Perth city centre and I really need to secure a job somewhere close to her. My efforts so far on teaching jobsites and general jobsites have so far been worryingly unsuccessful.

Can anyone please give me some reassurances that its not a lost cause.
Many thanks in advance.
Jamie.
You'd get work in the Pilbara, just living there isn't everyones cup of tea. Work for the state and avoid the $1600 a week rents! Perth is overloaded with Teachers I'm afraid, apart from secondary in certain subjects is a hard place to secure a position!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I have a bad feeling that Im going to end up working in a shop somehwere for minimum wage.
I am already registered with WACOT and with the dept of education so fingers crossed that an opportunity arises.
Thanks again. All advice very gratefully appreciated.
Jamie.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with others Perth city is going to be difficult to secure a job.
Your more likely to get a teaching position if you work out of the city.

If your not bothered by religion, I would looking at the Catholic Schools of WA website, and maybe teachers on the net website for jobs.
Also send your CV to others private schools.

Gems
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:04 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
I agree with others Perth city is going to be difficult to secure a job.
Your more likely to get a teaching position if you work out of the city.

If your not bothered by religion, I would looking at the Catholic Schools of WA website, and maybe teachers on the net website for jobs.
Also send your CV to others private schools.

Gems
Can you get a 'spiritual reference' from a vicar or priest in the UK? I've found I can't get work in Catholic schools due to not having that - in Qld.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

It may be easier to get a job in the private sector - try
www.ais.wa.edu.au - it posts all the private jobs - I found mine there - you still have to be registered with wacot but don't need to register with the education dept. Most of the private schools are affiliated to some church - but other than the catholic schools where you pretty much have to be catholic, as long as you can support the ethos of the school they don't push the religious side too much.
Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:58 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Toowoomba, one of the most highly sought after areas for teaching jobs and I've been very fortunate. Last year out of a possible 110 days I taught 96 days, and this year I've had my own class since February and probably will be there until the end of the academic year. So try to remain positive, put the groundwork in, drop your CV off personally to every school you'd be willing to drive to (I did about 50) and the work will soon come flooding in! Also be willing to accept anything, I did a two month Music contract and I am a not music teacher, I told them that but 14 other people had refused the job! I do have music qualifications and am fairly musical, so I coped and even managed to get Grades 2, 4, 6 and 7 on stage for their parents lol

Just remain positive and work will come your way!

Jen
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

thanks again everyone. all good advice.

I doubt very much that a devout athiest is getting work in any religious school but I'll keep an open mind.

And thankyou Jen for the positive vibes. Its really reassuring to hear your story. I'll put in lots of groundwork and keep my chin up.

Once again, thanks folks.
Jamie.