Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Newly Qualified Teacher in Oz

Newly Qualified Teacher in Oz

Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Keely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly Qualified Teacher in Oz

Approx how much p.a. would a NQT expect to earn in Australia?

I'm looking to be qualificed as an ICT Teacher before I leave the UK.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some informative teaching info websites?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Qualified Teacher in Oz

Originally Posted by Keely
Approx how much p.a. would a NQT expect to earn in Australia?

I'm looking to be qualificed as an ICT Teacher before I leave the UK.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some informative teaching info websites?

Do you know if your teaching qualification will be recognised in Australia?

Jeremy
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

I'm researching it as we speak. I'll be looking to:

a) either qualify as a teacher here then apply for a Skilled visa or
b) try to gain residency and do my teacher training in Australia.

The more I read websites the more confused I get! lol
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dunandjs2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm researching it as we speak. I'll be looking to:

a) either qualify as a teacher here then apply for a Skilled visa or
b) try to gain residency and do my teacher training in Australia.

The more I read websites the more confused I get! lol
Hi Keely

So long as you have 4 years tertiary education i.e. a 3 year degree plus a PGCE (not GTP) or a B.Ed then you are OK provided your degree is related to the subject you are going to teach. You will only be eligible to go to OZ under STNI or Skill matching (only SA and VIC subscribe to this scheme and depending on your subject you will teach). In any event, you can only be nominated in Victoria for example if you are registered by VIT (either provisional or full registration) and this requires a minimum of 80 days experience. So, to answer your question, you should maybe complete your NQT year in the UK
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I agree, I think its safer qualifying over in the UK as worst case scenario... I didnt like Oz... I would need a good job to come back to in the UK!

Oh well, better start grafting at college again lol
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I agree, I think its safer qualifying over in the UK as worst case scenario... I didnt like Oz... I would need a good job to come back to in the UK!

Oh well, better start grafting at college again lol
hi - never knew you were online as we speak - what is your subject ?
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dunandjs2
I'd like to teach IT at secondary school level.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Keely

Read all your threads and saw ICT teacher.

You will only be eligible to go to Regional Victoria as an ICT teacher - all the other states dont need em.

You can apply for the Skill matching visa after six months or the STNI visa after one full year - you should start applying now to NOOSR to have your qualifications assessed to get to OZ any time soon
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Keely

Read all your threads and saw ICT teacher.

You will only be eligible to go to Regional Victoria as an ICT teacher - all the other states dont need em.

You can apply for the Skill matching visa after six months or the STNI visa after one full year - you should start applying now to NOOSR to have your qualifications assessed to get to OZ any time soon
Cheers for the advice Still, I've got quite a way to go before I'm qualified... the degree courses dont start till Sept06

Onwards and upwards though! lol
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keely

So long as you have 4 years tertiary education i.e. a 3 year degree plus a PGCE (not GTP) or a B.Ed then you are OK provided your degree is related to the subject you are going to teach. You will only be eligible to go to OZ under STNI or Skill matching (only SA and VIC subscribe to this scheme and depending on your subject you will teach).
This is inaccurate:

- if he meets the points test he can go anywhere he likes
- WA and Tasmania also participate in STNI although I don't know if they sponsor teachers
- a school anywhere in regional Australia (ie away from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth) can sponsor for RSMS. No work experience is required.

Jeremy
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

So, to answer your question, you should maybe complete your NQT year in the UK

Not necessarily a good idea - if someone qualifies to migrate on the basis of their *current* occupation usually it's better to apply on that basis and do any career change after getting to Australia.

Jeremy
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the advice Still, I've got quite a way to go before I'm qualified... the degree courses dont start till Sept06

Onwards and upwards though! lol

My wife is almost at the end her PGCE course (officially ends July 7th). Think you've got a tough year ahead. Look out for our posts on here will be going through the process of applying for a visa to Victoria as a Teacher so will be able to offer advice

Good luck you'll need it
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

and to add to the discussion ....

there is demnad for IT (and other subjects0 in outlying metropolitan regions ( I seem to remember) but once granted STNI, you can live and work anywhere in that state.

Bezza
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Guys - suprised the thread is still going - anyway - it would seem that some of the things i said in here are incorrect - by applying for STNI after one year in your "chosen" occupation, you can live anywhere in the state - certainly in Victoria anyway.

I got confused with the Regional skill matching scheme (RSMS), which is different from the skill matching visa (for which i have recently beeen nominated by the state of Victoria).

There is a statewide demand for some teaching specialties (including IT).

Im now just waiting to go for meds - get your applications in guys - the process is long but the people thaty drive it are all human and they are very nice

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
and to add to the discussion ....

there is demnad for IT (and other subjects0 in outlying metropolitan regions ( I seem to remember) but once granted STNI, you can live and work anywhere in that state.

Bezza
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jeremy - Yeah - some of the things i did say were incorrect - although WA and Tasmania also participate in the scheme, they do not sponsoe teachers.

I also got confused with the RSMS and the skill amtching visa when it came to living in certain areas of the participating states.

As far as i know, 12 months work experience in the chosen profession is required for STNI visa and only 6 months for the skill matching visa - whereas the RSMS does not requre any work experience - I think thtas it?

Cheers

Duncan

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is inaccurate:

- if he meets the points test he can go anywhere he likes
- WA and Tasmania also participate in STNI although I don't know if they sponsor teachers
- a school anywhere in regional Australia (ie away from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth) can sponsor for RSMS. No work experience is required.

Jeremy