Teaching in Canada

Old Aug 13th 2005, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Vocem is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Teaching in Canada

Hello my name is Lynne and at present I'm a music teacher living and working in the UK.

I'm looking to emigrate to Canada (either Alberta or Nova Scotia) in the next year or so and would love to hear from anyone who knows how the education system/schools work over there. I would also love to know more about how to get a teaching job, how to obtain a teaching permit and the salary scale.

Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks for reading, Lynne
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching in Canada

Originally Posted by Vocem
Hello my name is Lynne and at present I'm a music teacher living and working in the UK.

I'm looking to emigrate to Canada (either Alberta or Nova Scotia) in the next year or so and would love to hear from anyone who knows how the education system/schools work over there. I would also love to know more about how to get a teaching job, how to obtain a teaching permit and the salary scale.

Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks for reading, Lynne
Hi Lynne

I can't comment on Alberta or Nova Scotia as I'm in Ontario. On a postive note, I would think you shouldn't find it too difficult to find work as you teach music which makes you more specialized.

Chris
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:31 am
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Canada

Lynne, can only comment on Alberta as that is where I am. Do you currently hare an application for permanent resident status ongoing?

Teaching salaries here are well paid in my opinion. Starting salary is $45,000 which is £22500, higher than uk.

Go to www.educationcanada.com to look at jobs, they are kind of few and far between if you ask me, but haven't looked at music teaching as i am science.

You need to get your credentials assessed by alberta learning. The cost is $250 and you can do this online then submit your documents, the process takes around 8 months. You cannot teach a single lesson till you have this.
www.learning.gov.ab.ca

A lot of the schools here are catholic schools and require that you are a church goer in order to work there.

Hope this helps

Joe
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Teaching in Canada

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
Lynne, can only comment on Alberta as that is where I am. Do you currently hare an application for permanent resident status ongoing?

Teaching salaries here are well paid in my opinion. Starting salary is $45,000 which is £22500, higher than uk.

Go to www.educationcanada.com to look at jobs, they are kind of few and far between if you ask me, but haven't looked at music teaching as i am science.

You need to get your credentials assessed by alberta learning. The cost is $250 and you can do this online then submit your documents, the process takes around 8 months. You cannot teach a single lesson till you have this.
www.learning.gov.ab.ca

A lot of the schools here are catholic schools and require that you are a church goer in order to work there.

Hope this helps

Joe
Hi Joe,
We're both UK teachers (louise/Sid - hence lousid) about to emigrate after a long three year wait. We've been looking to go to BC as a first option but think we might be better off in a place with no PST, lots of employment opportunities and allegedly cheaper housing. As for teaching, one of us has already applied to the BCCT to register at a cost of $300 but now we'll have to do the whole thing again (still waiting for certification from BC by the way) in AB if we choose to live there. Since we're undecided, we have to fork out twice, maybe three times before we finally settle in any one province.

As a science teacher (like me, Lou) I was wondering how you have found it there so far? What is the education system like? What are the schools like? The kids etc? Where did you teach in the UK (we're both from S. Wales) and how long have you been there? Lots of questions - sorry!! We're just keen to chat to as many people as we can before we commit finally. The registration takes so long and the matter of sealed copies of credentials sent direct from institutions is a real pain in the proverbial ... you've obviously been through it already.

Would be good to hear your thoughts and any advice. If you're already in a senior position, how about a job (or two)?

Just kidding (but, seriously!)