Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

How to become a Primary Teacher in the UK?

How to become a Primary Teacher in the UK?

Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:55 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to become a Primary Teacher in the UK?

I have a BSc Hons degree and am thinking of maybe becoming a primary school teacher in the UK - but I haven't got much of a clue how to go about it?

If you already have a degree -are there teacher training colleges you can go to to gain the qualification you need? What is the qualification needed? Is it a PGCE?

From what I understand from teach.gov.uk - you can learn on the job through GTTR and the SCITT scheme? Has anyone done this? What's is like?

Any help and info would be appreciated.....
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to become a Primary Teacher in the UK?

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
I have a BSc Hons degree and am thinking of maybe becoming a primary school teacher in the UK - but I haven't got much of a clue how to go about it?

If you already have a degree -are there teacher training colleges you can go to to gain the qualification you need? What is the qualification needed? Is it a PGCE?

From what I understand from teach.gov.uk - you can learn on the job through GTTR and the SCITT scheme? Has anyone done this? What's is like?

Can train to be a Teacher at loads of Uni's PGCE is the way to go! One year of sheer hell then qualified. Only issue is finding a full time post once qualified, jobs becoming very scarce!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:48 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Go to TES online or the GTC England website and follow the links from there. I think there's a whole website devoted to initial teacher training in England. I'm pretty sure I came across it following links from the above 2 sites. PGDE more widely accepted than the 'on the job' type training.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

i did a pgce in York st john, like the other poster said its very intense but that college has a very good reputation as does Durham.

As for jobs lots on the tes website if you fancy london and the surrounding areas.

Seems to be lots of supply work as well, once qualified thats what i did for a term, then got a couple of long term supply till i got permanent.

good luck..if i can help just pm me.

regards

lolly
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:54 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lollyno1
i did a pgce in York st john, like the other poster said its very intense but that college has a very good reputation as does Durham.

As for jobs lots on the tes website if you fancy london and the surrounding areas.

Seems to be lots of supply work as well, once qualified thats what i did for a term, then got a couple of long term supply till i got permanent.

good luck..if i can help just pm me.

regards

lolly
What does a PGCE cost? I suppose I'm going to have to pay more - as I haven't been resident in the UK.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

What does a PGCE cost? I suppose I'm going to have to pay more - as I haven't been resident in the UK.
couldnt say, as i was resident in uk when i took the course. If you get the colleges email address they maybe able to send you a syllabus.
sorry not much help.

regards lolly
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a UK citizen and have a UK address won't be an issue. If an International student then would need to contact the Uni you intend going to!