Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Can I teach in Oz after not completing NQT year

Can I teach in Oz after not completing NQT year

Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:43 pm
ldu
Just Joined

ldu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I teach in Oz after not completing NQT year

Hi

I am an Early years/ Primary school teacher who will be moving to the Gold Coast at the end of this year. I have completed my Postgraduate Degree in Education (PGCE) in 2010. I then taught 2 terms/semesters of my NQT year (compulsory year teaching here in the UK) but did not complete my 3rd term/semester due to maternity leave. I was just wondering if you were able to tell me if I would be able to get permanent/supply teaching work in Australia if I have not completed the NQT year in the UK?
Or would I have to retrain in Oz and how would I go about it?

Thank you
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I teach in Oz after not completing NQT year

NQT means nothing in Australia.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldu
Hi

I am an Early years/ Primary school teacher who will be moving to the Gold Coast at the end of this year. I have completed my Postgraduate Degree in Education (PGCE) in 2010. I then taught 2 terms/semesters of my NQT year (compulsory year teaching here in the UK) but did not complete my 3rd term/semester due to maternity leave. I was just wondering if you were able to tell me if I would be able to get permanent/supply teaching work in Australia if I have not completed the NQT year in the UK?
Or would I have to retrain in Oz and how would I go about it?

Thank you
Early years & Primary positions are hard to get into in popular areas of Aus. The more remote you live the better your chances of finding work.
Would say yes you'd be able to pick up relief work, how much would be very much dependent on location.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

You had any luck yet? Relief work is abundant in all areas, provided you are keen and get your name/ cv out there. Got a friend who quit the department this year and is doing relief work in Perth- handed all her CV's in personally and made contact with person in charge of relief work, third school she walked into, she was offered a fixed term contrat for 2 terms, which has now been extended to the full year. since then she has had to turn schools down on a weekly basis.