Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching in Australia

Primary Teaching in Australia

Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

nic1709 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary Teaching in Australia

Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about applying for primary teaching in Australia?

I studied at Edinburgh uni for 4 years, left with a Bachelor of Education Honours degree 2:1 and I'm currently in my first year of teaching (I completed my NQT year last year). I teach at the same school I did my probation year in although I am only part time and on a temporary contract.

I've always dreamed of teaching in Australia but have no idea what is involved in the process. I've heard that you have to have at least 5 years teaching experience before applying to Australian schools- is this true? And would I need to do any re-training? How easy is it to get a job out there? Surely can't be any worse than here! I also wonder about the different types of VISAs? I would be moving to Australia with my boyfriend who is currently undergoing RO exams to be a fully trained independent financial advisor and has a degree in Business Studies. Would he be able to come with me as we are not married and he is perhaps not what Australia is looking for (he's 35 and I'm not sure they are crying out for financial advisers!)?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice
Default Re: Primary Teaching in Australia

Well, first of all, primary teachers are not on the list anymore, at least not for a 175, you would need state sponsorship (176) and as far as I know (as a friend of mine applied for it) at the moment only SA and NT have it on their sponsorship lists. My friend managed to get sponsored by SA.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your quick reply, even although the news isn't that great! Do you know how to go about getting sponsorship? I may have to change career path!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

You have to check the homepages of the different states and look for their sponsorship lists. You need to check their sponsorship lists and then apply to the state for state sponsorship first. Just after getting that you can apply for the visa with DIAC.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough

we went over to Australia in 2007 we moved to the Gold Coast ,my wife is a teacher and could not find any teaching jobs at all so we came back to uk where she went back to her old job with open arms , we was only ion Oz for 6 months 6 months i know it does not seem long but we were spend lots of money so if you go do lots of research
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joe38
we went over to Australia in 2007 we moved to the Gold Coast ,my wife is a teacher and could not find any teaching jobs at all so we came back to uk where she went back to her old job with open arms , we was only ion Oz for 6 months 6 months i know it does not seem long but we were spend lots of money so if you go do lots of research
Is an often repeated story for a lot of the popular areas in Australia. Always crying out for Teachers in rural/remote areas and way too many in and around the major cities.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Is an often repeated story for a lot of the popular areas in Australia. Always crying out for Teachers in rural/remote areas and way too many in and around the major cities.
Thanks for the warning! I guess it's a bit like Scotland then job-wise- lots of jobs going in rural areas. Mind you, I think rural Australia would be a little more exciting than rural Scotland!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:20 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Toowoomba, one of the most sought after areas in SE Queensland for teachers, and if you don't give up, it will happen. I'll probably never be permanent, but I've no desire to be either as I'll be leaving teaching once I'm a citizen, but the work has been flooding in. You've just got to stick at it and it will happen. When I first got here I drove to around 50 schools, hand-delivering my CV's and the calls just kept coming. Half the battle is having the right attitude and going in to each school with a positive one, then they'll ask you back again and again. Unlike the UK they have whats known as 'Long Service Leave' too so contracts, both long and short, are always available so long as you're on a schools radar! Good luck Nic, you'll be grand!!!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Hi all,
Similar to the OP, my wife qualified as a Primary School Teacher last year. She is currently doing her DIP/probation year in a school here in Ireland. We would also like to know about the availability of jobs, as we would like to emigrate to Australia next year.
I am an electrician so I will be faced with a year of below average wages before I can get my Aussie sparks license so we could really do with my wife working full-time. We've almost given up hope of living near one of the main cities for this first year anyway. Do you think we'll find work somewhere resembling civilisation?
We were told that she should qualify to teach Early Childhood Education as this is on the Skills Shortage List unlike Primary Teaching. She'd be happy to do that as long as it was some sort of teaching and not just nappy-changing. Maybe this is a route the OP could take too? Does anyone have any experience of Early Childhood Education in Australia?
Any advice really appreciated.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic1709
Thanks for the warning! I guess it's a bit like Scotland then job-wise- lots of jobs going in rural areas. Mind you, I think rural Australia would be a little more exciting than rural Scotland!
If by exciting you mean red hot, big dug issues, lots of social problems & over a days drive to the nearest major City, then I suppose it is

All depends on where you're coming from & expectations. Was a big awakening for us when we got here, not at all like it's portrayed by the media.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

If by exciting you mean red hot, big dug issues, lots of social problems & over a days drive to the nearest major City, then I suppose it is

All depends on where you're coming from & expectations. Was a big awakening for us when we got here, not at all like it's portrayed by the media.
...but it's what you make of it...
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
...but it's what you make of it...

To be honest Jen, if I were living in Toowooba & had no experience of the issues in certain parts of remote Australia I'd have the same outlook.
Experience is what really counts
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:26 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

To be honest Jen, if I were living in Toowooba & had no experience of the issues in certain parts of remote Australia I'd have the same outlook.
Experience is what really counts
I don't live in Toowoomba, but thanks for the heads up!
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I don't live in Toowoomba, but thanks for the heads up!
Sorry be be exact you no longer live in a place near Toowoomba as you've recently move to Brisbane.
But still no real experience or good old hot remote Australia living

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.