Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

CALLING ALL PRIMARY TEACHERS

CALLING ALL PRIMARY TEACHERS

Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:03 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CALLING ALL PRIMARY TEACHERS

Originally Posted by funkydelia
Hmm, I haven't had a confirmation letter but they have taken the money!Have emailed them.
Just checked my confirmation and the date is 14th February 2008

Forgot it was a confirmation email and not a letter if you see what I mean
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

jigglyboobies is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my teaching oz certificate back in Feb - someone on this thread was worried Immigration would be worried about the long holdiay time and if that counts as now working - but its fine as you are still employed as a teacher for that time - you just get long holidays.

My teaching assessment took exactly weeks an then it came through my letterbox on the ninth week. you can email them and ask where it is.

I hope everyone has checked the strange rules over there as a teacher - it's not like here - you can't just rock up to a school you like and hand in your application form - there are points to achieve if you want to be full time in a metropolitan area - I have looked briefly into it but not much.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:38 pm

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

I emailed teaching australia yesterday and got this reply back when I logged on this morning

"The assessment of your application has been completed and the outcome documents were posted 15 April 2008"

Fingers crossed its the outcome I want!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

BroomeChick will become famous soon enough

Ohhh fantastic!! I'm sure it will be. At least you know it is on its way!!
Keep us updated! Good luck! x
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

cass90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me.... I feel totally upset and gutted to find out this week that after training as a teacher to get into Australia and just coming up to completing my NQT year, i discover that my 3-year primary education degree isn't sufficient to get a skilled visa!!! Yet, had i of done a random degree and the 1-year PGCE then that would be ok?! Can this be right? I have 3 years direct teacher training - how is this not recognised but a 1-year PGCE is? If it's a case of needing 4 years higher education, would a random extra year's post-grad diploma be sufficient to satisfy there ever-changing visa requirements? Can anyone help me on this ,or know any information?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

are you sure???
Have your really looked into it or has teaching Oz said no? - if its teaching Oz that has said no then I think that's it - but if i is something you have heard on the net then I would re-check as most teachers go through the 3 year degree route -
If its true (which I hopefully doubt for your sakes) I feel gutted for you - I know how I only went into teaching just to get into oz- i wanted to be a tv editor but they didnt want those at the time so I had to decide -
just double check ok with teaching Oz.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

cass90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply... I have emailed teaching Aus and nervously awaiting their response! I did go through an online assessment thing but a migration 'expert' called me about it and when talking to them, they said that the BA 3 year isn't enough and they need 4 years of higher education, hence the PGCE route! We'll see... So have you applied yet or got in and if so, did you do the PGCE route?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

I did the PGCE route and got my skills assessment back in feb - so I ha applied and now have to wait for the immigration to check my application - which is probably going to be about July - good luck!!! It should be fine as you are going to be a qualified teacher - keep positive - seems very odd tat they wouldn't let you in!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cass90
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me.... I feel totally upset and gutted to find out this week that after training as a teacher to get into Australia and just coming up to completing my NQT year, i discover that my 3-year primary education degree isn't sufficient to get a skilled visa!!! Yet, had i of done a random degree and the 1-year PGCE then that would be ok?! Can this be right? I have 3 years direct teacher training - how is this not recognised but a 1-year PGCE is? If it's a case of needing 4 years higher education, would a random extra year's post-grad diploma be sufficient to satisfy there ever-changing visa requirements? Can anyone help me on this ,or know any information?
The requirement is a 4 year qualification, has been lots of threads on it but it is what it is I'm afraid. Not recognised in Aus, as they get applicants from all over the world with various qualifications, so they have set their standards at 4 years. Think you'll need to look into extending your qualification to something that is a year (or possibly more) longer and take it from there. If you're so set on moving to aus, shouldn't be too hard getting motivated.
Hope you've looked into Teaching employment in Aus, isn't as straight forward as you may think
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
The requirement is a 4 year qualification, has been lots of threads on it but it is what it is I'm afraid. Not recognised in Aus, as they get applicants from all over the world with various qualifications, so they have set their standards at 4 years. Think you'll need to look into extending your qualification to something that is a year (or possibly more) longer and take it from there. If you're so set on moving to aus, shouldn't be too hard getting motivated.
Hope you've looked into Teaching employment in Aus, isn't as straight forward as you may think
Unfortunately the 4 year qualification stands. Some uni's do top up courses though - Look in the living and working forum under teachers and someone did a whole thread on it (sorry can'tremember who it was!)

I did a 4 year education degree too, don't get me started on random degrees and postgrads, I've had a bad experience with one!!

Good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

the 4 years tertiary education has to be relevant- some random post grad course will not work, but an MEd would.

the holidays are not an issue if you are continually employed, could be an issue if you work supply.

teaching australia assess your qualifications not your employment so you don't need to have completed NQT for this bit.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hereshoping
the 4 years tertiary education has to be relevant- some random post grad course will not work, but an MEd would.

the holidays are not an issue if you are continually employed, could be an issue if you work supply.

teaching australia assess your qualifications not your employment so you don't need to have completed NQT for this bit.
Sorry, just want to check something, when you say you dont need your NQT for THIS BIT, when having your quals assessed by TA, when do you need your NQT? If ever?!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lisajhb
Sorry, just want to check something, when you say you dont need your NQT for THIS BIT, when having your quals assessed by TA, when do you need your NQT? If ever?!
for the visa... you must have worked a minimum of 12 out of the previous 18 months in your nominated occupation to enter on a skilled visa.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

domodomo will become famous soon enoughdomodomo will become famous soon enough

Hi, could any one help me on this? What is the minimum work experience required after the PGCE to get the positive skills assessment from TA?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by domodomo
Hi, could any one help me on this? What is the minimum work experience required after the PGCE to get the positive skills assessment from TA?
I could'e sworn I just answered this... you need precisely 0 days work experience for the skills assessment as they look at your qualifications not your work experience.

From the website http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/...ice29Feb08.pdf

1. Completion of studies assessed by Teaching Australia as comparable to at
least four years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education level
study in Australia that includes:
a. a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an
Australian bachelor degree;
b. at least one year of full-time (or part-time equivalent) initial teacher
education studies at the higher education level (resulting in a
recognised academic qualification); and
c. at least 45 working days of supervised teaching practice, completed as
part of the required initial teacher education qualification.
2. Sufficient ability in the English language to meet the standard required for
teaching in Australia.
3. Evidence of current status as a professional teacher such as a registration
card and/or work references.

So you need to have completed your 4 years of tertiary level study and have your QTS.

You do need work experience for the visa, not for the skills assessment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.