Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Average salary in Adelaide

Average salary in Adelaide

Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough
Default Average salary in Adelaide

Seems to me that teachers get paid more in Australia. Perhaps valued more? Am I right in thinking the average teachers salary in Adelaide is from $55,000-75,000? How many years experience would you need for around $65,000 mark?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average salary in Adelaide

Originally Posted by beachlady
Seems to me that teachers get paid more in Australia. Perhaps valued more? Am I right in thinking the average teachers salary in Adelaide is from $55,000-75,000? How many years experience would you need for around $65,000 mark?
I'm on an annual salary of $75k here in Qld, and thats with 10 years experience...not sure if that's much help though for SA!? LOL
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends on if you can prove your years of service.

For example in WA, hubby had to provide statement of service for every job from the employer. Think they wanted 7 years proof to get near the top pay scale.
They said without it you would be on the bottom of the payscale
Was a pain as he had been teaching quite a long time and moved abroad during this time.

Gems
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:52 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
It also depends on if you can prove your years of service.

For example in WA, hubby had to provide statement of service for every job from the employer. Think they wanted 7 years proof to get near the top pay scale.
They said without it you would be on the bottom of the payscale
Was a pain as he had been teaching quite a long time and moved abroad during this time.

Gems
I brought my statements of service with me from NI...luckily...
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

I'm getting really excited now! $75,000, wish I was on the plane right now! How do you find the teaching, more or less work? I see that Australia will be rolling out the first phase of their National curriculum in 2012.

Did you actually get a simple statement saying you'd worked at the school or actual references from the heads? Reason I'm asking is because heads move onto different schools, also retire so that can be a problem when getting references from the person who employed you, if they've moved on.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:33 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

I'm getting really excited now! $75,000, wish I was on the plane right now! How do you find the teaching, more or less work? I see that Australia will be rolling out the first phase of their National curriculum in 2012.

Did you actually get a simple statement saying you'd worked at the school or actual references from the heads? Reason I'm asking is because heads move onto different schools, also retire so that can be a problem when getting references from the person who employed you, if they've moved on.
I'd only worked in three schools and all three still had the same Principals. The school I resigned in, to come here, wrote me a proper reference, the other two very simple ones outlining my service and the classes I taught/subjects I co-ordinated. How many years experience do you have yourself?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

I've got 10 years experience. How do you find it working there? Is the system
better? It's certainly nice to know that teachers can be paid well there. I'm glad that there are opportunities for relief work, seems like you managed to pick a lot of work up. From reading on this site, I gather that it's hard to get a job before you go. I'm guessing that's probably because employers wouldn't consider anyone until a person is fully registered. Can you recommend any good relief agencies? I've seen a couple and also some general sites like seek.com but wondered if there were any in particular that you liked.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

I've got 10 years experience. How do you find it working there? Is the system
better? It's certainly nice to know that teachers can be paid well there. I'm glad that there are opportunities for relief work, seems like you managed to pick a lot of work up. From reading on this site, I gather that it's hard to get a job before you go. I'm guessing that's probably because employers wouldn't consider anyone until a person is fully registered. Can you recommend any good relief agencies? I've seen a couple and also some general sites like seek.com but wondered if there were any in particular that you liked.
I've never used an agency in my whole teaching career, sorry! I do it the old fashioned way - drive around the schools with my CV, smile, be polite, turn on the Irish charm and BAMMMM!!! lol
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

The old fashioned way is working well for you...good on ya! Unfortunately I won't be able to pull of the Irish accent without some serious voice coaching. However, a smile and a bit of charm is definitely achievable so there's hope.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:53 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

The old fashioned way is working well for you...good on ya! Unfortunately I won't be able to pull of the Irish accent without some serious voice coaching. However, a smile and a bit of charm is definitely achievable so there's hope.
Haha you'll be grand, keep me posted how you get on ok! You have your skills assessment and your visa already don't u?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:47 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I'm on an annual salary of $75k here in Qld, and thats with 10 years experience...not sure if that's much help though for SA!? LOL
That seems to be similar to SA but I have heard that they pay more in Victoria.

There maybe a difference between the State, Catholic and Christian schools though.

Cooler
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Jen, still on the first stage...skills assessment. Next stage is State sponsorship. It's a long process but hopefully worth it in the end.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen, still on the first stage...skills assessment. Next stage is State sponsorship. It's a long process but hopefully worth it in the end.
Oh ok, good luck, you'll get there in the end!