Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Prospective science/maths teacher in australia...any answers appreciated!

Prospective science/maths teacher in australia...any answers appreciated!

Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Rachel_Louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospective science/maths teacher in australia...any answers appreciated!

Hi, have read various other posts on teaching in Oz but nothing that fits my situation, so i thought i would try some questions.

a bit of info...I am an Australian citizen living in Wales. I am completing a 3 year course in Secondary teaching (major science, minor maths).

1) is it absolutely ESSENTIAL that I have four years of uni under my belt? do all states require this?

The course I am doing, once completed automatically grants me QTS, without the need for a PGCE.

2) Will the non-PGCE QTS be recognised? or is it irrelevent how the QTS is obtained, as long as it has been?

I was hoping to complete the course and get out there without doing my NQT year with the hope of completing an Oz equivalent (the course im doing is based heavily around teaching placements, so I would have a small amount of experience- roughly 2 years)

3) Is this possible? (If this is not possible without doing a fourth year of study, then I would do my NQT year alongside another yearsstudy)

4) do i need any considerable length of teaching experience in UK before registering for jobs over there?

Thats about it for now, I would appreciate any extra information you can give me.
It doesnt matter what state i go to, wherever you believe the process to be less complicated/higher chance of success!

NB my degree will be a batchelors degree (1 year foundation degree, 2 years undergrad). I will only be topping the degree up to honours if 4 years higher education is required. Will my chances of getting work decrease if i dont go for the honours?

Thankyou very much in advance!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prospective science/maths teacher in australia...any answers appreciated!

Originally Posted by Rachel_Louise
Hi, have read various other posts on teaching in Oz but nothing that fits my situation, so i thought i would try some questions.

a bit of info...I am an Australian citizen living in Wales. I am completing a 3 year course in Secondary teaching (major science, minor maths).

1) is it absolutely ESSENTIAL that I have four years of uni under my belt? do all states require this?

The course I am doing, once completed automatically grants me QTS, without the need for a PGCE.

2) Will the non-PGCE QTS be recognised? or is it irrelevent how the QTS is obtained, as long as it has been?

I was hoping to complete the course and get out there without doing my NQT year with the hope of completing an Oz equivalent (the course im doing is based heavily around teaching placements, so I would have a small amount of experience- roughly 2 years)

3) Is this possible? (If this is not possible without doing a fourth year of study, then I would do my NQT year alongside another yearsstudy)

4) do i need any considerable length of teaching experience in UK before registering for jobs over there?

Thats about it for now, I would appreciate any extra information you can give me.
It doesnt matter what state i go to, wherever you believe the process to be less complicated/higher chance of success!

NB my degree will be a batchelors degree (1 year foundation degree, 2 years undergrad). I will only be topping the degree up to honours if 4 years higher education is required. Will my chances of getting work decrease if i dont go for the honours?

As far as I know:
1) Yes
2) No
3) No need (I think)
4) No, but it helps
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prospective science/maths teacher in australia...any answers appreciated!

Originally Posted by Rachel_Louise

5)Will my chances of getting work decrease if i dont go for the honours?

As above, BUT - for 3)....
1) Yes
2) No
3) you wouldn't be able to do the fourth year alongside teaching, it has to be a full time course for it to be comparable to Australian Qualifications. And the NQT year is pretty full on - there really isn't time to study as well, they tend to not just fail you at the end of the year, they will fail you before you get there if you are not meeting the grade and you will loose your NQT job.
4) Not if you already have a visa as an Australia Citizen (you would need 12 months for the visa if not). But the time on teaching placements will not count as 'experience', as experience is only counted from after you qualified, not gained whilst on your course.
5) yes, as you will not be able to register as a teacher, and therefore cannot work as a teacher in Australia without this (its not like here, where you can be a Cover Supervisor and still basically work as a teacher, there are MASSIVE fines for putting someone who is not a qualified teacher in front of a class out there, so it doesn't happen like it does here - not sure about Private schools, and what the rules are, but there isn't really a lack of teachers over there (dependant on the area, for eg the outback need people) so I wouldn't take the risk myself.

Hope that helps - get the 4 year degree, then over you pop - you've done the hard bit really, getting the Australian visa, the rest is just form filling in and tick boxes