Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Australia Teaching _ What to take

Australia Teaching _ What to take

Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:55 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia Teaching _ What to take

Hi,
I finish Friday 17th July and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what maybe useful to take as we hope to have the visa in the next few weeks ().

I have not yet got my reference from my Head although I have one from last November when he did one for TA cert. Should I get one from my HOD?

Not copied all the useful CD's yet

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:39 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Teaching _ What to take

Lots of jobs applications require three references, so make sure you have three. Then I photocopied each one loads of times (its free at school! Also printed lots of copies of CV too).
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:22 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
Lots of jobs applications require three references, so make sure you have three. Then I photocopied each one loads of times (its free at school! Also printed lots of copies of CV too).
Three!

Right, I'll crack on then.

Think one could be a character reference say from a vicar?

Thanks WS,
Cooler
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Three!

Right, I'll crack on then.

Think one could be a character reference say from a vicar?

Thanks WS,
Cooler
Hi

Bring as many resources as you can on memory stick or hard drive. I use my UK stuff a lot and so do the others in my department. Often find my text books, work books and revision guides on others desks. There are great resources here as well however it does take time getting used to new reference materials. Have been on some great PD's and schools in my area are brilliant at sharing. Not only that we share across region and state. We're in WA. Have found great support from all areas and I've been teaching 17 years.

I also had 3 references although only 2 were needed but was advised to have 3. Also made sure I had mulitple copies of CV and refs and other docs needed for registration and visa.

Wish you well.

Nx
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:38 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes one could be a character reference. I got refs from the Head, Deputy Head and a HoD which is ok.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:19 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by lekkilizard
Hi

Bring as many resources as you can on memory stick or hard drive. I use my UK stuff a lot and so do the others in my department. Often find my text books, work books and revision guides on others desks. There are great resources here as well however it does take time getting used to new reference materials. Have been on some great PD's and schools in my area are brilliant at sharing. Not only that we share across region and state. We're in WA. Have found great support from all areas and I've been teaching 17 years.

I also had 3 references although only 2 were needed but was advised to have 3. Also made sure I had mulitple copies of CV and refs and other docs needed for registration and visa.

Wish you well.

Nx
Cleared my room today and have got many resources just off in a bit to buy a big USB stick to copy from my laptop (good by old friend) and also get anything left on the school network Taken plenty of old books etc that are not used anymore.

Got a reference from the Head from Dec which was for TA and was pretty good, think the date will still be fine?

Thanks lekkilizard and WS, just finishing my leaving speach to the whole staff they make a big thing of it at my school (soon to be old) last year two people alone spent 30mins each

Cheers and thanks for the help,
Cooler
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Cleared my room today and have got many resources just off in a bit to buy a big USB stick to copy from my laptop (good by old friend) and also get anything left on the school network Taken plenty of old books etc that are not used anymore.

Got a reference from the Head from Dec which was for TA and was pretty good, think the date will still be fine?

Thanks lekkilizard and WS, just finishing my leaving speach to the whole staff they make a big thing of it at my school (soon to be old) last year two people alone spent 30mins each

Cheers and thanks for the help,
Cooler

Cooler

Good luck! When are you flying? Good heads up for CV's etc although no where near visa for us yet! Will be great to hear how you find schools in Oz.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:49 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by nbn8
Cooler

Good luck! When are you flying? Good heads up for CV's etc although no where near visa for us yet! Will be great to hear how you find schools in Oz.
We lodged 6th March and have been told by our agent that we should get our visa in about three weeks so if that's true, you won't be far behind

We will be ready to as soon as the visa goes as the house should be sold in three weeks and then I reckon we'd be gone within two weeks.

I took a chance with handing my notice in three weeks before the end of last term so that it gave them a chance to get someone to replace me and also give us the chance to leave this summer. Worth noting that leaving at half-terms is at a Heads discretion.

Leaving speech went well, left them with a rude joke to remember me!

Cooler
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

We lodged 6th March and have been told by our agent that we should get our visa in about three weeks so if that's true, you won't be far behind

We will be ready to as soon as the visa goes as the house should be sold in three weeks and then I reckon we'd be gone within two weeks.

I took a chance with handing my notice in three weeks before the end of last term so that it gave them a chance to get someone to replace me and also give us the chance to leave this summer. Worth noting that leaving at half-terms is at a Heads discretion.

Leaving speech went well, left them with a rude joke to remember me!

Cooler

Are you are 176 visa then? I dont expect to hear anything for a while yet. I didnt know you possibly couldnt leave at half term nice to know. Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:11 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by nbn8
Are you are 176 visa then? I dont expect to hear anything for a while yet. I didnt know you possibly couldnt leave at half term nice to know. Good luck
176 but family sponsored, even so, though agent we are using has a good reputation and have been quite conservative in predictions before.

So

Cooler
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

176 but family sponsored, even so, though agent we are using has a good reputation and have been quite conservative in predictions before.

So

Cooler
Could be a little late but you need to get statements of service from each and every school you've worked in. Otherwise schools over here are unlikely to recognise your teaching experience for pay purposes and you'll start at the bottom of the pay scale.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Could be a little late but you need to get statements of service from each and every school you've worked in. Otherwise schools over here are unlikely to recognise your teaching experience for pay purposes and you'll start at the bottom of the pay scale.
Yes, I agree with this as hubby has been teaching quite a while and he was told this. Was right pain trying to get this from schools a long time ago and staff had moved on.

Gems
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:17 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by Gems
Yes, I agree with this as hubby has been teaching quite a while and he was told this. Was right pain trying to get this from schools a long time ago and staff had moved on.

Gems
Thanks to you both, fortunately I have worked in the same school for eleven years and this is one of the reasons I did not move.

Is this true in state and private sector?

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:32 am
WS

The private schools I've done relief in just asked me how many years experience I had and paid me accordingly. They didn't ask for any written evidence
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to you both, fortunately I have worked in the same school for eleven years and this is one of the reasons I did not move.

Is this true in state and private sector?

Cheers,
Cooler
Don't know, I showed my statements of service to the private school I worked in but they weren't that bothered. The state schools really really need them though