Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Anyone filled in a christian school application?

Anyone filled in a christian school application?

Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:12 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone filled in a christian school application?

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Not sure if mispelling was intentional, but just to help you NOT get caught out.......diocese.
Thanks, I didn't check the post as I was in a hurry. Normally I spell check everything so as not to give people pointless ammo. Don't forget either, I'm not the teacher the wife is. Spelling was never my strong point.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Thanks, I didn't check the post as I was in a hurry. Normally I spell check everything so as not to give people pointless ammo. Don't forget either, I'm not the teacher the wife is. Spelling was never my strong point.

No worries. I wasn't having a go - I promise
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:57 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Wow, what a coincidence...jobs I'm looking into at the moment are in similar areas...is your wife primary or secondary??? I might have some strong competition!!!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 11:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Wow, what a coincidence...jobs I'm looking into at the moment are in similar areas...is your wife primary or secondary??? I might have some strong competition!!!
Secondary and above. As for competion, I shouldn't worry about it as we don't intend to be here for long.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:27 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

While I appreciate everyones responses, your posts are not exactly helping my situation and just proves what I suspected and that was if I give the wrong answers that don't meet exactly soemones one sided and blinkered view then the chance of getting the job is zero.

Please don't use this thread to talk or debate religion as it's the one subject noone can ever prove or disprove and then we end up with burning people at the stake. We need help on how to answer a religious Christian application form in the least likely way to offend a Christian whilst still getting the job.

We will take our chances at the pearly gates later!
why don't you post the specific questions and the specific type of school (ie catholic, Lutheran etc) as each of these schools will probably be more relaxed in viewpoints in different areas.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:11 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
why don't you post the specific questions and the specific type of school (ie catholic, Lutheran etc) as each of these schools will probably be more relaxed in viewpoints in different areas.
I would have done but I've had some PM's and how now sorted it out. Another BE member was good enough to help us out with all the questions. But just so you can all see what the questions were like I will post them, please though, no need to answer them or get into a religious row over them....

The Questions:

1) Give a brief account of your Christian experience and conversion.

2) Give your own definition of a Christian.

3) What are your views about the authority and historical accuracy of the bible?

4) What do you think a Christians school's position ought t be for each of the following areas:-

a) Marriage / de facto relationships

b) The use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco and marijuana

c) Homosexuality

d) Dress and behaviour codes

5) What do you believe is the unique function of a Christian School?

6) What is your motive in seeking a position in a Christian school?

7) There are some areas where Christians differ in their beliefs. While the school does not demand unifority in all areas, it is important for us to know what you believe. Please make notes on your beliefs in each of the areas listed below.

a) The second coming of Christ

b) You discovera fellow teacher holds firmly to a different view on some theological issue. Your colleague is disturbed by your position. What action would you take?

c) Miracles today

d) Creation V's Evolution
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:23 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I would have done but I've had some PM's and how now sorted it out. Another BE member was good enough to help us out with all the questions. But just so you can all see what the questions were like I will post them, please though, no need to answer them or get into a religious row over them....

The Questions:

1) Give a brief account of your Christian experience and conversion.

2) Give your own definition of a Christian.

3) What are your views about the authority and historical accuracy of the bible?

4) What do you think a Christians school's position ought t be for each of the following areas:-

a) Marriage / de facto relationships

b) The use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco and marijuana

c) Homosexuality

d) Dress and behaviour codes

5) What do you believe is the unique function of a Christian School?

6) What is your motive in seeking a position in a Christian school?

7) There are some areas where Christians differ in their beliefs. While the school does not demand unifority in all areas, it is important for us to know what you believe. Please make notes on your beliefs in each of the areas listed below.

a) The second coming of Christ

b) You discovera fellow teacher holds firmly to a different view on some theological issue. Your colleague is disturbed by your position. What action would you take?

c) Miracles today

d) Creation V's Evolution
Don't worry about that on either score.
The latter ones seemed to be posed as an essay
Glad it was you that was answering it and not me. I'd get a headache! :scared:
I'm glad someone could help you out!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:18 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Don't worry about that on either score.
The latter ones seemed to be posed as an essay
Glad it was you that was answering it and not me. I'd get a headache! :scared:
I'm glad someone could help you out!
It does get worse as she now has another application form from a different Catholic school and they have a different set of questions. To my mind far too much empisis on God and not enough on teaching and doing what's best for the kids.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:11 pm

It does get worse as she now has another application form from a different Catholic school and they have a different set of questions. To my mind far too much empisis on God and not enough on teaching and doing what's best for the kids.
Is there no other school she can apply to as it sounds like she will be unhappy at a Christian school with all the emphasis on Christianity, especially if she doesn't believe it?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:17 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly looks that way. I once taught in a Catholic school, and it was probably the most unpleasant teaching experience I ever had. The staff were just so pious and unpleasant. It was really hard to get any help when you needed it, and other staff members just looked down their noses at everybody else.

There was a massive emphasis on religion there, to the point that it was almost indoctrination/propoganda. I think that Goebbels would have been quite impressed.

I only stayed one term and legged it, but it was certainly fair to say that the emphasis wasn't on the quality of your teaching, but on your commitment to the catholic values, blah blah blah. But of course, because they were a selective school, they still got great results, as they only selected the brightest kids from the primary catchment area.

There was something very broken about the whole place...

S
Old Dec 15th 2006, 1:55 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Not all the Christian/Catholic schools are terrible places - they have a multitude of positive aspects. Even though I attended state schools growing up, having taught in both private (Christian) and state, and now having a child of my own, I'm really starting to consider the value of sending her to a private school. The difference in behaviour is phenomenal, and as a teacher I consider the sad standards of behaviour amongst kids to be one of the greatest challenges to learning today.

I have family members/friends teaching in the Catholic system and they seem a lot more open/accepting of non-Christian teachers than the pentacostal Christian schools, provided you are willing to support their 'ethos'.

Anyway, enough of that! Why are you not staying long? Is that just in Qld or are you heading back to the UK? I'm Secondary and just got a rejection letter today (just in time for Christmas, yippee!) from a Catholic school... Also just stumbled across the Scottish Natural Heritage trying to recruit families to a remote island off the west coast of Scotland...pity I missed the cut off for applications by a couple weeks!!! Wish it were easier to get teaching jobs in the UK from Oz...I'd go back tomorrow if I could!

Best of luck with O/H's job hunt! It really sucks!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:45 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Not all the Christian/Catholic schools are terrible places - they have a multitude of positive aspects. Even though I attended state schools growing up, having taught in both private (Christian) and state, and now having a child of my own, I'm really starting to consider the value of sending her to a private school. The difference in behaviour is phenomenal, and as a teacher I consider the sad standards of behaviour amongst kids to be one of the greatest challenges to learning today.

I have family members/friends teaching in the Catholic system and they seem a lot more open/accepting of non-Christian teachers than the pentacostal Christian schools, provided you are willing to support their 'ethos'.

Anyway, enough of that! Why are you not staying long? Is that just in Qld or are you heading back to the UK? I'm Secondary and just got a rejection letter today (just in time for Christmas, yippee!) from a Catholic school... Also just stumbled across the Scottish Natural Heritage trying to recruit families to a remote island off the west coast of Scotland...pity I missed the cut off for applications by a couple weeks!!! Wish it were easier to get teaching jobs in the UK from Oz...I'd go back tomorrow if I could!

Best of luck with O/H's job hunt! It really sucks!
We are not staying long because we dislike the place with a passion as you could probably tell from my posts. Unfortunately while we are stuck here the OH wants to work, and the christian schools will at least widen the number of places she can work whilst we are stuck here. The really ironic thing is she has been offered her old job back in the UK plus another really good head of dept. job back home too since we have been here! Luckily both jobs are open for a while so if the place sells before they get filled where offski!