Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

I have been INCREDIBLY fortunate since my rego came through at the end of May, out of a possible 110 teaching days I've worked 96, and most of those in contracts. Here's hoping next year is as busy!!! Good luck to all of those coming to Queensland to teach, if you put the groundwork in, it should pay off!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

SRDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Once you have registered with Ed Qld/DETA you can also get a rating and go into the pool for jobs. I agree, it sucks. I trained in Qld but taught in an independent school before heading to the UK and good old TES Jobs. Couldn't believe it when I moved back to Qld and they wanted us to line up like cattle to be shunted out to wherever they fancied. NSW, Vic, NT all seem to be able to cope with recruiting via advertisement. The only thing I can think of is that Qld has some outback areas they need to fill - but surely supply/demand would sort this out??

It's a tough region to crack! My cousin is Aussie and can't get a school job either - she's in a childcare centre. It can take years of day to day supply and short contracts to finally get your foot in the door in some regions. It took ages before I started getting offered contracts - and that was in my home town, where the Principals knew me as an ex-pupil! A friend just got offered permanency with Ed Qld but if she wants to accept it she has to move to far north Qld.

I think anyone trying to find work in SE Qld (one of the fastest growing regions of Australia) needs to be prepared for a long slog. If you are still in the UK I'd be researching destinations north of the Sunshine Coast, and west of Toowoomba.
Hi,

I've just applied for the QCT registration, then I come across this Ed Qld/DETA registration post.....Do I need to do this as well? Does this call for certified docs also?

Please help!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:31 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SRDL
Hi,

I've just applied for the QCT registration, then I come across this Ed Qld/DETA registration post.....Do I need to do this as well? Does this call for certified docs also?

Please help!
Yupper, it's called the Teacher Applicant Centre and it's in Ipswich! My rego came through one day, and the TAC already had my docs, which they couldn't process til they had the QCT rego came thru, the TAC then processed the docs I'd sent them in less than 24 hours! BINGO!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Yupper, it's called the Teacher Applicant Centre and it's in Ipswich! My rego came through one day, and the TAC already had my docs, which they couldn't process til they had the QCT rego came thru, the TAC then processed the docs I'd sent them in less than 24 hours! BINGO!
Ah Jaysus, and I thought I was doing well when I eventually rooted out the docs for QCT rego!!!

I've just looked at the TAC application form. So I need to get 2 certified copies of;
  • Birth Cert
  • Degree transcript
  • Degree Cert
  • PGCE Cert
  • QTS Cert
One for QCT one for TAC, and then statement of service, 2 references and police clearance from both UK and Ireland.

Shall I write down what I have for breakfast that morning!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:08 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Ah Jaysus, and I thought I was doing well when I eventually rooted out the docs for QCT rego!!!

I've just looked at the TAC application form. So I need to get 2 certified copies of;
  • Birth Cert
  • Degree transcript
  • Degree Cert
  • PGCE Cert
  • QTS Cert
One for QCT one for TAC, and then statement of service, 2 references and police clearance from both UK and Ireland.

Shall I write down what I have for breakfast that morning!!!!
HAHA trust me, it'll all end up ok! We moved here in Feb 2010 and I didn't have my rego til nearly June, be prepared, get it sent off while ur still in the UK and you'll be laughin! Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

HAHA trust me, it'll all end up ok! We moved here in Feb 2010 and I didn't have my rego til nearly June, be prepared, get it sent off while ur still in the UK and you'll be laughin! Good luck!
Cheer Jen My friend landed in Brisbane this morning, so I might try get her do do some leg work for me before I get there, wonder what I can rope her into doing for me.

My fave Irish saying regarding all things Australia is: Ah **** it shur, it'll be grand!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thought I was ready to click submit and re-read the QCT registration guidelines.
I now need to have my references, statement of service and police clearance certs copied and certified by a Justice of Peace as well!!!! Jesus, this better be worth it!

Jen - am I reading that correctly, did you have your references etc certified as wll.....you'd think the originals would suffice!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:44 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Thought I was ready to click submit and re-read the QCT registration guidelines.
I now need to have my references, statement of service and police clearance certs copied and certified by a Justice of Peace as well!!!! Jesus, this better be worth it!

Jen - am I reading that correctly, did you have your references etc certified as wll.....you'd think the originals would suffice!
I had everything certified that they needed, if I remember rightly? It was over a year ago now though, and lately I can't even remember what I did last week lol
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

I had everything certified that they needed, if I remember rightly? It was over a year ago now though, and lately I can't even remember what I did last week lol
Thats that then Cheers Jen
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:14 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Thats that then Cheers Jen
Make sure you also have your degree transcripts. They sent all my documents back as I didn't have these. They also need to be jp'd.... It's a right pain in the arse!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Make sure you also have your degree transcripts. They sent all my documents back as I didn't have these. They also need to be jp'd.... It's a right pain in the arse!
Hi TurbaExplorer....quick question. I have only got the final years academic transcript, do you know if they'll accept that or will it need to be the four year transcript?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:05 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TurbaExplorer....quick question. I have only got the final years academic transcript, do you know if they'll accept that or will it need to be the four year transcript?
I did mine through an agent and they made me chase down all three years of my degree. I even managed to get all my exam results!

Think you did need the whole of your course, someone else may have more recent experience than I.

Cooler
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
I did mine through an agent and they made me chase down all three years of my degree. I even managed to get all my exam results!

Think you did need the whole of your course, someone else may have more recent experience than I.

Cooler
Cheers Cooler, I erred on the side of caution and ordered the four years yesterday....just to be safe, glad now. Not looking forward to those exam results mind!

Su
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:30 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Cooler, I erred on the side of caution and ordered the four years yesterday....just to be safe, glad now. Not looking forward to those exam results mind!

Su
Yes, I nearly mentioned that my three years was from my degree and that I had to get scripts for my PGCE.

Good luck,
Cooler
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:07 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Get 10 copies of everything certified while you're with the JP!!