Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

are all PGCEs recognised in all of Australia?

are all PGCEs recognised in all of Australia?

Old May 10th 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

dbf089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are all PGCEs recognised in all of Australia?

Hi all

I am looking to train as a teacher in the UK, and want to keep open the option of using my qualification to teach in Australia. I am planning to do a (uni based) PGCE, and I want to make sure that qualification will be recognised in Australia.

So I have the following questions:
a) Does it matter where I train? Does Australia recognise the uni based PGCE qualification no matter who awards it?

b) Does it vary by state or not?

c) If it does matter, then how can I find out which universities are recognised?

I have tried to find out via Google, but there seem to be loads of Aus teaching boards/associations/websites and I can't figure out which one I'm after.

Incidentally, visa isn't an issue in my case, so no need for any advice or warnings from that stance.

Many thanks everyone!
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:33 am
Just Joined

lc77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: are all PGCEs recognised in all of Australia?

I think it will depend where in Australia you intend to teach. Each state has their own teacher registration process, with their own requirements. If you have an idea where you want to end up, I would suggest contacting the relevant teacher registration authorities in those particular states. The following has links to each state's registration board

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/about-us/lin...on-authorities

Good luck!
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

dbf089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: are all PGCEs recognised in all of Australia?

Righto, thanks lc77!