Wesgreen School 2011

Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Sanzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Wesgreen School 2011

Hey everyone,

Ive taken up a position at Wesgreen International School, Sharjah and was wondering if anybody can tell me anything about living in Sharjar??? Im a 27yr old single female and to be honest not really looking forward to staring at a box every evening

Cheers ....
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Pomgone is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Wesgreen School 2011

Originally Posted by Sanzy
Hey everyone,

Ive taken up a position at Wesgreen International School, Sharjah and was wondering if anybody can tell me anything about living in Sharjar??? Im a 27yr old single female and to be honest not really looking forward to staring at a box every evening

Cheers ....
Relax now, my dear! In a few months you will be looking at the job adverts and wishing like hell you were anywhere else but that place! It has a very poor reputation for honesty in its dealings with staff, a worse than nonchalant attitude to professional behaviour and an ineviable record at the Ministry of Labor! Sharjah? Culture stops about 300m from the waterline and out where the school is is a veritable desert in more ways than one. How are those dreadful sofas by the way? Still scratching the skin off those who dare to sit in them?
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:29 am
Just Joined

johnlowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wesgreen School 2011

Hey everyone,

Cheers ....
Hi
I've been offered a position at Wesgreen international school starting in January. Before I sign any contract I would welcome any honest feedback anybody has. I'll be traveling with my wife and two children, but need more information on accommodation and the area around the school, the amount of western teachers and familes at the school.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

I am afraid you will find truth and reality distant cousins regarding the school, as many can attest. Check out the reviews they cannot remove on the ISR website. Accommodation is provided by the school in one of two locations: one adjacent to the school and the other on a corner accessed via a lot of roadworks, piles of sand and complete absence of footpaths or any type of paving for that matter. If you want to find your own accommodation, the school will contribute so little you won't be able to find anywhere without eating into the little they will pay. The area around the school is awful. It houses poorly paid labourers who make forays outside the compound/school on foot very uncomfortable, especially for women. There are myriad little shops selling nothing that you will want. Sharjah is the industrial area of the UAE. To get anywhere you will need a taxi. The school did provide a minibus a few years back but this died a death when people gave up on the 'service' it did not provide. Traffic is dire so getting to school if on the Corniche side of the Emirates Road will present a completely new kind of hell. Many staff resort to the low grade gossipy atmosphere of the Sharjah Wanderers Club where, unless you have a foreign-sounding name you will be welcome. Use some good common sense and head for the myriad of sports clubs in Dubai - provided you have wheels. Sorry! The school won't process your visa for three months so you won't be able to get a car because you need the residence visa. In that time, acquire via the internet a copy of the Bilo of Private Education 1999 and the Labour Law No. 8 of 1980. Spend your evenings learning them for when the school engages in some of its extremely dodgy dealings with staff pay; all totally illegal. The school has western teachers - not all qualified but, hey! Call them a 'secretary' on the Labour Card and you can be sure the Ministry of Education will never call them up for an approval interview. Even if you are qualified, they will tell you after you are supposed to front up to the MOE. It used to have more western teachers but anyone with high standards and the sort of ethics you will be used to is as scarce as hen's teeth. This includes Senior Management. Make sure any laptop you take there has a rock solid firewall and serious levels of 'protection' because many staff contracted viruses that totally disabled their personal computers. The school's own protection is rarely operative. Good luck!

Last edited by Pomgone; Oct 29th 2011 at 4:31 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

I am afraid you will find truth and reality distant cousins regarding the school, as many can attest. Check out the reviews they cannot remove on the ISR website. Accommodation is provided by the school in one of two locations: one adjacent to the school and the other on a corner accessed via a lot of roadworks, piles of sand and complete absence of footpaths or any type of paving for that matter. If you want to find your own accommodation, the school will contribute so little you won't be able to find anywhere without eating into the little they will pay. The area around the school is awful. It houses poorly paid labourers who make forays outside the compound/school on foot very uncomfortable, especially for women. There are myriad little shops selling nothing that you will want. Sharjah is the industrial area of the UAE. To get anywhere you will need a taxi. The school did provide a minibus a few years back but this died a death when people gave up on the 'service' it did not provide. Traffic is dire so getting to school if on the Corniche side of the Emirates Road will present a completely new kind of hell. Many staff resort to the low grade gossipy atmosphere of the Sharjah Wanderers Club where, unless you have a foreign-sounding name you will be welcome. Use some good common sense and head for the myriad of sports clubs in Dubai - provided you have wheels. Sorry! The school won't process your visa for three months so you won't be able to get a car because you need the residence visa. In that time, acquire via the internet a copy of the Bilo of Private Education 1999 and the Labour Law No. 8 of 1980. Spend your evenings learning them for when the school engages in some of its extremely dodgy dealings with staff pay; all totally illegal. The school has western teachers - not all qualified but, hey! Call them a 'secretary' on the Labour Card and you can be sure the Ministry of Education will never call them up for an approval interview. Even if you are qualified, they will tell you after you are supposed to front up to the MOE. It used to have more western teachers but anyone with high standards and the sort of ethics you will be used to is as scarce as hen's teeth. This includes Senior Management. Make sure any laptop you take there has a rock solid firewall and serious levels of 'protection' because many staff contracted viruses that totally disabled their personal computers. The school's own protection is rarely operative. Good luck!
Old May 17th 2012, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Shinny12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,

Cheers ....
Hi, Just wondering how your finding the school and the job. Got an interview on Sunday with the school.
Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

casper28 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello there.
i was wondering how you finding the school?? i will be taking a position there starting in september this year and wondering if its as bad as what some people are saying??
can you give any information on the accommodation??

thank you
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Elsbeth is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also offered a position at Wesgreen for September! I have yet to make a decision but so far with what I've been reading on various forums, it's not looking good...
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Ya I know. The write ups don't look too good hey.. But I'm relatively new at teaching at even tho it sounds bad. It surely can't be as bad as some of the schools I have been teaching in.. Its nice that the work is set out for us but not so kewl that we can't really individualise our own teaching styles... I think it will be good for the experience and honestly, anything is better than where I have been teaching..... It is a tough decision to make tho.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Very tough, and I have little time left to decide! How long have you been teaching and where? Can I ask what salary Wesgreen has offered you? Feel free to pm me if you want, who knows we may end up being colleagues!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

ive been teaching for 2 years now and in south africa.. where you from?? will send you a pm now. if im able to
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Great
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

riley12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I also just accepted a job at wesgreen starting this september - any chance someone has good reviews??? I'm beginning to get very nervous as I can only find bad reviews....
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

riley12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elsbeth
I was also offered a position at Wesgreen for September! I have yet to make a decision but so far with what I've been reading on various forums, it's not looking good...
Hi,

Did you accept the offer? I got offered a job starting this september, and i decided to take it...but now after having read everything i'm beginning to get very nervous...
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Hello riley.. I've also accepted a job there starting in september.. The reviews do seem a little scary. But there are a lot of ppl who are starting at wesgreen in september. So atleast we'll all be going thru it together... I think that even tho the reviews are bad. Its something we just gonna have to deal with and then in a couple months time, we'll all be able to answer any future questions about the school.. Cus there are only a few ppl who speak about the school and the reviews are very mixed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.