Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

3 years processing time - is this right?

3 years processing time - is this right?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road
Default 3 years processing time - is this right?

Claerly a lesson not to put these things off....

I'm a primary teacher with 2 and a half years experience. Keen to apply for SS 176 visa for the NT (not to queue jump I hasten to add, but because I've lived in Darwin & love the NT).

Visa immigration agent says processing time is now likely to be 3 years since changes announced this month....should have applied this time last year when I was first mulling it all over...really, is this likely to be true or just worst-case scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice, Uklass
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

ldsnooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 years processing time - is this right?

I know exactly how you feel!!!

I wish I had put mine in earlier by a few months too!! Have you had any joy of anyone getting back to you with advice about the 3 years????
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Only your good self!

To be honest,still holding off, its the sky high rents & cost of houses in the NT that are putting me off now, not the three years wait...Must be my age, starting to think far too sensibly
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:28 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by uklass
Only your good self!

To be honest,still holding off, its the sky high rents & cost of houses in the NT that are putting me off now, not the three years wait...Must be my age, starting to think far too sensibly
I got a 176 state sponsored visa.(Victoria) granted in August 2008 - obviously a while ago now. Processing time was 11 months - at the time we applied as one of the first online applications and had to wait while they cleared backlog of rushed paper applicaitons. I obviously don't know about waiting times now but....

we validated out visa in oct 2008, finished renovating house in July 09, sold house in Nov 09, went to Oz for Hols/ confirmaton visit in Dec 09....

decided not to go....but have now changde our minds....

What I'm trying to say is if you can afford to stump up the cash for the application then do it. It gives you choices/options. We have until Auggust 2013 (I guess the five year rule still applies to new applications) to make the move. If we hadn;t applied then I would now be too old t oget enough points...

Go for it....!

Oh and (even though it took us 11 months) state sponsorship gave us priority processing - those around us took far longer...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:30 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

And... if your circumstance is simple don;t use an agent- all you need is your certificates, etc etc and you can provide the rest yourself. The agent will only ask you to get stuff for them anyway! If however your circumstancrd are complicated then get one!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sniffydog, really appreciate your advice - good to hear fom someone who has been & done it - congrats by the way on the successful visa.

Have been so un-decided, spent the last week thinking thats it will leave it - but feel so deflated. Your advice really stikes a chord, should apply now while I can before the opportunity disappears.

Definately agree with your advice about agents too, have had such contrasting advice from a few different ones after a first consultation that I emailed the NT immigration dept - good job I did as the last agent wasn't correct.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:16 pm
Top Dog

Originally Posted by uklass
Thanks Sniffydog, really appreciate your advice - good to hear fom someone who has been & done it - congrats by the way on the successful visa.

Have been so un-decided, spent the last week thinking thats it will leave it - but feel so deflated. Your advice really stikes a chord, should apply now while I can before the opportunity disappears.

Definately agree with your advice about agents too, have had such contrasting advice from a few different ones after a first consultation that I emailed the NT immigration dept - good job I did as the last agent wasn't correct.

Thanks for the reply.

LEt me know if you want any more specifics .

S.Dog,
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

becandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nice

I just spoke to my agent, and yes processing time is likely to take in excess of 2 years.

At least it might give the £ time to pick up.