Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Your most important decision regardless of whether you stay in Spain or the UK

Your most important decision regardless of whether you stay in Spain or the UK

Old May 5th 2022, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your most important decision regardless of whether you stay in Spain or the

Originally Posted by bobd22
Heres the details to contact them. I found them helpful and friendly.
NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm
Yes, I have usually spoken to older staff members who seem to be wholly familiar with S1 and all its details.
Old May 6th 2022, 7:31 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your most important decision regardless of whether you stay in Spain or the

Heres the details to contact them. I found them helpful and friendly.
NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm
Thanks very much Bob, ET and Joppa for the prompt responses.

​​​​​​I'm entitled to a full state pension, based on the current rules (which I fear may change with all the current economic problems) I also had the 30years NI to make a'full pension' which changed to 35, so I bought AVC's to make it up, in my case I had to buy 6 years worth.

I'll call and check my personal situation with them, not long now before I'll need it!

Ive saved the phone number too

Thanks again Jon
Old May 6th 2022, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't need to be a full pension to qualify you for an S1. I don't think there is any minimum level, or if there is it's very low.
Old May 6th 2022, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks very much Bob, ET and Joppa for the prompt responses.

​​​​​​I'm entitled to a full state pension, based on the current rules (which I fear may change with all the current economic problems) I also had the 30years NI to make a'full pension' which changed to 35, so I bought AVC's to make it up, in my case I had to buy 6 years worth.

I'll call and check my personal situation with them, not long now before I'll need it!

Ive saved the phone number too

Thanks again Jon
So long as you are in receipt of state pension you will be fine John the amount is irrelevant as far as the S1 is concerned. I'm nearly sure that when I applied for my state pension they actually passed my details through to the S1 Department.i have always as I say found both pensions department and overseas health department easy to deal with .
Old May 6th 2022, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you are in receipt of state pension you will be fine
With the caveat, that you haven't worked and also accrued a pension in another EU state since leaving the UK.
I will soon be in receipt of a UK state pension but because I've lived and worked in France for the last 15 years I won't be entitled to an S1.
Old May 6th 2022, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
With the caveat, that you haven't worked and also accrued a pension in another EU state since leaving the UK.
I will soon be in receipt of a UK state pension but because I've lived and worked in France for the last 15 years I won't be entitled to an S1.
Yes sorry that's true
Old May 6th 2022, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Then you should apply to France for your S1
Old May 6th 2022, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Then you should apply to France for your S1
I don't need an S1. S1s are for when the country that picks up your healthcare costs in different than the country you live in. I'm in France and France covers my healthcare costs so not an S1 situation.