Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is your empty home secure!

Is your empty home secure!

Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:04 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your empty home secure!

Originally Posted by Domino
Another little known and largely forgotten group is comprised of ex-Servicemen. According to statistics, up to 30% of homeless people in Britain, particularly longer-term rough sleepers, have served in our Armed Forces at some stage before becoming homeless.
http://www.defencemanagement.com/art...s&article=4271

MORE than 10,000 ex-Forces heroes who proudly served their country will spend this Christmas HOMELESS.
In what campaigners have branded a “national scandal”, as many as one in five rough sleepers have been in the military

http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-worl...2039-23643084/

HOWEVER, it isnt just the soldier (man or woman) that has problems
REMEMBER the problems experienced by the women and children who have to pick up their lives after the death in active service of their soldier

I hope the rules I remember have been altered - where widows had max 7 days to vacate their tied cottage (married quarters) after the death, and if the soldier had been paid in advance the money had to be repaid.
How terrible is that....
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
How terrible is that....
I think they reviewed that a year or so back when they clawed back money from some poor sods family that gave his life in Afghanistan, a disgrace to say the least.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:11 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
How terrible is that....
I remember having to send a signal to a recruiting officer who was in contact with the parents of a guy killed in a UK car accident on leave, he was told that the guy had been paid for Y days but had died at day X and therefore the RN was looking for the overpayment to be refunded.
The guy concerned responded that he was not prepared to do it and that if he felt the need for the money the captain of the ship could go and ask for it.

To the best of my knowledge it was quietly dropped.

ISTR there was a section regarding pay on the "standard" death report form sent to the authorities.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think they reviewed that a year or so back when they clawed back money from some poor sods family that gave his life in Afghanistan, a disgrace to say the least.
you mean after all these years they have still been doing it

The other disgrace is the UK insurance system which takes many weeks/months to pay out on death, requiring original of death cert etc.

that is why when the RN stopped the tot a large sum was paid into the "Tot Fund" which for 5p a day enabled membership so that in the event of death (under any circumstances) a sum of money was paid out in 48hours.

It is the initial period after a death where bank accounts are frozen, etc etc that cash is needed. This is what leads to the problems for servicemen and their families, some of the youngsters who go missing are also from ex service families where they have lost the bedrock of their existance.

Meanwhile, as banks are taking over empty/repossessed homes there are people who are living a poor existance.
Remember it isnt just those living on the streets, its also those who are bunking down on a mates settee, staying for a couple days with relatives etc etc that have to come into the homeless category.

So, Spain isnt the only place where there are problems, as Dave has found out. Perhaps more people should go and find out more about these people living on the edge of civilisation.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the good ole UK are we...why am I not suprised Fortunate it wasn't about gay homeless or it would have been declared off topic and butchered to bits

Anyway if you must, check out the UK homeless laws. Any valid resident of the UK has a right to demand accommodation from their Local Authority. There are also lots of shelters. however, if they are pissed or drugged out of their minds they won't let them in. The charities are a national industry and are there to perpetuate their existance by conning pensioners and the Government out of money! (I am not speaking about the volunteers who do a good job, only the very highly paid charity workers).

Anyone remember the woman who slept for years under the arches next to the Savoy. Everyone used to give her ciggies and a couple of pounds when they were going home. They did a documentary on TV about her and some well-heeled woman gave her a start...she f***ed it up of course! (the homeless person)

So that's it...anymore on the empty homes and squatters in Spain??
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:06 am

Jacky, I know and admit to being a little bit out of date, but local councils used to use the following excuses -
1. You made yourself homeless, i.e. you could have stayed in your military house - after your enlistment term had expired ?
2. You have no ties to this town/city, you have lived for the past X years in Portsmouth, Aldershot, Harrogate etc go back there and find accommodation.

the former is ridiculous but true
and the latter is also ridiculous but true, even when one or both of the couple have mother/father, other relatives living in that town

funny they didnt use the same restrictions when they came to provide housing for the Nepalese who wanted to live in the UK after their service in the Ghurkas had finished - alot of their time was spent in Hong Kong.

Sorry Jacky, in many ways the backup systems for ex servicemen are more like that from the Napoleonic Wars than a modern society
Why do you think there are so many charities for ex servicemen and women, all duplicating the work of other "civilian" charities ??
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jackytoo;9965386]Back in the good ole UK are we...why am I not suprised QUOTE]

Yes it is the threads that require a little knowledge of Spain that show how little British expats know about the country they live in
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I've heard it said that the majority of people are only one pay packet away from potential homelessness. So many people (either because they are on very low incomes or have relied too much on credit) haven't been able to save any money, and it only takes something like being made redundant or a relationship breakdown for their whole life to fall apart. Single (or newly single) people without children are particularly vulnerable as they don't get as much welfare support.

My stepdaughter could have been in this position last year, in the UK. She had been living in rented accommodation with her boyfriend. They split up and he moved out, leaving her to pay all the rent. Then she was made redundant. The landlord was not prepared to rent to anyone on Housing Benefit (and her application for Housing Benefit was taking weeks anyway). She was very lucky and found another job (and her boss, who owns some investment properties, included a rented house as part of her salary package) just in time, or she could have ended up homeless.

Not everyone who ends up in that situation is there because of alcohol, drug or mental health issues.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
back home we had an area of predominately (but not exclusively) immigrant families who used to throw their rubbish out of the window into the very small front garden, piling up week on week.
urgent discussions following rat infestation in the area led to community leaders having strong words with the people concerned - would that work here ??
Shortly before Christmas I did see the President of the local Neighbourhood Association (who is a gitano himself) going up to the house in question, and possibly because of that and increased patrols from the Policia Local, things have improved somewhat since then. I hope they keep it up!

I think you are right, they are more likely to take notice of those from within their own community rather than foreigners, and they certainly aren't too fond of the police!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I think you are right, they are more likely to take notice of those from within their own community rather than foreigners, and they certainly aren't too fond of the police!
Yep and they wont take orders from payos

I have fairly distant relatives who live in Alhaurin El Grande in a neighbourhood surrounded by Gypsies. They are always complaining about their neighbours, saying stupid theaving Spanish this and that.

They are the ones who paid hundreds of thousands of euros to live with the gypsies. They only stick their noses up at them so no wonder their house gets burgled, cars damaged etc
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Jacky back in the good days they even used to give housing priority to ex forces etc. Believe me if in the UK you could get some one from the local authority to show an interest in an homeless serviceman he would need to be on drugs to live in the hovel they may offer him. In my experience it is slightly better for females if they come from a DV background which I can understand. The UK has changes as well as Spain .
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably the best hope is the SSAFA hostels but they are limited
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Families cannot be without somewhere to stay. Luckily there are actually very few cases like this in Spain nowadays. Look at the archives from the 60s and 70s and you will see that almost every Spanish city had shacks on the outskirts where people lived who had come from the countryside

However, with all the bank repossessions this problem is going to get worse

I would take blocks of flats from bankrupted property developers (there are 10,000s around) and convert them into social housing. Wouldnt cost too much

Ditto, houses that failed to sell at auction when repossesed

And then I'd convert empty wharehouses on the edge of the towns into giant food banks

That's how big the problem could get in the South of Spain. Fingers crossed that it won't
A lot of answers to this post go on about Spain "not having a pot to piss in". But if money that's been paid to support banks all over Europe was used instead to support mortgages either mortgagees falling behind, or new mortgages there would be an upsurge in the economy straight away. People who feel secure spend..and earn more. It's a simple fact that Europe has just given the bankers who've****'d us all to turn us round and do it again, instead of putting money into many smaller but more important and productive industries. Homebuilding and ownership is one important pathway to this improvement.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I'm sure I've heard it said that the majority of people are only one pay packet away from potential homelessness. So many people (either because they are on very low incomes or have relied too much on credit) haven't been able to save any money, and it only takes something like being made redundant or a relationship breakdown for their whole life to fall apart. Single (or newly single) people without children are particularly vulnerable as they don't get as much welfare support.

My stepdaughter could have been in this position last year, in the UK. She had been living in rented accommodation with her boyfriend. They split up and he moved out, leaving her to pay all the rent. Then she was made redundant. The landlord was not prepared to rent to anyone on Housing Benefit (and her application for Housing Benefit was taking weeks anyway). She was very lucky and found another job (and her boss, who owns some investment properties, included a rented house as part of her salary package) just in time, or she could have ended up homeless.

Not everyone who ends up in that situation is there because of alcohol, drug or mental health issues.
Where was this? When I worked as a volunteer we found we could normally sort out housing benefit within 48 hours.

There also seem a few here who seem to associate mental illness and alcoholism with being homeless, something that is far from true; while there are some cases they are in the minority. In fact many folk with mental health/substance abuse issues hold down steady jobs and function well in society.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Where was this? When I worked as a volunteer we found we could normally sort out housing benefit within 48 hours.

There also seem a few here who seem to associate mental illness and alcoholism with being homeless, something that is far from true; while there are some cases they are in the minority. In fact many folk with mental health/substance abuse issues hold down steady jobs and function well in society.
All that was said is there are various reasons including these and others for being homeless. By the way those truly abusing substances in my experience which is innner City Estates in the North east do not either function well or hold down steady jobs. Recreational drug/substance abuse by the better off in society is a different matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.