Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is your empty home secure!

Is your empty home secure!

Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your empty home secure!

Originally Posted by bob_bob

Give the Gypsy's that housing development designed for 30,000 that was talked about in another thread, its empty just now.
Actually no, Santander has managed to sell off most of that 30,000 development at half price, so guess it wont be a ghost town for long

And those houses the gypsy family are living have been deemed unfit for habitation because of the poor quality of construction. The family is not taking any property away from anyone, it is simply lodging in a building that could collapse at any minute

You guys could have read the article to realise that
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm sure CM would think exactly the same if he popped off somewhere for a holiday and came back and found a load of gypsies installed in his house. (this assumes he has one, of course). I think this, like a lot of situations, is fine until it happens to you. I know I for one wouldn't be as understanding as he claims he's is, if I found I couldn't enter my home because of a load of okupas.
So you haven't read the article either?
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:34 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Actually no, Santander has managed to sell off most of that 30,000 development at half price, so guess it wont be a ghost town for long

And those houses the gypsy family are living have been deemed unfit for habitation because of the poor quality of construction. The family is not taking any property away from anyone, it is simply lodging in a building that could collapse at any minute
Correct, but you can understand why the spanish families are complaining. Who would want to buy a new house, with a mortgage and find out they have gyppos as neighbours
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:36 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm sure CM would think exactly the same if he popped off somewhere for a holiday and came back and found a load of gypsies installed in his house, and was legally unable to force them out, because of "vivenda digna", and had no choice but to move elsewhere, while legally obligated to continue to pay his mortgage, IBI and contribucion to support his new best friends' "vivenda digna". (this assumes he has one, of course). I think this, like a lot of situations, is fine until it happens to you. I know I for one wouldn't be as understanding as he claims he's is, if I found I couldn't enter my home because of a load of okupas.
I hope you don't mind that I made one addition to your statement.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Correct, but you can understand why the spanish families are complaining. Who would want to buy a new house, with a mortgage and find out they have gyppos as neighbours
And there lies the issue!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

And there lies the issue!
The houses do have an owner a cooperative owns them but they have been unoccupied due to faults with them and a risk of collapse. No doubt should the buildings collapse these people that have illegally occupied them will no doubt sue the cooperative and win their case.

Last edited by bobd22; Mar 19th 2012 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobd22
The houses do have an owner a cooperative owns them but they have been unoccupied due to faults with them and a risk of collapse. No doubt should the buildings collapse these people that have illegally occupied them will no doubt sue the cooperative and win their case.
I doubt it very much. They are unfit to live in and there is not a suing culture in Spain

Again, what is your solution? Do you realise that there are currently half a million people in Spain with zero income? These families are not entitled to one cent of help from the government. How do you expect them to live?

This is not the UK!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a few cases of squatters having moved into empty houses in my area over the last couple of years. In one case, a house further up my street which had been repossessed by a bank and empty for at least 5 years that I know of, I saw the people breaking in one afternoon and told a local policeman about it. He went and knocked on the door and, surprise, surprise, no-one answered. So he just went away and nothing more was ever done about it. The family (yes, gypsies) are still there to this day and have also illegally reconnected the water and electricity supplies.

Until last week, all the cases I know about had involved gypsy families moving into houses that had either been repossessed by banks or abandoned for many years. However, a friend told me recently that a young Spanish family (not gypsies) had broken into a holiday home in her street which is owned by Scandinavian people, the neighbours had contacted the police but, as in the article in this thread, they had said they could do nothing without a judge's order. The owners have been contacted and are supposedly coming over, I don't envy the task that lies ahead of them.

I can only see this problem getting worse in the current economic climate. There are lots of houses near me that are empty for most of the year, one house in my street was a holiday home but no-one has been to stay in it for at least 3 years now. I do understand how difficult it must be for families with no hope of a job or a home of their own, but I can't say it makes me sleep any easier at night and I confess I wouldn't be too happy to go away for a long holiday at present. It will be another nail in the coffin for the property market, who is going to want to buy a holiday home if they can't be reasonably sure that another family isn't going to have moved into it the next time they come over?
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
May I suggest keeping ones dick in ones pants until things improve.
I don't think I've agreed with a simple post in reply to a simple quote so much.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
Of course most people don't get what they deserve. It is like the increased vague and often misguided use of the words entitlement and freedom. The latest one in the UK is the freedom to have a family life. When did that automatically become the natural order of things. How long before owning a car and a TV become human rights. The whole human rights lobby and the European Court is degrading it's own cause.
So while I would like to see society ensure that all its citizens receive shelter let's not talk of deserving, entitlement or freedom. It is society or charity that should provide not people feeling that they have an inalienable right to it. Therein lies problems
OK...Twice in one thread.....
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it very much. They are unfit to live in and there is not a suing culture in Spain

Again, what is your solution? Do you realise that there are currently half a million people in Spain with zero income? These families are not entitled to one cent of help from the government. How do you expect them to live?

This is not the UK!
CM I do not have an answer to the plight of these people I am not unsympathetic to it, however I do not assume that just because something is in the press it is correct. I refer back to my previous I do not know myself the full or true circumstances. I do though know that although you can sympathise or even possibly depending on your circumstances empathise with their plight you can not condone breaking the law to get what you want be it criminal or civil. To this end I agree with Nigeljay post on this. Point is on the face of it this seems to be people making use of property not fit for habitation? but the property has an owner that wants them out. If this is allowed what next could be peoples holiday homes that are left empty for a couple of months, could be an occupied house empty over the weekend that is why the laws are there. By the way I come from a very poor background up until I was 18 when I joined up but I didn't break the law. Also why do you assume there are no homeless people in the UK I have dealt with plenty in my life, there is even a charity for homeless servicemen who having served their country live on the streets. We obviously differ on our view for me although I can sympathise and in some instances empathise with those that break the law they have still broke the law and have to be dealt with for the sake of the well being of society. How that is done is another matter.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
Of course most people don't get what they deserve. It is like the increased vague and often misguided use of the words entitlement and freedom. The latest one in the UK is the freedom to have a family life. When did that automatically become the natural order of things. How long before owning a car and a TV become human rights. The whole human rights lobby and the European Court is degrading it's own cause.
So while I would like to see society ensure that all its citizens receive shelter let's not talk of deserving, entitlement or freedom. It is society or charity that should provide not people feeling that they have an inalienable right to it. Therein lies problems.
it seems to be the status quo in the UK,
you need a car to travel for a job interview, a few years ago immigrants were given a grant towards the cost of a car to enable them to attend interviews and travel to the subsequent job they will have obtained
and you need a tv to look at all the jobs available on teletext, also to pickup on the news about companies who have received new contracts and are/may be hiring
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

This is not the UK!
so what is your solution ?
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
it seems to be the status quo in the UK,
you need a car to travel for a job interview, a few years ago immigrants were given a grant towards the cost of a car to enable them to attend interviews and travel to the subsequent job they will have obtained
and you need a tv to look at all the jobs available on teletext, also to pickup on the news about companies who have received new contracts and are/may be hiring
So those looking for work can get a free TV to look for jobs using teletext!

Back on track, if the owner of the properties illegally occupied wants the squatters (regardless of ethic origin) out then out they go. As Spain don't give housing benefit its not the property owners problem where or how the occupiers go and live.

Looking forward to Cman's solution, perhaps it could be a social model adopted by other nations too.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So those looking for work can get a free TV to look for jobs using teletext!

Back on track, if the owner of the properties illegally occupied wants the squatters (regardless of ethic origin) out then out they go. As Spain don't give housing benefit its not the property owners problem where or how the occupiers go and live.

Looking forward to Cman's solution, perhaps it could be a social model adopted by other nations too.
who said that ? - I know I didnt, although it would appear to be a human right to have a TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.