Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you in Andalucia?

Are you in Andalucia?

Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough
Default Are you in Andalucia?

For those of you who are, I would love to know where abouts you live, what you consider the good points and the bad points of that area, what work is like around there, what recreation there is (apart from bars!), scenery, facilities, shops, everything really, how near you are to the nearest supermarket and shops, etc.

I have never ever been that way but am considering it so would love to hear from you. Thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you in Andalucia?

As I am sure you realise Andalucia is such a large area, which bit are you interested in?

pwwm
living in Albunol, Granada, Andalucia.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Like I said in my post, I haven´t been that way at all. That is why I wanted to hear from people all over with their views on that area, good and bad points, so that when I go and do a recce I can target those areas which appeal...
Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Come on you guys in the Andalucia area....
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:58 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Danemad
Come on you guys in the Andalucia area....
Hi Danemad, Crispygirl here again, I live in Chiclana de la Frontera in the Provence of Cadiz. I have to be honest and say we did not look around any other area's as as soon as I looked at the map and see the name I knew that was where I wanted to live. So far have not been disappointed with the area or it's people but that is not to say that there are not problems here because there is. There are a lot of illegal builds many with no or electricity, myself well I have just been informed that there is to be road coming through my property sometime in the next 4 years, the powers to be here do have have the attitude that "well that's life get on with it, be thankful for what you have got". and do you know, sometimes I have to agree with them, yes what is going to happen to me is a blow but it could really happen anywhere in the world, even back in England people have their land purchased from them for roads, so what it means is if I don't like the place once it is smaller then sell it and move on because someone out there will want a smaller plot. Anyway this is a rather long winded way of say, Chiclana is a good place to live, we have the benefits of being coastal and yet with easy car ride of Jerez, Cadiz, Seville, Gib (if you want to go) and Portugal. There is a lot of growth in the area, that I know quite a few of us Brits are not keen on as we are seeing what we fell in love with disappear but it can benefit the local people at the end of the day because they will have a better infrastructure for there children.

I love it hear and am 80-90% happy somewhere else..
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:25 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danemad
For those of you who are, I would love to know where abouts you live, what you consider the good points and the bad points of that area, what work is like around there, what recreation there is (apart from bars!), scenery, facilities, shops, everything really, how near you are to the nearest supermarket and shops, etc.
I live right in the centre of Andalucia. It's hard to generalise becasue it's such a diverse place from E to W and N to S. I presently live in a town (approx 12000 inhabitants) so have most facilities on the doorstep: shops, supermarkets, outdoor pool, sports facilities...scenery not stunning but nice enough! Very few foreigners here, some Moroccans, Brits, Chinese, French, Danes. There is a "brit shop" but no "brit bar". Much work is seasonal - olive picking, mantecado factories Sept-Dec. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Steep, cobbled streets so not to everyone's taste. Communication links ok - close to A-92, buses but no train station. One hour to Malaga, Sevilla or Granada airports. Andaluz dialect can be a nightmare!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:50 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Alpujarras in the Sierra Nevada mountains, Granada Province.
It is still quite traditional, Spanish spoken, and although there are expats (mainly Brits and Germans), Spaniards are by far in the majority and the expats tend to be ones who want to integrate.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:00 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I live in the Alpujarras in the Sierra Nevada mountains, Granada Province.
It is still quite traditional, Spanish spoken, and although there are expats (mainly Brits and Germans), Spaniards are by far in the majority and the expats tend to be ones who want to integrate.
Hi Scampi - we have just got back from a weekend in the Sierra Nevada skiing. Had a fantastic time. Beautiful scenery. I´n not too sure where the Alpujarras are or how close they are to the ski resort, but if I ever manage to scrape enough money together I would love to get ourselves an apartment around there one day.

Keith
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:35 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, the Alpujarras are on the other side of the mountain range from the Ski resort, which is on the north side. The Alpujarras are on the south side, so we have the mountains at the back of us, more mountains at the front, and between them you can catch glimpses of the Med. To get to the north side we either have to go along to Lanjaron and then onto the Granada motorway, or through a pass called Peurto de la Ragua which comes out near Guadix.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:13 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

we are in the provence of almeria to which some people class as andalucia we have a cortio in a village of lamela if you look on a map it is near sorbas very prity locals are great all amenaties near by places to visit you have the caves at sorbas and the local pottery village not far terbanas miniu hollywood a wonderfull zoo large suppermarkets are in baza lamela is a very small village all span ish 10 english familys only its well worth a visit My parents are in huecal overa a large town all your large shops etc but not so ptity as lamele but does have a wonderfull hospital helenba