Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Yoigo roaming problems

Yoigo roaming problems

Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yoigo roaming problems

Does anyone know what network Yoigo uses in UK?

My phone will only connect to Vodafone but only for emergencies and it won-'t recieve calls or messages either.

I called Yoigo and they said they use a network, itseems to have a three in it but I hadn-t heard of it.

They said they can put in request for service, but they need a phone number, and of course, my phone isn-t working......

First thing I do on getting back to spain wll be change to anotehr network.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yoigo roaming problems

Originally Posted by rachelk
Does anyone know what network Yoigo uses in UK?

My phone will only connect to Vodafone but only for emergencies and it won-'t recieve calls or messages either.

I called Yoigo and they said they use a network, itseems to have a three in it but I hadn-t heard of it.

They said they can put in request for service, but they need a phone number, and of course, my phone isn-t working......

First thing I do on getting back to spain wll be change to anotehr network.
I understand that PAYG Yoigo phones cannot be used for roaming. I know of a few people who have had the same problem.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I understand that PAYG Yoigo phones cannot be used for roaming. I know of a few people who have had the same problem.
Hmm, whoever I spoke to this morning didn-t mention payg as a problem but then that doesn-t necessarily mean anything.....
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I think all companies switch the phones to no roaming so they don`t get ripped off, you have to askthem to allow it and they check if you are OK credit wise.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
I think all companies switch the phones to no roaming so they don`t get ripped off, you have to askthem to allow it and they check if you are OK credit wise.
Maybe, but this never happened to me before, Orange always switched automatically, no problems, also payg.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

FWIW

The network is apparently H3G, otherwise known as three, which seems to have no coverage in this area.

Three is supposed to switch to orange when there is no coverage, but it would seem that excludes roaming connections.

Beware!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
yes

I know someone who goes back to the UK often

her phone until recently has always automatically 'roamed'

now it seems she has to call them & ask for roaming for every trip

don't think it's with yoigo so maybe they are all doing it now

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 9th 2009 at 5:54 am.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

The email response from Yoigo is nothing like that - they simply say that I should have roaming and the only advice is to choose the correct network. This is the same as is stated on their website.

the telephone response was that they would make a request for roaming but they couldn-t tell me wehter it would take hours days or weeks.

ETA After explaing to Yoigo that I saw no option but to change operator, I-ve had a flurry of emails this afternoon. Unfortunately they can only apologise that H3G is the only network they have roaming with in the UK and while they-re working to improve the roaming service there is no roaming service where there is no H3G coverage.

Last edited by rachelk; Jul 9th 2009 at 4:45 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a new PAYG with Yoigo because of the cheap SMS but then it seemed for days I would have no coverage. I have ended up going back to Vodafone.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

My service in Spain has been fine, though usually shows as Movistar rather than Yoigo.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Im in France at the moment and seems to be working ok.....never got it to work in the UK...but Yoigo did give me a list of operators to use in all countries last week so better luck next week.....my problem is that a lot of my friends in the UK cant seem to send text to it??....no idea why...
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Im in France at the moment and seems to be working ok.....never got it to work in the UK...but Yoigo did give me a list of operators to use in all countries last week so better luck next week.....my problem is that a lot of my friends in the UK cant seem to send text to it??....no idea why...
There appears to be a problem when sending text messages from O2 to Yoigo, when the Yoigo handset is in Spain and the O2 handset is either in the UK or in Spain. O2 numbers will always receive text messages from Yoigo numbers, but not the other way around. Also, you will get charged for the text message, irrespective of the non-delivery.

Other UK networks (such as Orange) appear to be ok, but then, I haven't been able to check them all.

It is strange that O2 has this problem, since it's nearly 70% owned by Telefonica. Perhaps Telefonica are just making life difficult for Yoigo, wherever they can.

Many people have raised the text message issue with Yoigo without success, to-date.

Yes, native "3" (Hutchinson 3G, or H3G) GSM coverage appears to be pretty sparse in the UK (although I haven't tested with a 3G capable (UMTS) handset and perhaps a 3G handset would show a different picture). Yoigo need to get some more agreements in place, quickly. France and Italy appear to have better coverage, but this is subjective.

"3" Coverage in the UK can be checked here: http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage It looks like they are in the process of upgrading their network and are saying that their coverage, in and around London, will be much improved by summer 2010. See http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/...gional_upgrade. Elsewhere, the coverage looks like it's more than a tad spotty, with lots of "need to try outdoor" holes in it.

Finally, it does seem that you need to phone Yoigo on 622 each time you go to the UK, prior to making the trip, to make sure that there is no restriction on roaming for your SIM.

Yoigo (Spanish) FAQ on Roaming with links to countries, etc. : http://www.yoigo.com/preguntas/me_vo...extranjero.php

Last edited by Unexpat; Nov 24th 2009 at 10:15 am.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I bought a new PAYG with Yoigo because of the cheap SMS but then it seemed for days I would have no coverage. I have ended up going back to Vodafone.
That's kind of odd, since I was under the impression that Yoigo used Vodafone and Movistar for GSM coverage and Movistar and it's own network for 3G coverage, under current OMV agreements, but then I'm not sure what the situation was six months ago.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to add to my earlier reply about O2 to Yoigo text messages not being delivered, it seems that there are multiple quotes on the Internet saying that O2 have told them that they can only guarantee SMS delivery to their roaming partners, which would exclude Yoigo and H3H.

They don't out-and-out say that texts don't get delivered to non-roaming partners, but I now believe that this is exactly what is happening.

That's a pretty shoddy state of affairs (especially considering that other networks do deliver SMS text messages between themselves even without roaming partnership agreements, not to mention Yoigo to O2 also working), but unfortunately unless enough O2 customers complain directly to O2 (since they are the ones charging for, but not delivering a service), then I doubt that anything will get done about it.

Although there may be some angle with OFTEL/OFCOM ...
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have just given up with them now and gone back to Vodafone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.