Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you move to Spain now?

Would you move to Spain now?

Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you move to Spain now?

Originally Posted by pjj
hi everyone , ive notice a few of you have mention almunecar on here, just wondering have any of you visited LA HERRADURA its the next village next door between maro and almunecar , i have a place there its a pretty little village , which becomes a great water sports place in the summer theres some really nice restaurants situated on the beach theres also a really smart marina called marina del este having looked at quite a few areas this topped them all it houses about 5000spainish and about 200 expats and if you want a change in night life nerja or almunecar are 10 minute drive away so you are not to far away from the party scene
Yes, been to Herradura several times, all around that area. I'm going to sound negative here, sorry, but I don't see the attraction that a lot do. It's a pleasant enough place, but somehow it doesn't have me wanting to rush back there. The "beach" is really just a series of large pebbles, difficult to walk on, but the sea always seems a nice clear colour there, good for snorkelling, underwater stuff etc. Also some nice chiringuitos along the beach. I can understand you owning there, it's a nice relaxed place, there's a guy in another forum that lives there, and he loves it. It's a pleasant beachside town, but not my favourite. And I expect now all that coastal traffic is bypassing you, that must be great. Marina del Este? Impressive in a rich sort of way, but it always seems near deserted down on the harbour when we have been there. We don't go in high summer perhaps it's buzzing then. In contrast, back up the hill, the building work there seems never ending, is it all finally finished yet? The last couple of times we have been there, it's been manic, loads of building work going on. Is it a new hotel there now?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val001
Would you like to expand on this comment a bit. I have been talking to a brit who has lived in Albuñol for 6 years very happily. I'm not saying I won't find things wrong with Spain but the UK has gone to the dogs IMO.
Don't know about that comment, but I'd put in a brief word for Torremolinos, which I visit sometimes twice weekly quite a lot of the year because the (mainly) Spanish folk running the chiringuitos we use are pleasant and it's only really in the peak of summer the place has that many more Brits.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:21 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val001
Would you like to expand on this comment a bit. I have been talking to a brit who has lived in Albuñol for 6 years very happily. I'm not saying I won't find things wrong with Spain but the UK has gone to the dogs IMO.
Yes, I don´t mind expanding at all. Of course you´re all excited, and I don´t blame you. Any new venture is wonderful. However, living here is very different to what you can imagine. and Spain, sometimes, is not the Utopia you might assume it is. We´ve lived here very happily but know lots of people who haven´t and they have found out the hard way. What´s good for one is not necessarily good for another. All I´m trying to say, and I probably didn´t say it well in my first post, is keep a level head, it´s not all good.

Best wishes for your move.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjh
Yes, I don´t mind expanding at all. Of course you´re all excited, and I don´t blame you. Any new venture is wonderful. However, living here is very different to what you can imagine. and Spain, sometimes, is not the Utopia you might assume it is. We´ve lived here very happily but know lots of people who haven´t and they have found out the hard way. What´s good for one is not necessarily good for another. All I´m trying to say, and I probably didn´t say it well in my first post, is keep a level head, it´s not all good.

Best wishes for your move.
Thanks for that and I do know what you mean. I should perhaps add that I have lived abroad in the past although not in Spain and I do realise that having a holiday is not the same as living there. There will be problems I'm sure but I also think we'll get round them. Believe me living 2 years in India does not come free of problems.

In addition we are extremely fortunate to be buying through a lovely estate agent who is English working for a Spanish agency and totally bilingual. In fact her office is know as the local "drop in centre". If anyone gets something official through the post that they don't understand she translates and makes any necessary phone calls all for no charge. A lovely lady well loved by all.

Thanks for your wishes and we hope to get a completion date soon.

Val
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fionamw
For goodness sake. Any parent who doesn't consider/care about the prospect of their child being abducted isn't up to much. Doesn't make most part of most countries intrinsically unsafe. Yes any child COULD be kidnapped/fall prey to paedophiles/other nasty stuff however I feel, and am prepared to take the calculated risk, that where we live he's far freer to roam with greater safety than where we lived in the UK.
Fiona, an absconder is not the same as an abducted child.

A massive part of the Missing Person statistics are made up from teenagers who live in care homes. They have curfews and if the teenager breaks the curfew the foster carer is duty bound to call the police and report them "missing". If they don't they are not fulfulling their responsibilities as a foster carer.

So, when the clock strikes 10 and the curfew is broken the police are contacted and that teenager becomes a statistic. At 11.30 the same evening the teenager rolls in through the door having finished hanging out with their mates like nothing has happened. They will do the same the next night, and the next, and the next. So just one teenager can be responsible for 6 or 7 Missing Person reports in just one week.

My point was that the statistics are misleading due to the way they are recorded. The vast majority of people recorded as Missing Persons never really were missing at all.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:57 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

My point is not that the UK is better.

I'm merely pointing out that there are many similarities.

Last edited by chulo; Jan 14th 2010 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

Be careful when you go shopping in Asda.
Maybe something else for you and ago to google. lol
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Fiona, an absconder is not the same as an abducted child.<snip>
My point was that the statistics are misleading due to the way they are recorded. The vast majority of people recorded as Missing Persons never really were missing at all.
Humble apologies - didn't notice I'd left your quote in place; I was referring to whoever suddenly brought abductions into the mix. I understood your explanation the first time, c*ck up on my part posting.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, been to Herradura several times, all around that area. I'm going to sound negative here, sorry, but I don't see the attraction that a lot do. It's a pleasant enough place, but somehow it doesn't have me wanting to rush back there. The "beach" is really just a series of large pebbles, difficult to walk on, but the sea always seems a nice clear colour there, good for snorkelling, underwater stuff etc. Also some nice chiringuitos along the beach. I can understand you owning there, it's a nice relaxed place, there's a guy in another forum that lives there, and he loves it. It's a pleasant beachside town, but not my favourite. And I expect now all that coastal traffic is bypassing you, that must be great. Marina del Este? Impressive in a rich sort of way, but it always seems near deserted down on the harbour when we have been there. We don't go in high summer perhaps it's buzzing then. In contrast, back up the hill, the building work there seems never ending, is it all finally finished yet? The last couple of times we have been there, it's been manic, loads of building work going on. Is it a new hotel there now?
So what do you expect/want to find on the Spanish coast?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:41 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

Why not point it out chuloogle, do you have any other pointless statistics about a country you have no intentions of living in while you are in one of your troll moods?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:49 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

In my opinion, YES.

I think a comment from some friends yesterday sums it up - they said if it wasn't for the sun and their social circle they wouldn't live here due to them being fed up with the corruption and how getting anything done is a major hassle to be overcome.

Yet they are here because you can have a wonderful lifestyle if you put up with the definite downsides. I would always advise anyone to move here and position yourself in a way that you could get out with ease if it didn't work out or you got disillusioned i.e. most importantly rent don't buy and don't invest your life savings in a do or die business here.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our problem with the renting thing was we have 2 dogs and so need a house with a garden and finding that owned by someone who would allow pets and in the right area which is not a touristy one would have been near impossible. Bad enough finding the right place to buy within our budget. I guess everyones circumstances are different and if it had been just the two of us and we could have rented an apartment or townhouse somewhere we might have done that. I'm sure we will be fine though. Onwards and upwards. Do agree with the work/business thing though. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all if we had to find a job out in Spain.

Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:32 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

So you risked it for the sake of your dogs, that is dedication.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:42 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkitekt
For the past six months or so we have been investigating the options of retiring to Spain, possibly in the Malaga region. Our house in the UK is about to go on the market and we intended to spend some time at the end of this month house hunting in Spain. We have also been doing a lot of research on line, property prices, problems etc.

One of the things that really is worrying me now is that we keep hearing more and more stories of demolition and how houses which had previously been declared legal by local councils are now falling foul of regional government.

In the present climate (no pun intended) would you honestly move to Spain at this point in time?
No, with all this land grabbing will you ever know where you stand. Maybe rent there for a while but hold onto your hard earned wealth. I think there are a lot of jealous people in Spain, and when the Brits come and build their big houses in their small villages, they start plotting over the paella

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.