Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you move to Spain now?

Would you move to Spain now?

Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:03 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you move to Spain now?

Mmm..would I move to Spain now?

No Way..

Not saying that I regret coming 2 years ago but I would not move to Spain as it is now today.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:04 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
I can only talk about where im living in Spain and my experiences. I live just outside Benidorm and work in Benidorm so really I work in the tourist trade part of Spain. Ive met so many friends and people here who have simply returned back to the UK. Some of them who have been here a while. Ive been here for 12 years and Im finally moving back home in the Spring.
People who are on holiday or havent been living here for long will question my move. All I get it 'why do you want to move back there for'?
Its a pity that they only see this through holiday eyes and if they lived here as long as I did then they will realise the weather is the only big thing going for the place. My Wages in the time ive been here have never gone up but shopping,rent and petrol has, dramatically. Im 37 now and this is as far as im ever going to go. Incidentally people who have returned have found jobs. One couple who were in their 50s went home 3 months ago and both are back in full time employment.

I guess its what you make of it. Maybe if you dont have too many money worries and you dont need to rely on work too much then Spain is fantastic but other than that I would go to another Country,maybe an english speaking one as this will be comforting not having to learn the langauge to get by. The wages are poor here and generally dont get anywhere near the uk's minimum wage.
Having said that I have had many happy times here. Your call but you need to plan and be realistic.
You have it spot on
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
You have it spot on
I read Li's comment, re-read Spainboy's & thought well hang on is it just the weather? It's certainly an appealing factor. However is that all? Much of what's in that post is indeed spot on but our decision to move me & 7yo here with OH plying to & fro was largely for 7yo... so no, the weather's not the only thing. For kids - and to avoid generalisations I'd have to say kids around here, living in the campo with relatively careful parents, transport & a keen eye on education - for kids it offers a way of life, an enjoyable sort of freedom that I enjoyed as a youngster but I was no longer able to offer to my son in the UK because of traffic, loss of social community, etc etc. Here I can let him roam within a (let's say) 500m radius with only an occasional yell up the hill to check he's not causing mayhem at a neighbour's, or more likely ignoring my calls to come home for supper. You could say the laid back pace/way of life also factors in for adults, but not everyone gets used to that! So I'd say Spainboy has it very nearly right except what the country(side) offers kids.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:17 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val001
I think that when I say "real Spain" I mean I don't want to live in Torremolinos for example surrounded by drunken Brits. Everywhere will have its visitors of course but its the type of people a place attracts that makes it a better place to live for us.

After being here for almoast 6 years I would say PLEASE take your rose tinted spectacles off.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
for kids it offers a way of life, an enjoyable sort of freedom that I enjoyed as a youngster but I was no longer able to offer to my son in the UK because of traffic, loss of social community, etc etc.
Yes, I can see that, but did you move from a built up area in UK. There are huge swathes of countryside in UK which could do all you say. I'm out with my camera all the time, and I see kids fishing, yachting, on the beaches, surfing, kite surfing (yes even in the winter, they all wear suits, of course) coasteering (you might have to look that one up!). Kids in the country, near the coast, lead quite a different life than their urban cousins. I imagine urban kids both in Spain and UK lead a similar existence.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, I can see that, but did you move from a built up area in UK. There are huge swathes of countryside in UK which could do all you say. I'm out with my camera all the time, and I see kids fishing, yachting, on the beaches, surfing, kite surfing (yes even in the winter, they all wear suits, of course) coasteering (you might have to look that one up!). Kids in the country, near the coast, lead quite a different life than their urban cousins. I imagine urban kids both in Spain and UK lead a similar existence.
Sorry, wrong person.... I lived in Kent, Somerset, London (briefly, working years), Somerset, Suffolk (almost as coastally as you could get) & Gloucestershire. And incidentally never, apart from as a baby/toddler or in London, anywhere with an immediate population greater than a couple of hundred.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:52 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm not a huge fan of Almuñecar, but friends of ours have a village house in Ótivar (plus an apartment in Almuñecar) so we often meet them there. Now Ótivar really is quite the "real Spain" not sure if there are any other Brits there, as all their friends are Spanish. Only about 20 minutes off the coast but very different. As she says "I love this village, dog s--t and all". And there's lots of that, it seems to be everywhere! Spanish friends of ours think it's an awful place, they can't understand why they moved there, but each to their own.
hi everyone , ive notice a few of you have mention almunecar on here, just wondering have any of you visited LA HERRADURA its the next village next door between maro and almunecar , i have a place there its a pretty little village , which becomes a great water sports place in the summer theres some really nice restaurants situated on the beach theres also a really smart marina called marina del este having looked at quite a few areas this topped them all it houses about 5000spainish and about 200 expats and if you want a change in night life nerja or almunecar are 10 minute drive away so you are not to far away from the party scene
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:38 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fionamw
I read Li's comment, re-read Spainboy's & thought well hang on is it just the weather? It's certainly an appealing factor. However is that all? Much of what's in that post is indeed spot on but our decision to move me & 7yo here with OH plying to & fro was largely for 7yo... so no, the weather's not the only thing. For kids - and to avoid generalisations I'd have to say kids around here, living in the campo with relatively careful parents, transport & a keen eye on education - for kids it offers a way of life, an enjoyable sort of freedom that I enjoyed as a youngster but I was no longer able to offer to my son in the UK because of traffic, loss of social community, etc etc. Here I can let him roam within a (let's say) 500m radius with only an occasional yell up the hill to check he's not causing mayhem at a neighbour's, or more likely ignoring my calls to come home for supper. You could say the laid back pace/way of life also factors in for adults, but not everyone gets used to that! So I'd say Spainboy has it very nearly right except what the country(side) offers kids.
This is a great life for a 7 year old....

My only thought on this is that when kids in the campo become teenagers..will they love being out in the campo then?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by manamama
This is a great life for a 7 year old....

My only thought on this is that when kids in the campo become teenagers..will they love being out in the campo then?
From experience with teenagers in my previous existence in the UK, I'd say to some extent that depends on the teenager but a rule of thumb would be they'd love it no more and no less than they may love being in the campo in the UK - and my two in the UK certainly now recognise (albeit with hindsight) that countryside living gave them a lot that they now don't have in town.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:54 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Can I mention the child abductions that happen in Spain or will it get closed (the last one did) as some members feel it better to ignore the subject, slagg off the UK and live in a bubble of bliss.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Can I mention the child abductions that happen in Spain or will it get closed (the last one did) as some members feel it better to ignore the subject, slagg off the UK and live in a bubble of bliss.
Sure, find me this stat. Out of the 10 million or so children in Spain, how many get abducted in any one year?

You and agoreira are quite pathetic. I can only presume that you have deeply unhappy lives in the UK so come on to forums such as this to try and bring people here down to your level
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:17 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I would suggest you spend just as much time as we do.

The Spanish have a website for them here,

http://es.missingkids.com/missingkid...Country=es_ES&

The news reports there are currently 200 missing children in Spain.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_14665.shtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...in.paulhamilos

The number of 200 is the number of open cases currently to be found in the archives of the National Police, Civil Guard, and the regional police forces La Ertzaintza and Los Mossos. When adults are included there are currently 11,936 people reported missing.
Each year some 8,000 disappearances are reported to the police but most of these turn out to be temporary cases, often of children running away.

Last edited by chulo; Jan 14th 2010 at 8:20 am.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chulo
I would suggest you spend just as much time as we do.

The Spanish have a website for them here,

http://es.missingkids.com/missingkid...Country=es_ES&

The news reports there are currently 200 missing children in Spain.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_14665.shtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...in.paulhamilos

The number of 200 is the number of open cases currently to be found in the archives of the National Police, Civil Guard, and the regional police forces La Ertzaintza and Los Mossos. When adults are included there are currently 11,936 people reported missing.
Each year some 8,000 disappearances are reported to the police but most of these turn out to be temporary cases, often of children running away.
I'll wager that the "runaways" account for over 99% of these statistics, just like in the UK.

I wish they would make a distinction when recording "missing people" whether they are genuinly "missing" or if they are just absonders and runaways. It's hardly the same thing, is it?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Veleta
I'll wager that the "runaways" account for over 99% of these statistics, just like in the UK.

I wish they would make a distinction when recording "missing people" whether they are genuinly "missing" or if they are just absonders and runaways. It's hardly the same thing, is it?
For goodness sake. Any parent who doesn't consider/care about the prospect of their child being abducted isn't up to much. Doesn't make most part of most countries intrinsically unsafe. Yes any child COULD be kidnapped/fall prey to paedophiles/other nasty stuff however I feel, and am prepared to take the calculated risk, that where we live he's far freer to roam with greater safety than where we lived in the UK.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjh
After being here for almoast 6 years I would say PLEASE take your rose tinted spectacles off.
Would you like to expand on this comment a bit. I have been talking to a brit who has lived in Albuñol for 6 years very happily. I'm not saying I won't find things wrong with Spain but the UK has gone to the dogs IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.