Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

would you have moved

would you have moved

Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: would you have moved

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I know im not in same catorgory as i dont own a house or live in Spain - but i can tell you that if i was in the position to do it i would have no qualms of buying there now
On what basis
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:20 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
On what basis
Just coz i want to
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:44 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We had already decided to move to Spain before I discovered this site. I have made many friends through the site and met some of them and have received a lot of very good advice. However, nothing said on the site influenced our decision though it has helped being a member on here and it has been good to be able to 'sound off' on here when things went wrong.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:30 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Been here just over 3 months and although we got some invaluable help and advice on here, it wasn't the forum that decided for us, that was entirely on us I think the biggest help with BE forum is the things you pick up on that you would just not otherwise think about which helps prepare you (been waiting over 3 weeks for a mattress from Bufalo which is par for course I think)
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think anyone would use a forum as their total basis for moving or not moving to. Spain. Its just one of many tools and avenues of enquiry.

Certainly it was invaluable when I was researching and planning, but the main research for me was done by coming here on various visits.

I think to sum up, its the nuts and bolts that you can find here. No disrespect intended, but my requirements and "dreams" would have been different to everyone elses at that time. So I could listen to what they were saying and take it into consideration, but the decision at the end of the day would have been based more on what I researched rather than other peoples practical experiences here.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont think anyone would use a forum as their total basis for moving or not moving to. Spain. Its just one of many tools and avenues of enquiry.

Certainly it was invaluable when I was researching and planning, but the main research for me was done by coming here on various visits.

I think to sum up, its the nuts and bolts that you can find here. No disrespect intended, but my requirements and "dreams" would have been different to everyone elses at that time. So I could listen to what they were saying and take it into consideration, but the decision at the end of the day would have been based more on what I researched rather than other peoples practical experiences here.
I agree with that and having arrived before forums were invented, couldn't use them anyway.

However, if forums had been around at that time, I could possibly have avoided a Gipsy quarter in Villajoyosa, and a house on the edge of the sea in Estepona, which actually slipped into the sea, during my stay; and being cheated at some stage by various 'tradesmen' of all nationalities.

I wouldn't accept forum advice per se, but if a number of seemingly sensible contributors all make the same point, then there's usually some truth in what they're saying. And then, of course, there are forums, and forums, and they're all commercial enterprises, they have to be.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
And then, of course, there are forums, and forums, and they're all commercial enterprises, they have to be.
But having said that, the forums are made up of members not connected with the commercial entity so that shouldnt really effect it
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don´t think I would have. It would have scared me off completely reading about the illegal homes and probs with electricity in Chiclana. We spent the first year here in utter stress worrying about our "illegal electricity". I think if I had been forwarned I would have looked elsewhere.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:04 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
No, I don´t think I would have. It would have scared me off completely reading about the illegal homes and probs with electricity in Chiclana. We spent the first year here in utter stress worrying about our "illegal electricity". I think if I had been forwarned I would have looked elsewhere.
Ahh for sure thats what a forum can be invaluable for and is of extreme importance.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baz259
Hi, a question to all the people who use this site and live in Spain or own property here. Would you have moved or bought property here if you had listened to the advice given on this site, com on now be honest. I am not talking about the present crisis of the last twelve months
Barry
I may have listened to advice but I would certainly have made up my own mind. We are all different, someone's idea of heaven might not be mine
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:45 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of the advice given on here is correct. I can't think of any misinformation examples. People should look on forums as a starting off point for further research. Bet the couple who ignored all the advice on here and bought a bar wish they had taken our advice
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:03 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think most of the advice given on here is correct. I can't think of any misinformation examples. People should look on forums as a starting off point for further research. Bet the couple who ignored all the advice on here and bought a bar wish they had taken our advice
Yep, I even went and looked at the bar for them.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Originally Posted by jdr
Yep, I even went and looked at the bar for them.
Lol, They couldn't even be bothered to reply to the threads could they!!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Lol, They couldn't even be bothered to reply to the threads could they!!
Just do a search for MichaelandDawn there are 5 or 6 threads about the bar.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:11 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

The trick is to sort thru all sources of data and evaluate them carefully, remembering to question most savagely that which you most want to be true.

As for advice, my experience has always been that it is a very rare bird that really wants and seeks advice. The VAST majority just want to be told that what they are doing is just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.