Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Southern Spain..

Working in Southern Spain..

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

World Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really nice
Default Working in Southern Spain..

Hi guys i am quite new to this site so i am sure the question i am asking has already been answered and if it has please redirect me..

I have worked most of my life but not as a skilled worker so i was wondering how difficult it is to get a job in Southern Spain.

I have been looking into going to the US but it seems quite difficult and with my brother moving to the south of Spain i thought i would look into the idea of working there mainly cos i am fed up with the weather and i am about to sell my house.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Southern Spain..

Hello, and welcome to the forum

It's always good to speak to a fellow Red!

Do you speak any Spanish?
Depending on which area you are looking to move to, Spanish is likely to be imperative if you want to look for work.
The south of Spain covers a pretty huge area; are you able to be a bit more specific about which areas you might be interested in moving to? That would enable people who live in those areas, to give you a better idea about your question.

I'm in the south west, which is a very rural farming community, where jobs are few and far between

Good luck with your search, and well done on selling your house

All the best to you,
Sam(antha)
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

World Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really nice

Hey,

another Liverpool fan on the site thats great!!

Looks like another frustrating year for the Reds..

Not sure about the location in Spain as i will see how things work out at home and also see where my brother settles.

How did you end up in Spain and how have you found it?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again

There are quite a few Liverpool fans on BE, but not many in the Spain forum! If you look in The Locker Room (where sporting issues are discussed) you'll see there are quite a few of us Reds around
Yes, I think you're right that we're in for yet another frustrating season

We came here almost 2 years ago, having decided we wanted to experience a different lifestyle, in a warm climate.
We saw a TV programme about this area, and thought "That looks like our kind of place".
We visited 4 times in the year prior to moving, and haven't had a single regret. We love our life here!

Life in a rural village is generally quiet and peaceful (apart from fiestas and motorbikes! ) However, we are a very small community, with a largely elderly population - so that's probably why.

What kind of life are you looking for?
Two things that are always recommended on this forum are................ if you haven't started learning Spanish yet, do so!
When you arrive here, rent first - so that you can make sure you really like the area that you are in, before you commit to buying anything.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:07 am
Banned

bluesardine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi reds

Sorry Chelsea household here!

We are firm believers that if you are seeking work or setting up a new business, just be pro-active and hard working. We came to Spain with our 6 children Dec 06 and had 3K in our pockets. We have started a business and its doing ok and have started another, you just need to be pro-active, do your homework and trust whats feels right. I believe in Fate, Is that why i have 6 children! lol

Hope it helps pete
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:10 am
Banned

bluesardine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisca
Hello again

There are quite a few Liverpool fans on BE, but not many in the Spain forum! If you look in The Locker Room (where sporting issues are discussed) you'll see there are quite a few of us Reds around
Yes, I think you're right that we're in for yet another frustrating season

We came here almost 2 years ago, having decided we wanted to experience a different lifestyle, in a warm climate.
We saw a TV programme about this area, and thought "That looks like our kind of place".
We visited 4 times in the year prior to moving, and haven't had a single regret. We love our life here!

Life in a rural village is generally quiet and peaceful (apart from fiestas and motorbikes! ) However, we are a very small community, with a largely elderly population - so that's probably why.

What kind of life are you looking for?
Two things that are always recommended on this forum are................ if you haven't started learning Spanish yet, do so!
When you arrive here, rent first - so that you can make sure you really like the area that you are in, before you commit to buying anything.
Totally agree, we rented for 12 months, so glad we did. After living through the holiday season in a community we realised we wnated to live in the campo. We found our dream home 30 mins from coast.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bluesardine
Hi reds

Sorry Chelsea household here!

We are firm believers that if you are seeking work or setting up a new business, just be pro-active and hard working. We came to Spain with our 6 children Dec 06 and had 3K in our pockets. We have started a business and its doing ok and have started another, you just need to be pro-active, do your homework and trust whats feels right. I believe in Fate, Is that why i have 6 children! lol

Hope it helps pete
Hi Pete,

Don't worry, my O/H is a Chelsea fan

Firstly, welcome to the forum - and secondly, congrats on making such a go of your life here
I'm not sure if I would ever be brave enough to set up a business (including in the UK!) so all power to you for going for it here.

I also believe in Fate, and think that you have to take the opportunities that come your way. Life is too short to have regrets.

I notice you're up pretty early, but then with 6 kids I guess that's normal for you!
How are they enjoying their lives here? Do you find they have a lot more freedom in general, compared to life for kids in the UK?
We don't have any children, but I worked with them in the UK; and from what I've seen, Spanish children seem to have a far more carefree, liberated and outdoor life than children in the UK currently do.

You sound really happy and settled; that's good news

All the best,
Sam.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Blue is the colour!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Blue is the colour!

Football is the game.........................
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Football is the game.........................
sing along......

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you think I'm going to play that rubbish on my PC, you've got another thing coming!!???

Now I'm off to search the Internet for the match featuring the BEST team, who are about to kick off in 15 minutes.

Ta ra! xx
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

tallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nice

Blue is the colour!
I take it that it is not a good time to mention Spurs then :curse:
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:56 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

and sing to this too?