Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Gibraltar, living in Spain

Working in Gibraltar, living in Spain

Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:50 am
Just Joined

galford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in Gibraltar, living in Spain

Hi all,

I know that this combination have been discussed thousands time and I have read many, many posts, but would like to ask some simple questions.

1. Best neighborhood in La Linea or near to the border. We have 3 years daughter, so we would like to feel safe.

2. Taxes in Spain? If we claim for status "non-residential", it seems that first 5 years we will have fixed 25% taxes, is that correct?

3. Since we are from Romania, do we need to change our driving licenses with Spanish ones, during the first 6 months?

4. What types of tax allowances we could take? Is there any difference if we live in Gibraltar, compare to La Linea?

5. What is the situation with nursery in Gibraltar? I have read that they are free, if you are resident there, but could someone provide more information:
- which ones are the best?
- do the nursery accept sick children

There are so many questions, but i believe that these are a good start.

Thank you in advance for all answers and attention!
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Gibraltar, living in Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi galford

1) Personally there are no good areas in La Linea, try further out like Campamento or Santa Margarita

2) If you work in Gibraltar you will pay tax and social security in Gibraltar although you will also have to make a Spanish tax return.
https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/inc...-office#ancla2

3) Yes

4) See answer 2

5) I have no idea about the nurseries but what do you mean by sick children?

Best of luck.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

galford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond reputegalford has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Fredbargate for the answers.

Could you please tell me if I can claim for non-residential status in Spain?
I have read that as a foreigner I could claim for such status in the first 5 years and my taxes will be fixed up to 20%.
Is that correct?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galford
Sorry I have no idea

I am resident in Gibraltar not Spain
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galford
Thank you Fredbargate for the answers.

I have read that as a foreigner I could claim for such status in the first 5 years and my taxes will be fixed up to 20%.
Is that correct?
not something I've heard of, like Fred I am also resident in Gib but was resident in Spain some time back... I was taxed as a resident from day one of informing the authorities I was living there.

As far as I understand if you are working in Gibraltar you will pay tax there and also make a declaration in Spain who will charge you any difference between what you pay in Gib and what you would pay in Spain.

I'm not sure why Fred said you need to change your driving licence...as you do not need to change an EU licence.

One thing you may not think of which may be of help actually relates to your home country. The new rule on social security there means you are liable for the minimum payment if you do not inform them, then prove to them that you pay taxes in another country, make sure you get that organised before leaving Romania.

mult noroc!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

The main question here is:
Is the Beckam's law applicable for my situation or not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beckham_law

According to this article, probably will do the job:
Taxation in Spain | Finance | Tax | Expatica Spain

So in this case my tax in Spain will be equal to my tax in Gib, so all my troubles are magically solved.

What do you think, guys?
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you are working in Gib then the following is not applicable, from your Wikipedia link

Employment duties must be carried out in Spain, although working outside of Spain up to 15% of the time is permitted.

The employer must either be a Spanish company or Spanish entity, or if not Spanish resident then the employer must operate through a permanent establishment in Spain.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

So, I have arrived in Gib, and living in Spain for now, since I really liked Sotogrande and the area.
Now I am on the next phase - how to reach GIB on regular basis.
Could somebody explain me if I have to replace my driving license?
Can I buy a moped without changing my driving license?
Can I drive a moped in range 50 - 125cc with AM category in Spain?

PS. I am still unable to calculate my taxes in Spain, but once I got my first payslip, everything will become clear ( I hope)>
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

JulesD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, did you manage to get everything resolved?
We are at the very start of a similar journey and I feel a little overwhelmed by everything we need to consider, but most importantly the school aspect.
I would really appreciate any experience you can offer.

thanks
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Hi JulesD,
Would you please let me know what exactly you would like to know,
since there are lots of small details, which suddenly become very important.

For example schools:
There are lots of nurseries ( my child is under 3 years).
Since she doesn't speak English or Spanish, we decided to put her in Spanish one, because it will be easy for her to deal only with one language.
English she will learn any way soon or later.
We have visited several bi-lingual nurseries and didn't like them ( if you wish I can give more details in private) mostly by the following reasons:
1. There is no enough space for child, they don't go outside for more than an 1 hour per day
2. There were several sick children ( with sneaky noses and severe coughing), but according to the nurseries rules, if they don't have fever, everything is ok.
3. The price is expensive compared to the quality that you are receiving.

So we decided to choose complete Spanish nursery, located in Manilva / Estepona -it is far from Gib, but we believe that our child deserves the best, we could find.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.