Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Gib - Living in Spain

Working in Gib - Living in Spain

Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in Gib - Living in Spain

I have just been on the Gib.gov website and it states that you are only covered for health care through your social security stamps if you work in Gib and are a resident. So if you live in Spain but work in Gib you pay social security but don´t get any benefit from it! Correct? Taxes are high too.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

crafty little devils is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in Gib - Living in Spain

Not sure if your still looking for an answer as post weeks old.

If you work in Gib (pay your tax etc) and live in Spain then yes you can use the doctors in Gib. Any dependents have to get health care in Spain.

Hubby has used the Gib health care and its ok.....just like the UK...lots of waiting.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crafty little devils
Not sure if your still looking for an answer as post weeks old.

If you work in Gib (pay your tax etc) and live in Spain then yes you can use the doctors in Gib. Any dependents have to get health care in Spain.

Hubby has used the Gib health care and its ok.....just like the UK...lots of waiting.
Still relevant thanks. But then do you have an European Health Card issued by the Gib government?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

My status is dependant so I only get a health card from Gib when we go on holiday.....show flight/holiday details and it will be issued for those dates.

Hubby works in Gib and I think he just has to renew his health card every 12 months.

If you have all the correct paper work it only takes a few days to get a card.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

My status is dependant so I only get a health card from Gib when we go on holiday.....show flight/holiday details and it will be issued for those dates.

Hubby works in Gib and I think he just has to renew his health card every 12 months.

If you have all the correct paper work it only takes a few days to get a card.
Do you both live in Gib or in Spain?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

We both live in Spain
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

qwerta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We both live in Spain
Out of interest, what's it like, living in Spain and working in Gib? How much is it to rent, say, a two bedroom apartment? And how long would it take to get to work everyday?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Just backing up what devils said, if you work in Gib and live in Spain then you can get a health card for Gib.
If your partner doesn't work in Gib though, he/she is not entitled.

Working in Gib and living in Spain is okay, prices are dependant on area. La Linea opposite Gib is very cheap, but a lot of problems and frequent muggings/attacks. I have been attacked once when the Fayre was on, some scruffy little Spanish pikey tried to grab my laptop but luckily he was on his own and I got the first hit in which put him to the floor. I've no doubt whatsoever though, if there was more than one I would have had it. Plenty of people I know have been less lucky than I, just the other day a colleague came in with a deep cut across his forehead where he had been set upon by a group for absolutely no reason. Police are aware, but little is being done.

Just a warning really, obviously other areas are better, but still you will end up parking in La Linea and walking to Gib because of the border queues and thats when the problems happen.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballin
Just backing up what devils said, if you work in Gib and live in Spain then you can get a health card for Gib.
If your partner doesn't work in Gib though, he/she is not entitled.

Working in Gib and living in Spain is okay, prices are dependant on area. La Linea opposite Gib is very cheap, but a lot of problems and frequent muggings/attacks. I have been attacked once when the Fayre was on, some scruffy little Spanish pikey tried to grab my laptop but luckily he was on his own and I got the first hit in which put him to the floor. I've no doubt whatsoever though, if there was more than one I would have had it. Plenty of people I know have been less lucky than I, just the other day a colleague came in with a deep cut across his forehead where he had been set upon by a group for absolutely no reason. Police are aware, but little is being done.

Just a warning really, obviously other areas are better, but still you will end up parking in La Linea and walking to Gib because of the border queues and thats when the problems happen.

Glad to hear you clonked the little s__treminds me of when a would be mugger tried to relive an army captain in the UK (in civilian clothes) of his wallet,you can guess the rest, I love to hear about scum getting their come uppance

Out on interest are you allowed to carry mace/pepper spray in Spain?

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Hi Rotor,

I very much doubt it, I would suspect it is classed as a firearm the same as in the UK.
I must admit it was nice to deck the guy, but I was actually more worried about getting in trouble for doing it than anything else....too used to the British life where the innocent always end up being guilty!

Rich