Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

work for brickies in spain

work for brickies in spain

Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

tetleys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work for brickies in spain

in short are there any british brickies on this forum working over here in spain...im looking.... to work with ex pats.... or anyway where are also the best areas to get work... and what are the rules on site as in health and safety...do i need
tax card
health and saftey certification
can I get a bank acct here in spain with just an address or what else do I need beasides her majetsies passport?
what can I expect to earn per hr or day ....
can I work for cash
all answers and tips much appreciated thanks
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work for brickies in spain

Originally Posted by tetleys
in short are there any british brickies on this forum working over here in spain...im looking.... to work with ex pats.... or anyway where are also the best areas to get work... and what are the rules on site as in health and safety...do i need
tax card
can I get a bank acct here in spain with just an address or what else do I need beasides her majetsies passport?
can I work for cash
There is no work for Spanish brickies let alone Brits.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:38 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

tax card
can I work for cash
Are you bonkers man? There is not even any bar work where i live.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

tax card
can I work for cash
In an attempt to be a little positive, I think it is best if you try and think of
a) an employment that the Spanish might find difficult to fulfil themselves
b) Something recession proof

I can only think of
a) Curry chef but generally the Spanish hate the stuff
b) Teacher of English in a government school.

Any others that I may have missed?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
In an attempt to be a little positive, I think it is best if you try and think of

I can only think of

Any others that I may have missed?
I recently had a chat with the Directora at my dd's state primary school about this

She told me that although the UK teaching degree is transferable, any prospective English Teacher would have to pass an exam in Castellano, and where I live, Valenciano too!

She feels this is a shame as she would offer me a job tomorrow - but I don't speak Valenciano
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Castellano, and where I live, Valenciano too!
I only said recession proof. Out of interest what exam was specified for Castellano? DELE? and if so what level?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=03630;7075795]In an attempt to be a little positive, I think it is best if you try and think of

I can only think of

Any others that I may have missed?[/QUOTE]

When ever driving I see an increasing number of young/not so young ladies offering services from the roadside. So...a wig, some make up and a shave should do the trick.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
I only said recession proof. Out of interest what exam was specified for Castellano? DELE? and if so what level?
I didn't ask though I assume DELE - I would imagine not beginners or basic or whatever they call it

mind you - the spanish teachers qualified to teach english aren't exactly fluent in english
Old Dec 17th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

tax card
can I work for cash
know a Spanish brickie who has been laid off 3 times this year so wouldnt hold out much hope sorry
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:44 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
There is no work for Spanish brickies let alone Brits.
I'm not currently in Madrid (and don't know how hard the recession is hitting there) but it was a standing joke there that no building workers were Spanish. Ecuadorian yes, Roumanian yes, North African yes. In fact I saw a documentary on the building of the 4 towers in Madrid - out of around 30 workers they interviewed, only 1 was a native Spanish guy. So there was plenty of building work at that time (2 years ago). However, the wages were not really brilliant, considering the high cost of living in the capital. Which probably explains why the Spanish didn't work in that industry. I fear there isn't even much low-paid work going there at the moment; maybe someone currently in Madrid can enlighten us?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to put the same post on six threads (that's how many are currently discussing various sides of the same subject) & see if anyone else agrees with me that one all encompassing thread along the lines of
Is everyone having trouble finding a job, why are you staying in Spain, going back to the UK, coming to Spain, changing your mind, and is there a place or business that's the best option for Brits over here? is what's needed? ...with a nod to Peter Kay, of course There are loads of people with loads of interesting comments about all aspects of this mega-subject, but to keep tabs you have to have the flitting nature of a damsel fly & there's no one obvious 'core' thread.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

But with a core thread the minor points go unread or are not made.
Do we really want to copy big business and centralise? Will we then suffer a thread crunch?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OK