Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To Wise experts

To Wise experts

Old Oct 5th 2023, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Wise experts

Hi, I've now some job interviews with Spanish companies, so - positive thinking - I hope can move there very quickly - lucky having EU passport-. Have just read through the Wise website, but not sure if I've understood everything and to be honest I haven't understood few things. Hope you don't mind asking?

- Transfers from Wise account to a non Wise account (both Euros) no fees right?

- No fees from Wise if I do online shopping in Euros (buyer and seller) right?

- Can I use the Wise account for direct debits, paying water bills, electricity and so on?

- Could my employer transfer my salary into the Wise account?

- Last one - I live at present in Germany (unfortunately don't like it), could I already open a Wise account from here and use it in Spain? Think I've read here it must have a Spanish IBAN or so?

Thank you in advance and sorry for so many questions, but I'm always uncertain with such things.

Christine

Old Oct 5th 2023, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Wise experts

Transfers from Wise account to a non Wise account (both Euros) no fees right? CORRECT

- No fees from Wise if I do online shopping in Euros (buyer and seller) right? I have their debit card but have not used it online

- Can I use the Wise account for direct debits, paying water bills, electricity and so on? With most companies yes, I understand there is the odd one who will not accept

- Could my employer transfer my salary into the Wise account? You will have to ask them, one of my pension companies does the other will not (yet)

I have been using Wise for years now and always found them excellent (no hidden scams) and their customer service is fast and helpful - and now they are paying interest for the monies held in Wise accounts
Old Oct 5th 2023, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Transfers from Wise account to a non Wise account (both Euros) no fees right? CORRECT

- No fees from Wise if I do online shopping in Euros (buyer and seller) right? I have their debit card but have not used it online

- Can I use the Wise account for direct debits, paying water bills, electricity and so on? With most companies yes, I understand there is the odd one who will not accept

- Could my employer transfer my salary into the Wise account? You will have to ask them, one of my pension companies does the other will not (yet)

I have been using Wise for years now and always found them excellent (no hidden scams) and their customer service is fast and helpful - and now they are paying interest for the monies held in Wise accounts
I agree with the above....

I have been using Wise for many years and made hundreds of transfers with no problems.

I have one pension company pay into my Wise UK account as they won't pay into a foreign account. Wise do an automated transfer 3 days later into my Spanish account. No fees.

Anyone can pay into your Wise account as you can have a variety of IBAN numbers.

I think you get a Belgium IBAN for the EU account and not a Spanish one.

Steve
Old Oct 5th 2023, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my EU account has a Belgian IBAN and the tax is paid in Belgium on the interest.
Old Oct 5th 2023, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Debit Card is excellent and well worth having , use it online no hassles and for shopping. Transfers often instantaneous and a good exchange rate . Just back from Buenos Aires trip and no issues there although a small conversion fee applied by them to ATM usage. Also they always use the "most favourable" exchange rate - I have sterling and Euro accounts and they swop automatically on any card transaction.
Old Oct 5th 2023, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Wise card with UK£ Euros and AU$ and it works fine.
HOWEVER I have noticed if I load UK£ to the account from my Uk bank via Wise there is a small charge.
But if i transfer from Nationwide to Wise there is no UK£ to UK£ charge.
They also charge the same fee when moving UK£ to Euros or AU$, no charges from the Euro balance to my Spanish Santander account though....
Last week I had to put the card in the machine because it would not allow me to just tap chip n pin, still worked but asked for the physical card in the machine (something Ive not done since moving here).

And with them paying interest on the Uk balance Ive started moving my pension a month in advance (took money from Uk savings, transfered to UK wise and when I move the next months over Im keeping a balance to earn interest. Its only pennies as my pension is only a small one but why not?)
Old Oct 5th 2023, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're so great thank you so much!!!!! I think now I've understood everything, because your explanations were really good and I'll open an account thanks to you,

Barriej > Very clever, but how much do you need to earn the interest.

Thanks to all and wishing you a very nice evening. Christine
Old Oct 5th 2023, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the main page it explains the interest account which is paying me about 4.5% at the moment.

Steve
Old Oct 6th 2023, 3:44 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TicTac111
You're so great thank you so much!!!!! I think now I've understood everything, because your explanations were really good and I'll open an account thanks to you,

Barriej > Very clever, but how much do you need to earn the interest.

Thanks to all and wishing you a very nice evening. Christine
Note that there is ...

1: an Interest account that you have to activate.

https://wise.com/gb/interest/

2: An automatic 'cashback' depending on balances here

https://wise.com/help/articles/b8sVS...-cashback-work

It was a nice surprise a while back when they started cashback, something I previously didn't expect. How good is that!

Note both are classified as 'interest' from a tax perspective. Since Euro accounts are held in Belgium they withhold 30% for the taxman and pay net. On both the above accounts. Whether you can claim that back, if your tax system allows it, depends on your individual circumstances.

In Belgium tax payers are allowed a certain amount of bank interest on 'normal daily' interest accounts tax free. Not term accounts which pay the withholding tax. But how its claimed back i haven't researched, perhaps with higher interest rates its more interesting to find out.

I think Wise is excellent and have no complaints, Im delighted to be with them. Its great for travelling and other things (like unexpected cash backs . )

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 6th 2023 at 3:46 am.
Old Oct 6th 2023, 6:51 am
Just Joined

britobar is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting post. I have another question now that we're talking about Wise.
If I fund my Wise account with GBP and want to send money to a Spanish bank account, is there any limit I can send without violating any tax law?

Cheers,
Hector
Old Oct 6th 2023, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Wise have just paid my interest - on €uro = 1.99% and on Pds = 3.12% - OK not top interest rates but given Sabadell and Lloyds pay nothing it is a nice little monthly bonus - I think I will make around 400€ a year for doing nothing and risk free.
Old Oct 6th 2023, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britobar
Very interesting post. I have another question now that we're talking about Wise.
If I fund my Wise account with GBP and want to send money to a Spanish bank account, is there any limit I can send without violating any tax law?

Cheers,
Hector
No, there is no transfer limit.

Steve
Old Oct 6th 2023, 7:20 am
Just Joined

britobar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tebo53
No, there is no transfer limit.

Steve
Not from Wise but would the Spanish government ask questions about it? i.e. they may want me to pay taxes on that.

Hector
Old Oct 6th 2023, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, I may inadvertently be confusing people - I should have used the word cashback and not interest - they pay cashback at the rates I quoted for the balances held in Wise accounts.

They offer an option to earn interest on a type of investment which I do not have or want at the moment:-

https://wise.com/gb/interest/
Old Oct 6th 2023, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britobar
Not from Wise but would the Spanish government ask questions about it? i.e. they may want me to pay taxes on that.

Hector
No questions were asked when I moved the money for the flat purchase. OK it was well below 100k but Wise automatically broke it up into smaller amounts without me asking.

​​​I like the ease of use as I have my occasional artwork sales and the junk I get rid of on Ebay, etsy etc sent to the account. Ebay in €., Etsy in £...

Can't get my pension paid to them as it has to go to a UK bank. So I setup a direct monthly payment from Nationwide to Wise and then I move it to my Spanish bank account as needed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.