Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will you be driving back to the UK?

Will you be driving back to the UK?

Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you be driving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Pippi Calzaslargas
Thank you all for the interest and the advice
I will shortly describe all the options (or lack of options), in case someone will have the same problem. The rules for pet travel to the UK changed at the beginning of the year. There is no quarantine anymore, as long as your pet has a passport, a chip and has the vaccination up to date. There is only an obligatory parasite treatment a couple days before entering the country. It should be easier then? Nah...
Eurostar, the only train going through the channel does not accept pets other than assistance dogs (convincing them that my chihuahua is such could be amusing but fruitless ).
Most ferries won't accept a pet unless we travel by car. If I had a car I wouldn't need a ferry, would I?
It is correct that DEFRA does not allow entry of any animal to the UK in the cabin of the plane. I am not entirely sure about registering my spoiled pooch as cargo I have checked the prices nonetheless and got frightened: the quote price for Thomson and Jet2 was around £500. For a dog the size of a rat (for inland Europe flights it's some €40).

Great thanks everyone, especially grahunt and searcher 48, I will definitely check out your suggestions!
There is a Stickied Thread in the Moving Back To The UK Forums about the new DEFRA regs...for those of you who don't read those forums.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:18 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I will shortly describe all the options (or lack of options), in case someone will have the same problem. The rules for pet travel to the UK changed at the beginning of the year. There is no quarantine anymore, as long as your pet has a passport, a chip and has the vaccination up to date. There is only an obligatory parasite treatment a couple days before entering the country. It should be easier then? Nah...
Eurostar, the only train going through the channel does not accept pets other than assistance dogs (convincing them that my chihuahua is such could be amusing but fruitless ).
Most ferries won't accept a pet unless we travel by car. If I had a car I wouldn't need a ferry, would I?
It is correct that DEFRA does not allow entry of any animal to the UK in the cabin of the plane. I am not entirely sure about registering my spoiled pooch as cargo I have checked the prices nonetheless and got frightened: the quote price for Thomson and Jet2 was around £500. For a dog the size of a rat (for inland Europe flights it's some €40).

Great thanks everyone, especially grahunt and searcher 48, I will definitely check out your suggestions!
Where did you hear this? Have the rules changed since 2009? We travelled through the tunnel by car on the train with 4 cats. Some others had dogs.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Where did you hear this? Have the rules changed since 2009? We travelled through the tunnel by car on the train with 4 cats. Some others had dogs.
she means for foot passengers I believe
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Eurostar is a train service for walkon passengers, registered assistance dogs only

Eurotunnel is a train service for those who drive their cars onto special carriages. there are no restrictions on pets, they charge £15/€23 per pet
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is also worth noting that you can't transport your pet on any airline or route. It must be an airline and route specified by DEFRA
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Driving to the UK last week we saw a van in a traffic jam going the other way that did Spain to UK pet transport. It could have been this company.

http://www.easypetuk.com/
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by derek500
Driving to the UK last week we saw a van in a traffic jam going the other way that did Spain to UK pet transport. It could have been this company.

http://www.easypetuk.com/
My sister used an animal transport company (don't know if it was that one) to get a rescue dog transported back to the UK from the Costa Del Sol.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:01 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Eurostar is a train service for walkon passengers, registered assistance dogs only

Eurotunnel is a train service for those who drive their cars onto special carriages. there are no restrictions on pets, they charge £15/€23 per pet
Thanks for that Domino, I was thinking they were one and the same