Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will you be driving back to the UK?

Will you be driving back to the UK?

Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Pippi Calzaslargas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will you be driving back to the UK?

I am desperately looking for someone going by car from anywhere in Spain to anywhere in the UK in the beginning of October. Or later. Any time really. My boyfriend is moving to Liverpool and so is our chihuahua We struggle to find a reasonable option to bring her along, as we have no car, train won't accept dogs and she could only fly in the cargo hold :/
If you are driving to the UK and have a spare seat and some space for a tiny chihuahua please let me know! My bf will share fuel costs with you, provide some good company for the trip and he can drive too, so you can get yourself a good long siesta And you would be a part in bringing a happy family together: me, my boyfriend and our dog would be eternally grateful!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you be driving back to the UK?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget to make sure paperwork is sorted for the dog, plus the frontline and drontal befre crossing nto UK, good luck on finding someone
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Dont forget to make sure paperwork is sorted for the dog, plus the frontline and drontal befre crossing nto UK, good luck on finding someone
Frontline not compulsory now, only Drontal or similar and valid Rabies jab.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Also the boyfriend needs a valid licence and the car needs to have the relevant insurance cover.

Where did you get the info re trains not taking dogs ? I know that Brittany Ferries did not allow foot passengers with a dog in the past don't know about current rules.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:46 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Also the boyfriend needs a valid licence and the car needs to have the relevant insurance cover.

Where did you get the info re trains not taking dogs ? I know that Brittany Ferries did not allow foot passengers with a dog in the past don't know about current rules.
renfe accepts dogs http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/info/animales.html
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Lynnxa I had read that some time ago but had to wonder what happened if I booked a trip say to Granada, booked hotel etc and got to train and some other passengers objected ?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:56 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Yes Lynnxa I had read that some time ago but had to wonder what happened if I booked a trip say to Granada, booked hotel etc and got to train and some other passengers objected ?
very good question

also, thinking about it - if you can't take a dog on the ferry as a foot passenger - can you take a dog on a train in France & through the chunnel?

I suspect not
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Frontline not compulsory now, only Drontal or similar and valid Rabies jab.
Thanks for that, thought it was, knew rabies jab is, but not a blood test. Ta
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

You could try Chris at http://t.co/P2WTBlp9 (Alstrays) He often drives back to the UK with cats and dogs.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine flew to the UK last year with her chihuahua in a cabin bag! I will ask her which airline it was.

EDIT - it was KLM, Alicante to Manchester. Lufthansa also allow pets in the cabin.

Last edited by Pocaloca; Sep 9th 2012 at 4:22 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:45 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
A friend of mine flew to the UK last year with her chihuahua in a cabin bag! I will ask her which airline it was.

EDIT - it was KLM, Alicante to Manchester. Lufthansa also allow pets in the cabin.
I think the weight limit varies with the airline, but I heard your dog can travel in the cabin if it's under 10kg & they allow one per flight.

Suzi
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

What area are you going from? There is a very active facebook group with loads of info for Costa Blanca area. I often see this subject discussed. Do a search for pet transport. sell your stuff
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

I didn't think pets were allowed in the cabin when travelling to the UK unless they were assistance dogs. It has nothing to do with the airline...it is DEFRA who makes the rules about transporting dogs to the UK.

Looking at the list of DEFRA approved airlines...only KLM Cargo are approved to transport pets to the UK.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Pippi Calzaslargas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the interest and the advice
I will shortly describe all the options (or lack of options), in case someone will have the same problem. The rules for pet travel to the UK changed at the beginning of the year. There is no quarantine anymore, as long as your pet has a passport, a chip and has the vaccination up to date. There is only an obligatory parasite treatment a couple days before entering the country. It should be easier then? Nah...
Eurostar, the only train going through the channel does not accept pets other than assistance dogs (convincing them that my chihuahua is such could be amusing but fruitless ).
Most ferries won't accept a pet unless we travel by car. If I had a car I wouldn't need a ferry, would I?
It is correct that DEFRA does not allow entry of any animal to the UK in the cabin of the plane. I am not entirely sure about registering my spoiled pooch as cargo I have checked the prices nonetheless and got frightened: the quote price for Thomson and Jet2 was around £500. For a dog the size of a rat (for inland Europe flights it's some €40).

Great thanks everyone, especially grahunt and searcher 48, I will definitely check out your suggestions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.