Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will it be like this for Brits visiting Spain post Brexit?

Will it be like this for Brits visiting Spain post Brexit?

Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it be like this for Brits visiting Spain post Brexit?

Originally Posted by OTA63
None of that is to say that the "vast majority" did not WANT to move in search of a better life whether it be from one EU country to another or from one US state to another.
There are a million and reasons why they may not have taken the plunge be it the uncertainty, separation from their families or anything else. The Freedom of Movement act just made it easier for those who were willing to take the plunge.
And not to mention the millions who study abroad in the EU. They might not stay but it opens more doors.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

None of that is to say that the "vast majority" did not WANT to move in search of a better life whether it be from one EU country to another or from one US state to another. ....
That also supports my point ..... they could have moved, but for whatever reason, they didn't. For the vast majority of people the right to move to another country is nothing more than a theoretical nicity.

In Europe I believe that the primary reason, and certainly a key factor for me, is a lack of fluency in foreign languages, and no confidence that I could ever achieve fluency.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 25th 2017 at 4:06 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That also supports my point ..... they could have moved, but for whatever reason, they didn't. For the vast majority of people the right to move to another country is nothing more than a theoretical nicity.

In Europe I believe that the primary reason, and certainly a key factor for me, is a lack of fluency in foreign languages, and no confidence that I could ever achieve fluency.
I'm sure you have home insurance, health insurance etc.. Even if you didn't need it yet, you still would moan if it wasn't available to you. So it's pretty good to have right?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm sure you have home insurance, health insurance etc.. Even if you didn't need it yet, you still would moan if it wasn't available to you. So it's pretty good to have right?
Well insurance is, but I don't care about FOM within the EU.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Pulaski, I think you are wrong. The FOM Act was and is important to many of the "vast majority". The fact that it exists means they were free to consider moving around. The fact that they did not move because of their individual circumstances does not that the FOM was unimportant to them. The existence of the FOM gave them the choice.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:14 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Pulaski, I think you are wrong. The FOM Act was and is important to many of the "vast majority". The fact that it exists means they were free to consider moving around. The fact that they did not move because of their individual circumstances does not that the FOM was unimportant to them. The existence of the FOM gave them the choice.

+ 1
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:35 pm

We are both speculating as to their thoughts and motives, but yours is pure speculation, whereas mine is supported by the indicative, though not conclusive, evidence that most people didn't actually move (to another country).

I think we are both also guilty of thinking that most people think like we do, and there we are probably both wrong!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:47 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yet AGAIN you have conflated "freedom of movement" with other matters that are unrelated. The EU chose to include "freedom of movement" with other trade-related freedoms, but there was no requirement to do so, and there is no reason, other than pure political bloody-mindedness, that freedom of movement couldn't be restricted or even eliminated without impacting the free trade aspects of the single market. "Friction free trade" has NOTHING to do with "freedom of movement" for individual, other than that the EU chose to combine them both in the same treaty, and the benefits that the "vast majority" are benefiting from are the derived from the benefits of free trade, not from freedom of movement.

So, back to the matter that you deliberately or ignorantly misrepresented, freedom of movement - this has very little benefit to the large, very large majority of EU citizens who have no interest in uprooting their lives and traveling hundreds of miles to a country with a different culture and a language that they have limited, or no, grasp of.

Certainly I, for one, had absolutely ZERO interest in moving to ANY country in Europe, and would happily vote against participation in any deal that gives unrestricted rights to live in the UK to any non-English speaking aliens with a different, sometimes radically so, culture.

Of course the grand plan of Germany had been that freedom of movement would allow German companies to suck in huge numbers of Greeks, Italians, and Spaniards when their economies tanked, as they inevitably would under the burdens imposed by the euro. However people from those countries appear to have very little interest in transplanting themselves to Germany even when their own country is in the toilet. So even when circumstances strongly suggest that people should take advantage of freedom of movement, very large numbers of people resist taking up their freedom of movement rights.

You obviously have your agenda, that you promote tirelessly, but I wish you would stop making up çräp to support your opinion.
You live in the USA. The very icon of freedom of movement. Imagine if you had border controls and customs at every state border. If someone from Virginia had to get a green card to work in Texas. The country would become the world's 30th largest economy in about two weeks. Or just cease to exist as any formidable politico-economic entity.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas
You live in the USA. The very icon of freedom of movement. Imagine if you had border controls and customs at every state border. If someone from Virginia had to get a green card to work in Texas. The country would become the world's 30th largest economy in about two weeks. Or just cease to exist as any formidable politico-economic entity.
But we all speak a common language here, more or less, and the last time I checked that wasn't true in the EU.

Maybe if the EU was serious about Freedom of Movement they should mandate a common language be taught, immersion-style, at school. Then, after about 50 years, the EU could have true freedom of movement!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:29 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

But we all speak a common language here, more or less, and the last time I checked that wasn't true in the EU.

Maybe if the EU was serious about Freedom of Movement they should mandate a common language be taught, immersion-style, at school. Then, after about 50 years, the EU could have true freedom of movement!
I think you put a bit too much emphasis on language !
And anyway, my British husband learned spoken Dutch in 2 weeks (intensive course with the nuns ) ...
Most countries do teach English as second language (or one can chose it) and many businesses operate in English.

We moved freely between 4 EU countries, 2 for work and 2 during retirement and 5th one on the way. FOM is more than just about work !

Not quiet sure why you, somewhere in Dixie, are so much against EU whilst not experiencing it ?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje
I think you put a bit too much emphasis on language !
And anyway, my British husband learned spoken Dutch in 2 weeks (intensive course with the nuns ) ....
Whoopie-doo for your husband! I have absolutely no confidence that I could grasp even a basic understanding of a foreign language even if my life depended on it. I tried two different languages at high school and found one difficult, and the other worse! My high school French teacher told my mother that me getting a bare-minimum passing grade in French at age 16 (GCSE), was a "bloody miracle".
Most countries do teach English as second language (or one can chose it) ....
And that, in a nutshell us the problem, from a British perspective - in practical terms, people all across Europe are prepped to relocate to the UK, and so many do.

But how on earth could I expect to find a job in Germany or Italy if I don't, and likely can't speak the language? .... People are frequently told on BE that you can't move to [insert name of any European country other than Ireland, Malta, and maybe Cyprus] and have much hope of finding work unless you speak the local language, even for the Netherlands where English is very widely spoken, and usually to a better (more grammatical) standard than many people in the UK!

I used to work for a Dutch company, but the idea of moving to the head office was just pie in the sky, even though all the Dutch colleagues I ever met spoke excellent English, I would have been required to interview in Dutch to get a job there.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 25th 2017 at 8:50 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:01 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Then what is your problem? If nobody speaks anyone else's language, then why is it a problem?

But what you're dimissing is that most Europeans speak at least two languages fluently. I know people who are fluent in 7. Most born/raised Brits speak only English, and the vast majority of Americans are unilingual as well. So, from your perspective, language would be a huge barrier. But not as much for Europeans.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And that, in a nutshell us the problem, from a British perspective - in practical terms, people all across Europe are prepped to relocate to the UK, and so many do.

But how on earth could I expect to find a job in Germany or Italy if I don't, and likely can't speak the language? .... People are frequently told on BE that you can't move to [insert name of any European country other than Ireland, Malta, and maybe Cyprus] and have much hope of finding work unless you speak the local language, even the Netherlands where English is very widely spoken, and usually to a better (more grammatical) standard than many people in the UK!
But if I'm correct you seem to have only lived in English speaking countries? UK/US?

School in the UK is/was completely useless for learning a foreign language. You have to live in the culture that speaks it.

At school I had 5 years of French and passed O level with a grade 2 and one year of German which I chose to drop because of curriculum clashes with geography, which interested me more.

Sometime later I began to improve my French because my then girlfriend and my present wife of 45 years and counting had a French mother and we spent time in France (as we still do).

However, perhaps interestingly. later again I took a job in Germany and became fluent in that tongue, to the detriment of my French. I found that I only had space in my immense brain for one foreign language at a time.

My present situation is better. The parts of that brain which were concerned with career have been reclaimed and now I'm able to switch more or less successfully and effortlessly between English, German and French (in order of fluency).

This bonus was unplanned but one of the most important achievements I've pulled off (leaving the career thing out of it).

I pity monolinguals. It's not being able to talk to other people, but to be able to understand their cultures.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 25th 2017 at 9:06 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas
.... But what you're dimissing is that most Europeans speak at least two languages fluently. ....
No I'm not, but very often it's their native language and English! Which is why the UK has a problem with FOM, and was a very major factor, if not THE factor behind the Brexit vote!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:18 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Whoopie-doo for your husband! I have absolutely no confidence that I could grasp even a basic understanding of a foreign language even if my life depended on it. I tried two different languages at high school and found one difficult, and the other worse! My high school French teacher told my mother that me getting a bare-minimum passing grade in French at age 16 (GCSE), was a "bloody miracle".

But how on earth could I expect to find a job in Germany or Italy if I don't, and likely can't speak the language? .... People are frequently told on BE that you can't move to [insert name of any European country other than Ireland, Malta, and maybe Cyprus] and have much hope of finding work unless you speak the local language, even for the Netherlands where English is very widely spoken, and usually to a better (more grammatical) standard than many people in the UK!

I used to work for a Dutch company, but the idea of moving to the head office was just pie in the sky, even though all the Dutch colleagues I ever met spoke excellent English, I would have been required to interview in Dutch to get a job there.
As a non-Brit I can assure you that is NOT TRUE !!!
Everyone I know in an EU country that choose to learn English did NOT do that to move to the UK !!!!
I think you just exposed the obsession in the UK ! As if the UK is that attractive to EU people
Off course, there are the ones that fancy a job there, but generalizing like that is just laughable ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.