Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WiFi Signal Extender for Jazztel users

WiFi Signal Extender for Jazztel users

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 11:28 am
Just Joined

LizFox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WiFi Signal Extender for Jazztel users

Just to let you know that if you're with Jazztel, you're best to buy a Wifi signal extender through them cos I bought a Netgear one and it isn't easy to connect to my Jazztel router - and since buying it I've found it would've been cheaper from Jazztel too. Hohum. Are we worried, no. Life's too short!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WiFi Signal Extender for Jazztel users

As a matter of interest I've tried a couple of these so-called extenders including a Netgear model. Despite positive reviews I found it near impossible to set up so sent it back.
Anyone found one that's easy to install and works?
What make is the one Jazztel have supplied?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 12:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I had some problems with a Netgear extender. I eventually went for the TP-Link home plug system where you connect the router to the first mains unit and you can then connect any number of slave units around the place.

I have one basic (non WiFi) unit feeding all the AV kit and two others which are WiFi elsewhere in the house. If I want WiFi outside I just move one out to a socket in the garden.

They work faultlessly are very easy to setup.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...im_computers_1
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fred, I've got a couple of these installed, one connected to my router and the other in the lounge giving me excellent ethernet connectivity to equipment there.
I just wanted a simple and effective way of boosting wireless coverage as my Ipad only gets 2 bars in the lounge. Good enough, but it would be great to see full strength.
But as I said, both extenders I've tried were IMO useless.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 1:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you already have the TP Link home plug system you can just add a WiFi plug to the existing system and get better WiFi coverage.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you already have the TP Link home plug system you can just add a WiFi plug to the existing system and get better WiFi coverage.
Thanks Fred. When you say 'WiFi plug', do I assume you mean an extender of some type which has an ethernet socket which can connect in to my lounge TP Link system and then broadcast wireless from that?
Any recommendations?
Thanks again.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 1:47 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I am with CableSur on Wimax and the router provided is a Linksys/Cisco WRP400 but it is a fairly low level output on WiFi so kept losing the signal around the house and with more and more need for portable thingys unless actually in the room where incomer is it was making life difficult.

Bought a D-Link Powerline starter kit comprising a pair to extend via mains and it was a doddle to install the pair - which I set up initially using a double plug so there were no potential cabling problems.
Just plug mains converter into a spare socket in the back of router and remote unit into a computer and follow the easy guide wizard. Total time 3 mins.

This system works perfectly, the next expansion will be another remote unit (to cover a still weak spot).

When I bought the kit (special offer from Daymo Informatica (daymo.net) in Granada who are part of the distributor network of Computer Store the guy there said to make sure I stuck with D-Link as the protocols differ between manufacturers although meeting the international standards and it might lead to a mismatch.
As all my kit is D-Link and Cisco not a hard thing to do.

hth

Last edited by Domino; Feb 22nd 2014 at 1:50 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

"This system works perfectly, the next expansion will be another remote unit (to cover a still weak spot)."

Thanks for that, but surely adding another unit will just give you wider ethernet expansion not wireless? Or are you saying these units, when plugged in, also broadcast wi-fi?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Biffta
"This system works perfectly, the next expansion will be another remote unit (to cover a still weak spot)."

Thanks for that, but surely adding another unit will just give you wider ethernet expansion not wireless? Or are you saying these units, when plugged in, also broadcast wi-fi?
Absolutely! There is also an Ethernet socket, but the main reason for having one is to extend the WiFi range.

Our near neighbour only comes out for a few weeks in a year and I run a 50m extension cable across our land, with a TP-Link box at the end in a polybag in a bucket to keep the weather out and they pick up the WiFi signal from about 20m with no problem.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now I am confused! As I said in my other posting I've two of these plugged into the mains and my internet is accessible via Ethernet in another room. Are these what you are talking about? If so, they don't transmit wi-fi also as far as I'm aware. You seem to suggest that these units have an Ethernet socket and the received signal via Ethernet is then re-broadcast via wireless from them.
Am I correct in this interpretation? If so which units provide this facility please?
Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Now I am confused! As I said in my other posting I've two of these plugged into the mains and my internet is accessible via Ethernet in another room. Are these what you are talking about? If so, they don't transmit wi-fi also as far as I'm aware. You seem to suggest that these units have an Ethernet socket and the received signal via Ethernet is then re-broadcast via wireless from them.
Am I correct in this interpretation? If so which units provide this facility please?
Thanks.
http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/temp/PMD/844..._v1.00(UK).pdf
is a typical manual (UK version but I use the Spanish plugged version)
alternatively, have a look at the D-link website for the varied range of products
if you are already committed to TP-link they also have a range, not just the one item

you plug the "master" into the mains and a spare internet socket on the back of your router, this then puts the internet onto the mains.
then plug a "slave" into the mains, small configuration with your pc and you can then move it into the far end of the house or wherever and just plug into a mains socket. This will then give you a WiFi output and also a socket enabling you to plug in using the standard internet cable.

this means you don't need to run cables all round the house upsetting the BH.
the cost of additional slaves is about €30 but they must be by the same manufacturer and away you go. TBH it is so cost effective you could put one in every room if you needed to, especially if you had children trying to get on the internet for homework etc.
all you have to remember is that if a large house or one with more than one phase, as with baby alarms, both master and slave have to be on the same phase.

hth
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Domino
all you have to remember is that if a large house or one with more than one phase, as with baby alarms, both master and slave have to be on the same phase.

hth
Not true, they work across phases. We have a 3 phase supply so I can vouch for that.

Don't ask me to explain how they do that, but they do.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Domino said:-
"you plug the "master" into the mains and a spare internet socket on the back of your router, this then puts the internet onto the mains.
then plug a "slave" into the mains, small configuration with your pc and you can then move it into the far end of the house or wherever and just plug into a mains socket. This will then give you a WiFi output and also a socket enabling you to plug in using the standard internet cable."

Thanks for that I have two units and understand what they do as you describe. What I didn't know is that the slave unit in another part of the house also gives out a wi-fi signal. My TP Link units certainly don't.
I will have to do some more research!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Just did a bit of research and discovered that some power line units do indeed have a wireless transmitting feature. One learns all the time!
Got my eye on a TP Link one on Amazon to replace the one in my lounge. It appears it provides Ethernet link from my router via the electrical wiring and also emits a wi-fi signal. Sounds perfect..........if it works of course!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:29 am

If your router has a WPS button, then it's just a question of plug it in, press the button on the router and then the button on the unit - no further setup required!

Once setup you can unplug it and move it to another socket without having to set it up again.