Windows XP

Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windows XP

Has anybody had recent problems with Windows XP

Running fine this morning but I closed it down at lunch.

On rebooting I got a message saying I had to validate within 3 days, which is curious as I have been using it for years.

Anyway it would not validate and microsoft want me to spend $149 on a copy of Windows 7

I already have Windows 7 but I do not like it and would prefer to stick with xp

all constructive recommendations welcome
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:53 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windows XP

Microsoft is dropping XP in April 2014. No more updates or patches. Time to move on.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Microsoft is dropping XP in April 2014. No more updates or patches. Time to move on.
I prefer Linux to Windows 7
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like an opportunistic third party application looking to milk you of money. A bit like the pop ups that say "you have a virus - click here for instant removal/fix".
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jonboy
It sounds like an opportunistic third party application looking to milk you of money. A bit like the pop ups that say "you have a virus - click here for instant removal/fix".
That was one of my thoughts, However I tried Windows update which had been working previously and it required that I activate my XP
Old Feb 4th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I seen this, as a last resort I suppose you could give it a go. I am not saying you should you understand

http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Wind...ne-Product-Key

Last edited by jonboy; Feb 4th 2014 at 3:14 pm. Reason: I forgot to post the link!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...alf-years.html

Seems there are a lot of people in a similar position to you.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 3:30 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

My Sky Yahoo mail keeps asking me to log in, if I do it freezes the computer. I can access my email in box a few times a week with no log in, apparently Sky Yahoo know about this fault that affects hundreds of thousands of users, but do bugger all about it.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jonboy
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...alf-years.html

Seems there are a lot of people in a similar position to you.
Thanks jonboy that was the situation I was in hardware changes and all, even though there has been no changes.

Update

When I first tried to reactivate the popup took me to Firefox my preferred program and informed me to download an addon, I did this and proceeded to activate only to get a message saying activation had failed and a second message saying the addon had failed to install.
I therefore opened IE and tried to activate from there and was informed I could no longer buy XP and suggested I purchased 7 at $149

Rebooted and still reactivate message.

I then disabled Firefox, rebooted and clicked the reactivate message which then took me to IE were I carried out the procedure successfully.
The message to reactivate didn't disappear so I rebooted again.

On the final boot the message was there still but has now disappeared on the boot up being completed.

So fingers crossed all is OK for a while.

Tomorrow will do a full backup of every file onto a spare hard disk just incase.

Note the activation was done without me having to re-enter my product key
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Thanks jonboy that was the situation I was in hardware changes and all, even though there has been no changes.

Update

When I first tried to reactivate the popup took me to Firefox my preferred program and informed me to download an addon, I did this and proceeded to activate only to get a message saying activation had failed and a second message saying the addon had failed to install.
I therefore opened IE and tried to activate from there and was informed I could no longer buy XP and suggested I purchased 7 at $149

Rebooted and still reactivate message.

I then disabled Firefox, rebooted and clicked the reactivate message which then took me to IE were I carried out the procedure successfully.
The message to reactivate didn't disappear so I rebooted again.

On the final boot the message was there still but has now disappeared on the boot up being completed.

So fingers crossed all is OK for a while.

Tomorrow will do a full backup of every file onto a spare hard disk just incase.

Note the activation was done without me having to re-enter my product key
Its quite normal.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Depends what you use it for, its hardly been updated in any respect and updates are not really warranted.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a scam, ISTR that XP never needed to be activated, that came in with WIN7
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:52 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Depends what you use it for, its hardly been updated in any respect and updates are not really warranted.
Quite agree, we keep one machine with XP because it's the only OS that some equipment can handle for diagnostics , repairs etc.

Suzi
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 5:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I prefer Linux to Windows 7
Plus, it's f r e e
(but not expensive)
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:38 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Sounds like a scam, ISTR that XP never needed to be activated, that came in with WIN7
No, it was introduced with Windows XP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.